CPix

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Zero3K

CPix

#1 Post by Zero3K »

CPix - A compact and fast photo viewer that supports MPO, encryption, format conversion, resizing and more

Features:

View images in popular formats: JPEG, GIF, PNG, TIFF, BMP, WBMP.
MPO(a Multi-Picture file format): View, Create from JPEG files, Extract JPEG files from MPO file.
EJPG(the Encrypted JPEG file format): View, Convert to and from JPEG files.
DualPhoto(a file format that contains two JPEG images in a single file, the 2nd image is encrypted): View, Create from JPEG files, Extract the 2nd image, Remove the 2nd image.
PL(the Photo List file format): View, Create from JPEG files, Extract JPEG files from PL file.
EMPO(the Encrypted MPO): View, Convert to and from MPO.
EPL(the Encrypted PL): View, Create from JPEG files, Extract JPEG files from EPL file.
Format Conversion: GIF/PNG/TIFF/BMP/WBMP to JPEG (All frames of GIF/TIFF are saved).
Format Conversion: GIF/TIFF to PNG (All frames are saved).
Format Conversion: Create multi-frame TIFF from BMP/JPEG/PNG files.
Image Resizing: JPEG, BMP, PNG.
Photo orientation (JPEG/TIFF) is supported in loading and format conversion.
Background color: you can either select one of the predefined colors or select your own favorite color.
Auto-play: you can let multi-frame images (TIFF/MPO/EMPO/PL/EPL) play animations automatically or not.
Animation speed: animation speed of multi-frame images (GIF/TIFF/MPO/EMPO/PL/EPL) can be changed.
View images with effects: eg. you can increase brightness of the image to view dark regions of the image more clearly, or you can view it in warm/cold color, etc.
Maximal memory: you can set maximal memory used by this program.
Switch directory: you can switch images in sibling directories.
Frame by frame viewing: you can view multi-frame images (GIF/TIFF/MPO/EMPO/PL/EPL) frame by frame.
Lock display region: this can be very useful when you compare two images of the same size.
Rotate or flip the image without affecting the image file.
Image order: by file name, file format, file size or last modification date and time.
Screenshots: http://www.snapfiles.com/screenshots/cpix.htm
Download: http://www.filefriend.net/CPix/en/CPix.zip
Size: 597 KB (Compressed) - 1.41 MB (Uncompressed)
License: Freeware
Last edited by Zero3K on Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zero3K

Re: CPix 1.2.0

#2 Post by Zero3K »

Can someone please add it to the listing of programs on the main site?

EDIT: I decided to go ahead and add it myself. Its listing is available at https://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2903.

webfork

#3 Post by webfork »

Looks like an interesting viewer but on the encryption piece:
  • EJPG(the Encrypted JPEG file format): View, Convert to and from JPEG files.
    DualPhoto(a file format that contains two JPEG images in a single file, the 2nd image is encrypted): View, Create from JPEG files, Extract the 2nd image, Remove the 2nd image.
    PL(the Photo List file format): View, Create from JPEG files, Extract JPEG files from PL file.
    EMPO(the Encrypted MPO): View, Convert to and from MPO.
    EPL(the Encrypted PL): View, Create from JPEG files, Extract JPEG files from EPL file.
I've never heard of any of these and couldn't find additional data on any of them (I didn't search exaustively). It does make me wonder if the various tools that claim to read inside ZIP, RAR, and 7Z files will view password-protected archives.
Can someone please add it to the listing of programs on the main site? EDIT: I decided to go ahead and add it myself
Normally I'd recommend waiting until someone verified whether or not it was portable but we are WAY behind on testing program submissions to the database. I am partially at fault for this just because I'm changing up my testing system and that process is dragging. Even still, waiting until there's solid interest is still probably a good idea since you've got to get the votes for the program to go live.

billon

#4 Post by billon »

Not stealth - silently associates with supported file formats, calls home, got 2 files in IE cache: version.txt and promotions.txt with unknown (encrypted? binary?) content
Last edited by billon on Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

billon

#5 Post by billon »

webfork wrote:I've never heard of any of these and couldn't find additional data on any of them (I didn't search exaustively). It does make me wonder if the various tools that claim to read inside ZIP, RAR, and 7Z files will view password-protected archives.
MPO, other formats are self-maded by the author and only supported by that program

Zero3K

#6 Post by Zero3K »

billon wrote:Not stealth - silently associates with supported file formats, calls home, got 2 files in IE cache: version.txt and promotions.txt with unknown (encrypted? binary?) content
Thanks. I'll let the developer know

EDIT: The version.txt contains the latest version that's available which it checks in order notify the user that a newer version is available for downloading from the site when it changes. I am not sure what the promotions.txt is for.

__philippe

#7 Post by __philippe »

billon wrote: Not stealth - silently associates with supported file formats, calls home, got 2 files in IE cache: version.txt and promotions.txt with unknown (encrypted? binary?) content
MPO, other formats are self-maded by the author and only supported by that program
@billon
Thanks for bringing out those worrisome, sneaky "features"
and also for providing the Jpeg MPO Multi-Picture format reference link.

As for the developer's own proprietary "cryptic" encryption formats (EJPG,EPL), (forgive the pleonasms), guess I'll steer well clear of them lot... :roll:

BTW, SoftwareCrew's review offers an insightful, well balanced perspective on CPix :

In a nutshell:
  • CPix is an unusual image viewer for Windows with a strong focus on multi-picture formats,
    including MPO, TIFFs and animated GIFs.
About the encryption formats:
    What you get instead are some custom file formats of the developer’s own.
    EJPG is an encrypted version of JPEG;
    DualPhoto files contain two JPEGs, one encrypted, one not;
    PL is used to store multiple JPEG photos in one file;
    EPL is an encrypted version of PL.

None of these formats can be used anywhere else, and we’re not sure they have much reason to exist.
    If you wanted to share a set of JPEGs, why not put them in an encrypted archive and view that?

webfork

#8 Post by webfork »

__philippe wrote:About the encryption formats
Thanks for the clarifictaion, philippe.

"Rolling your own" in security and cryptography is generally not a good idea for a long list of reasons, not the least of which being that even Ultra Security Experts make mistakes.

Zero3K

#9 Post by Zero3K »

Here's what the developer has to say about the file association and contacting home:
1. The readme.txt in CPix package says it will update the system registry for file associations. And if somebody doesn't like it, he/she can modify the default behavior via the menu item: Settings -> File associations.
2. The two txt files stores version information and some other information that CPix checks when it starts. For example, if there is a newer version available on the website of FileFriend, CPix will notify the user when it exits. You can verify it by running CPix 1.0 or 1.1.

Midas

Re: CPix (file viewer, editor and encrypter)

#10 Post by Midas »

CPix v1.3.1 released, dated 2017-11-11.

From the changelog file included in the download:

Code: Select all

Version 1.3.1, 11/11/2017
	Made the + and - keys on the number key pad zoom in and out like the + and - keys located across the top of the keyboard do.

Version 1.3.0, 10/04/2017
	Fixed a bug of setting Maximal memory.
	Changed program icon color from black to blue.
@Zero3K: please remove version info from your OP subject to improve retrievability. Thanks. :)
Last edited by Midas on Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zero3K

Re: CPix

#11 Post by Zero3K »

Okay. Its been done (sorry it took so long, I haven't been paying attention to this forum).

Midas

Re: CPix

#12 Post by Midas »

Topic update: CPix v2.5.1 released 2019-08-17, no changelog.