Snipaste

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Snipaste

Re: Snipaste 1.8.8

#31 Post by Snipaste »

@smaragdus

Glad to hear you had a wonderful day. :)
What was the reason for this change?
Because some users complained that F2 should not be the default hotkey because they used it for renaming. At first I tried to argue that using F2 is more intuive since it's right next to F1, just like Paste is after Snip, and there are alternative ways to rename a file. But few agreed with me. And if I insisted on not replacing F2, I received complains every few days. So... :cry:

As for me, I still use F1, F2, F3 for the actions, which is very fluent and efficient!
I can use F1 and then CTRL+A to capture full screen, but wouldn't be easier and handier if Snipaste has a dedicated (F) key for full screen capture?
I will enrich the actions triggered by global hotkeys in the future, such as delayed capture, fullscreen capture, chalkboard mode, etc.
Snipaste.exe shows file version 1.8.0.0 for versions 1.8.5, 1.8.6, 1.8.7, 1.8.8, etc. Wouldn't it be better and more precise if for example Snipaste.exe for version 1.8.9 shows file version 1.8.9.0, for version 2.4.3- file version- 2.4.3.0, etc?
I didn't pay much attention to this. I will make them consistent in future versions. Thanks for reminding!

smaragdus

Re: Snipaste

#32 Post by smaragdus »

@Snipaste

For me it is hard to imagine how can one complain about something which can be customized with just a few clicks. I know what F2 usually serves for and I often use it in file managers but for me its main function cannot be an obstacle to use this single key in Snipaste. More- Snipaste is not always running on my system- I start it only when I need it. So I prefer the old default keys because they come in a consecutive order and for me F2 is and cannot be a holy cow reserved for one single operation. Besides being very helpful you seem to be extremely tolerant too, if I were a developer I would have ignored such requests especially having in mind that Snipaste supports key customization. ;)

Out of curiosity I would like to ask- is Snipaste your first ever project? I am asking because although in early stage of development it seems very mature. But of course I won't get offended if you think that I am asking too much (which in fact is true) and choose not to answer. ;)

Snipaste has really become one of my favouite programs, once again- thank you very much for your excellent work.

Snipaste

#33 Post by Snipaste »

@smaragdus

It was because I had little experience coping with the users' feedback when Snipaste was released. In fact, I regreted immediately after I replaced F2. Using F3 is not elegant at all. :(

Snipaste is my first public project, but it's not in early stage of development at all. I have been using it myself (and sharing with a few friends) for over 2 years before I made it public. More stories can be found here (in Chinese).

webfork

#34 Post by webfork »

smaragdus wrote: thank you very much for your excellent work
Agreed

smaragdus

#35 Post by smaragdus »

@Snipaste
This new feature introduced in Snipaste version 1.9.0:
Allow to customize the pattern of image file names #98
is an excellent enhancement, I was thinking to suggest it, now I do not need to edit manually file names after saving, thanks!

smaragdus

Re: Snipaste 1.9.2

#36 Post by smaragdus »

In Preferences- Hotkey- List there s a Copy button which doesn't seem to work and I am not sure what it is supposed to do.

smaragdus

Re: Snipaste 1.10.1

#37 Post by smaragdus »

In Preferences- Hotkey- List there s a Copy button which doesn't seem to work and I am not sure what it is supposed to do.
In fact the Copy button copies the Internal Hotkeys window as image.

Snipaste at version 1.10.1, changes and downloads.

For me Snipaste is the smartest screen-capture tool I have ever used.

webfork

#38 Post by webfork »

Betanews ran a useful if brief analysis of Snipaste that I thought was a nice intro.

smaragdus

Re: Snipaste Pro

#39 Post by smaragdus »

For the first time I do not like a new version of Snipaste - 1.13.5:
The 'Rectangle' and 'Ellipse' are merged in the toolbar
which requires one more click to select for example 'Ellipse'. So I have to stick to Snipaste version 1.13.4.

It seems there will be a Pro (paid) version of Snipaste:
Snipaste Pro is for:
  • Advanced users who wish to enjoy more new features
  • Users who have very special needs
  • Business users
  • Users who acknowledge Snipaste's value and want to support the developer
It will include:
  • More advanced options for greater freedom of customization
  • Special features that are useful for users in some specific fields
  • Brand new and interesting/useful features that have not yet been revealed : )
Meanwhile, the free version of Snipaste will continue to update. All existing features will remain as they are and not be taken away.

However, I don't have much spare time in the coming months. It may take quite a long time for the Pro version to be released.
Source - https://github.com/Snipaste/feedback/issues/287.

webfork

Re: Snipaste Pro

#40 Post by webfork »

smaragdus wrote:It seems there will be a Pro (paid) version of Snipaste
Like your Filezilla news, this is not welcome but understandable news. Snipaste came into a very crowded area with a lot of great options and kept adding great new stuff. As a freeware advocate, I'm sorry to see so many programs taking a pro track, but I definitely prefer it over the bundleware/adware routes.

webfork

#41 Post by webfork »

The latest changelog suggests a Mac version is coming soon. Great news.