FreeDraft - CAD

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
zorro

FreeDraft - CAD

#1 Post by zorro »

A slim, portable and apparently capable small CAD-solution for Windows.
Opens, edits and saves DWG and DXF, supports DWG-objects like blocks, layer, textstyles, linetypes (LIN), multiline-styles, layouts, ttf-fonts, AutoCad SHP/SHX-fonts, hatches (PAT) etc.
Website is in german, but easy to navigate.

System requirements: "Windows" - I looked closer at the libraries, should run on Win 98 - Win 10, tested on Win 8.1 x64
Size: 21MB uncompressed
Version: 1.0 (it's unlikely that it evolves)
License: Freeware
Screenshot:
freedraft.jpg
Portability: writes settings to application folder, automatic relative paths - don't know
Stealth: yes, nothing written outside the application folder, no registry entries

database-entry: https://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2930

I didn't test it that much, but it looks like it's the perfect solution for small/quick drawings or editing existing files. Opened a relatively complex DWG-drawing (architectural situation plan) without problems, that's by far more than any other free or "light" CAD-software managed in my tests (I'm architect and play around with CAD since 1997)
Also noticeable: blazing fast start and smooth working (well, it's light), very stable.
Last edited by zorro on Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Midas

Re: FreeDraft - CAD

#2 Post by Midas »

Great find. Especially since a search for "CAD" in TPFC's database turns up empty... 8)

OT: Yay! for my palindromic post nr. 3993... :mrgreen:

__philippe

#3 Post by __philippe »

@zorro
Seconding the thanks for FreeDraft DB new entry. Voted.

@Midas
Perhaps a new CAD/CAM entry needs defining within the /Graphics/ Categories ?

We could also include therein SolveSpace , definitely more spartan GUI than FreeDraft's,
but even leaner (6.5MB *.exe) 2D/3D program.

SolveSpace Forum discussion

Midas

#4 Post by Midas »

__philippe wrote: Perhaps a new CAD/CAM entry needs defining within the /Graphics/ Categories?
I am all in favor, mind you. But, if I understand it correctly, our local search does include program descriptions, and still nothing came up. Maybe SolveSpace entry could do with a little tweaking... Oh, I see now, SolveSpace isn't in the database, too.

Any brave portabilist for the task? I'd do it myself, but I don't do CAD at all.

webfork

#5 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:26 amAny brave portabilist for the task? I'd do it myself, but I don't do CAD at all.
This is one of the things that has kept freeware CAD programs out of the database: neither I nor anyone I know uses them.

EDIT: From the translated download page: https://translate.google.com/translate? ... soring.php ... appears to be registerware and seems to note a delay before launch on unsponsored version.

JohnW

#6 Post by JohnW »

Information in English is provided on the following site...

http://freedraft.findmysoft.com/

You can also download the program without any hassle (v 2.0)

zorro

#7 Post by zorro »

Wow! That's really interesting - because on the german (swiss) homepage there's no mention of the program evolving.

...and, after downloading from your link - where the file is called "FreeDraft 2.0.zip" - I have to disappoint you: it's not version 2.0, it's exactly the same version as on the homepage.
Anyway - the link is useful as it allows to download without "registration". On the other hand the file appears to be the same, but is renamed and does not come from the author's site.

Should I change the download-link in the database to this one? Advise from an old time member would be great.