Portable Text Encryption

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
webfork

Portable Text Encryption

#1 Post by webfork »

A super simple text encryption program with a focus on simplicity, security, and stealth/portability. The program makes a point of being very simple and easy to understand, which is great.

I'm a fan of the text encryption/decryption in Password Tech, but like how straightforward this program is.

Functional on Linux/Windows and appears to be actively developed.

License: GPLv3

Steps: Download, unzip, and run windows\pte.exe

Issues:

* After encrypting, it prompts you both to save to clipboard and if you want to save the results to a file. I understand why the author set this up but I found it unnecessary. If you're frequently using a program like this, ideally it takes as few steps as possible to encrypt/decrypt/etc.
* The program includes several encryption protocols I would avoid. If you use this program, just use the defaults.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/portab ... encryptor/
https://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/ ... tion.shtml

BloodFeastMan

Re: Portable Text Encryption

#2 Post by BloodFeastMan »

Excellent critiques, and there is now a "light" version at the Sourceforge site which uses only AES-256 and eliminates the after-encryption dialogs.

webfork

Re: Portable Text Encryption

#3 Post by webfork »

BloodFeastMan wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 4:34 am Excellent critiques, and there is now a "light" version at the Sourceforge site which uses only AES-256 and eliminates the after-encryption dialogs.
Very cool, thanks