Portable Microsoft Virtual PC 2007

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
lococobra

#61 Post by lococobra »

Okay, I can't possibly expect all of you to recompile the program... so here you go.

If you're having the Virtual Monitor problem, put the following exe in the same folder as the regular "PortableVirtualPC.exe" and then try running it.

Download the file Here

This is not a solution, but I'd like to know if it works. The only thing different in the program, is I gave the program start up a 30 second extra delay.

Please post your results.

matrixblue

#62 Post by matrixblue »

I recompiled and did the update and seems to be working fine.

The only issue I still seem to be having is when I close Virtual PC it disconnects me from the internet for a few moments.

Anyone know how I can get around that?

lococobra

#63 Post by lococobra »

Yeah, thats what I figured, the problem isn't that the VMM Driver isn't installing... it's just not installing fast enough. For the time being, people who have the problem can use the fixed version, but I'll be looking for a more elegant fix.

As for the internet disconnect, there's no way around it. In order to install (and uninstall) the VMNetSvc, some network settings must be reconfigured, which results in a short drop out.

Netgirl

#64 Post by Netgirl »

Thanks lococobra, I will have the opportunity to try your patch in in the next few days.

Kind Regards,
Netgirl

theboydanny

#65 Post by theboydanny »

I'm following this topic with _much_ interest. Will try the Virtual pc during this week, and let you know my experiences. But it sounds like great stuff.

ssanai

Thanks so much ~~

#66 Post by ssanai »

lococobra, I think I love you~ ^^; What a Great job!

I have two questions.

1. Is it legal to make and distribute the launcher?

I am just wondering about it. I know there is no file from virtual PC in your files so, I guess it's legit but I have no idea.

2. If it's legal, can I upload your files on my forum ( Korean forum) ?

Thanks~~

lococobra

#67 Post by lococobra »

Legal? I honestly don't know, I haven't been contacted by Microsoft, and I don't think I'm breaking any laws since I'm not really decompiling their code or anything.

The file you can download from my page does contain some Microsoft files (like the msxml installer), but it does not contain Virtual PC files.

Please do not host my files anywhere else, but feel free to link to them, and give credit where credit's deserved :)

Queue

#68 Post by Queue »

Any news on this? I've been eagerly awaiting a version of this where you detect the process being finished rather than just relying on a fixed delay.

What are you options in this regard?

Loading things one by one and waiting on each (it sounded like that was an option you didn't want to pursue)?

Executing everything then starting a relatively fast loop (half second?) that checks that everything's loaded before continuing?

Regardless, this is a pretty spiffy project.

Queue

lococobra

#69 Post by lococobra »

Yeah, I already do the second method, run all the installers then loop and wait until they are all done. The problem is, simply checking for the presence of the correct files does not always mean the driver/service is done installing.

Queue

#70 Post by Queue »

Oh duh, of course. Executed != ready.

Hm, so you need some way of asking the service if it's ready, correct?

Queue

lococobra

#71 Post by lococobra »

I just found a way to do it :)

Previously I had only checked for the VMNetSvc.dll in the system32 directory... I'm not looking at my code so don't quote me on that..

Now I've found that there is also a service installed for that, I forget the name... but it isn't what you'd expect.

I'll use "sc query" to detect when that service becomes present.

lococobra

#72 Post by lococobra »

Version 1.25 is now availible! Please check it for bugs and I will fix them ASAP.. this was kind of a rush job, so I probably did something wrong, however... the major change in this update is:

No one should get that VMNetSvc bug anymore! I HOPE!

Changelog:

Code: Select all

Version 1.25 - April 17, 2008
• Added: Automatic updater
• Fixed: VMNetSvc startup bug -> Resulting in much faster startup time

Version 1.23 - March 12, 2008
• Changed: Service detection now uses a more generalized search string to avoid language issues
edit: Haha, didn't even put a link to it... it's Here

m^(2)

#73 Post by m^(2) »

Doesn't work :(
One or more of the child processes started by portable virtual pc have not completed after the allotted 90 seconds. Portable Virtual PC will now attempt to clean up the mess it made...

Code: Select all

[CrashLog]
msxmlu=3
keys=
vals=
mydoc=0
appdataflag=1
vmmd=1
vmnet=0

lococobra

#74 Post by lococobra »

Okay, problem... solved? Not sure, I need to work on it more, but here's 1.26, which should at least fix your problem.

Try just running PVPC, it should auto-update.

Also available at my site if you want to update that way

Tuesday I'll take some real time to run regshot tests and fix any remaining cleanup issues.

m^(2)

#75 Post by m^(2) »

Cannot test if it's fixed. I got major problems with my OS and I had to reinstall it. Now 1.25 works correctly..