ATTO Disk Benchmark

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Specular

ATTO Disk Benchmark

#1 Post by Specular »

Found a portable, storage drive (hard drive/SSD) benchmarking tool that is said to be recommended by manufacturers such as Corsair and Hitachi for benchmarking the read/write performance of their drives.

Site and download. Note: the download requires submitting an email address for the download link, however any disposal email address service can be used such as mailinator.com (which is what I used). I'm unsure how this site would normally handle this in database submissions.

Only traces it left behind were the following registry keys:

Code: Select all

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.bmk\OpenWithList
HKEY_USERS\<user>\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.bmk\OpenWithList
However the program doesn't actually appear in the Open With menu. Unsure if the keys were created because I opened a file with the program and its something Windows normally does or not. Maybe someone knows why these may have been created.

Also a tip: after opening a previously saved benchmark results file (.bmk) if you'd like to benchmark a different drive or result make sure to click the 'New' icon, otherwise benchmarking again and clicking 'Save' will overwrite the original benchmark file without warning.

Midas

Re: ATTO Disk Benchmark

#2 Post by Midas »

Specular wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:03 pmOnly traces it left behind were the following registry keys:

Code: Select all

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.bmk\OpenWithList
HKEY_USERS\<user>\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.bmk\OpenWithList
However the program doesn't actually appear in the Open With menu. Unsure if the keys were created because I opened a file with the program and its something Windows normally does or not. Maybe someone knows why these may have been created.
It looks like the program is creating some kind of file extension association, available when you right click a file and choose "Open with"; for a menu entry, you'd need more settings (e.g., stuff like the menu text, etc)...