CherryPlayer - media stream player

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
shnbwmn

CherryPlayer - media stream player

#1 Post by shnbwmn »

Homepage: http://cherryplayer.com/
Softpedia review: http://www.softpedia.com/reviews/window ... 9728.shtml (2015)
GHacks review: http://www.ghacks.net/2013/04/05/cherry ... ic-player/ (2013)
CherryPlayer authors wrote:A unique multimedia player that combines all the benefits and advantages of a desktop player and the ability to play almost all types of streaming multimedia, such as video, audio, radio, and live broadcasts.

Built-in categorized playlists from YouTube allow to be aware of everything that happens in the world of entertainment, sports, movies and more. With the ability to login to user's channel Cherryplayer becomes a real YouTube player.

For gamers there is an opportunity to search and view streams on Twitch.tv with an ability to login to account there.

Music fans will find support of SHOUTcast, SoundCloud and VK services.

All this with the minimal usage of system resources, built-in codecs, intuitive interface and many other advantages makes CherryPlayer truly unsurpassed by convenience and functionality multimedia player.

Claims portability - untested.

Looks nice, although I have yet to try it. Seems to have some niche streaming features not found in other media players.

joby_toss

Re: CherryPlayer - media stream player

#2 Post by joby_toss »

My test (v2.4.2 7z package, 55 mb extracted): portable, not stealth (settings saved in data 2.0/settings.ini and trolltech registry keys).

Note: first impression is quite nice...

webfork

#3 Post by webfork »

Before I begin, I have to note trouble getting it to work with Youtube or SoundCloud so I'm not sure this is really ready for prime time. (edit: this may have been a bad test)

Anyway, I ran some informal tests because I really wanted this to be cool but home page is a bit light on details. Looks like a Russian developer.

License: Freeware

Requires: MS Visual C++ 2013 Redist https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/downloa ... x?id=40784

Results:

A very light test seems to indicate it's portable, writing to data 2.0\settings.ini.

It definitely writes standard Trolltech entries. Also writes some “imageformats” entries that I'm not clear on: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Trolltech\OrganizationDefaults\Qt Factory Cache 4.8\com.trolltech.Qt.QImageIOHandlerFactoryInterface:\C:\Users\A6AMBZZ\Downloads\CherryPlayer\imageformats

(It's also writing stuff to the temp file: qtsingleapp-Cherry-49a7-1-lockfile but that doesn't disqualify it from stealth status.)

Other notes:

* Solid, clean, friendly interface. I like how it integrates a lot of different services similar to Clementine

* Shoutcast player seemed to work on some of the provided stations, some not. No way to tell details about a given station (format, bitrate, etc)

* Downloader tool didn't seem to work or would send me to a broken URL: http://manage.cherryplayer.com/mp3_down ... -%20Suffer

*shrug*

joby_toss

#4 Post by joby_toss »

I had no trouble finding channels and watching videos on youtube.

webfork

#5 Post by webfork »

joby_toss wrote:I had no trouble finding channels and watching videos on youtube.
Thanks for checking. It may easily have been my network at the time of testing. I'll edit my post.

Napiophelios

#6 Post by Napiophelios »

I really like the way its laid out, everything is pretty intuitive.
It downloads Youtube videos pretty fast..so long as you want either low res quality (320p) or high res quality (720p) there is no in between.
The chat is not laggy which is good.
I actually prefer using this to browse/search for videos better than the actual site.

But it doesnt matter which combination of preferances I select for codecs,
I get no video....just audio. Even with video files already on my computer.

The videos show fine in my system media player so I know the system codecs work.

I listen to mostly podcasts and livestream debates so the video doesnt matter much
especially when it downloads vids as fast as it does.

All in all I like it
Its one to keep an eye on.

shnbwmn

#7 Post by shnbwmn »

Using this recently to watch YT videos without opening Firefox. Really like the seamless browsing and viewing experience. My only quip (so far) is that there isn't a way to hide the (rather large) interface, except to go full-screen. I like to put the window at the bottom-right of the screen and carry on with other stuff while a video plays.

smaragdus

Re: CherryPlayer 2.4.3

#8 Post by smaragdus »

CherryPlayer at version 2.4.3. It seems that CherryPlayer Pro - paid version is on the way.

smaragdus

Re: CherryPlayer 2.4.4

#9 Post by smaragdus »

CherryPlayer at version 2.4.4, changes:
1) fixed crash player
2) video list in YouTube subsscriptions looks the same to video list on official website, video list sorted by date
3) improved online music playback
4) fixed errors in reading some m3u playlists
5) fixed shown incorrect Arabic text in window title.

smaragdus

Re: CherryPlayer 2.4.5

#10 Post by smaragdus »

CherryPlayer at version 2.4.5, changes:
New features:

1) Added compact video mode. To enter in compact mode:
- click on icon "Enter compact mode" located over video near the fullscreen icon
- right click on video

Player window position and size is saved/restored during switching between normal and compact video modes.

2) Added sticking player window to the screen boundaries

Fixed:
1) Fixed errors in YouTube playback
2) Fixed errors in VK playback
3) Fixed broken 4shared.com music and video search
4) Fixed errors in "On Top" feature
5) Click on video quality button closes dropdown menu if it is visible
6) Player window can be moved if click on title of maximized window.

Midas

#11 Post by Midas »

Really digging CherryPlayer here. Shame about the aptly named Trolltech junk in the registry... :?

shnbwmn

#12 Post by shnbwmn »

Still seeing updates. Latest release 2.4.7, 23 June '18.
New features:

1. Save now history of browsing between playlists. Added two buttons "Previous" and "Next" to return to previously opened playlists. Added support hot keys 'Shift+Tab' to return to previous playlist(s) and 'Ctrl+Tab' to forward to next playlist(s).
Show context menu if left click and hold or right click on "Previous"/"Next" buttons. Show name of page on top bar after moving to previous/next ...
I had some trouble in an older release with downloading YT videos. Seems to be fixed now. Nice!

Also I see that there is a frameless viewing mode (which I alluded to previously). You can "snap" the frame to screen edges. Maybe dev reads here? Anyway, very nice!

smaragdus

Re: CherryPlayer 2.4.7

#13 Post by smaragdus »

After more than a year without updates there are lots of changes in CherryPlayer version 2.4.7 compared to version 2.4.6. I have just tested the latest version and my impressions are great- for me CherryPlayer is the most versatile, flexible powerful and fluent web player. When I have time I may send some suggestions to the developers. Several screens:

CherryPlayer version 2.4.7 - playlists - context menu (static image):

CherryPlayer version 2.4.7 - settings (static image):

CherryPlayer version 2.4.7 - settings - window settings (animated image):

CherryPlayer version 2.4.7 - settings - playback settings (animated image):

CherryPlayer version 2.4.7 - tray control - playback - start mode (static image):

CherryPlayer deffinitely has place in the database.

Midas

#14 Post by Midas »

FYI, you have a previous CherryPlayer version, only language files, 'DSEngine.dll' and 'CherryPlayer.exe' have changed.

Some findings: CherryPlayer can't play WMA streams; I couldn't figure how to search Shoutcast for particular sources; I couldn't find a way to check stream info like URL and bitrate... more to come.

Napiophelios

#15 Post by Napiophelios »

seems it won't play any of my (YouTube) playlists that are not public,
but it will play my liked videos, which are not public...weird.
other than that, this is dramatically better than the last time I tried it.