Veneta Viewer

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
smaragdus

Re: Veneta Viewer

#16 Post by smaragdus »

@riciery8910

I use APNG almost exclusively for animated images, APNG is very common for this site too. For me APNG is superior to GIF. I hope you will reconsider adding support for APNG in the future.

A simple demonstration of APNG file:

Regards

riciery8910

#17 Post by riciery8910 »

Ok, I might try it, also I think I'm gonna rewrite the code for GIF animations to allow Pan/Zoom.

EDIT:

@smaragdus

Can you please send me more samples of APNG images, including ones with high framerates/less delay, and one with more than 100 frames?

Is there APNG images that has variable frame delay? If so, that would be very hard to implement in the way the program was designed.
The way I did it was simply disassembling each individual frame then loading them normally as a sequence.

EDIT 2:

New build is up on SourceForge, added support for APNG and improved loading of GIF animations, one thing missing though is proper reading of frame delay,
by default the application starts with 24 fps.

riciery8910

Veneta Viewer 1.1.2

#18 Post by riciery8910 »

Hello,

I've updated the program to support APNG animations, have better GIF loading, A-B loop playback, and now the Fps counter accepts floating point values.
There are still issues with the delay interpretation, I might fix that in the future.

Now the slider is different to allow frame range selection:

Download it here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/veneta ... %20Viewer/

riciery8910

Re: Veneta Viewer 1.1.2

#19 Post by riciery8910 »

Updated to version 1.1.3:

Disabled a feature that uses the registry to display a friendly app name,
if you used the program before and want to delete the key, it's located at:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\Veneta.exe

smaragdus

#20 Post by smaragdus »

@riciery8910

I tested version 1.1.2 but I suppose the same would apply for version 1.1.3.

For me it is not a good idea to use FFmpeg to render images. Veneta Viewer has become very slow. Also when opening APNG files FFmpeg disassembles them inside the viewed folder.

In short- better no support for APNG than the current support via FFmpeg. The only thing I liked about these new FFmpeg releases is that 7Z is used in stead of ZIP.

Portable Freeware Update sub-forum is used for updates of program currently listed in the database, Veneta Viewer is not yet in the database. Better use Veneta Viewer thread for all Veneta Viewer updates until it is added to the database.

@moderators
This thread may be merged with Veneta Viewer thread.

riciery8910

#21 Post by riciery8910 »

@smaragdus

Sorry, for posting in the wrong section.
When you say it's become very slow with FFmpeg your're talking when loading an animation or zooming/panning it?

I'm asking asking this because I'm experiencing these random issues with performance myself when panning/zooming since the first version. I guess it has to do with GPU memory and hardware acceleration used by other programs
like internet browsers.

Using FFmpeg has some benefits like loading an animation as an image sequence, so the A-B loop will work as well as scrubbing the frame slider.
But apart from that I will search for better solution than FFmpeg.

Thank you

smaragdus

#22 Post by smaragdus »

@riciery8910
When you say it's become very slow with FFmpeg your're talking when loading an animation or zooming/panning it?
I have an overall impression that these new FFmpeg versions of Veneta Viewer (after version 1.0.6) open all image files (not only animated images) slower compared to non-FFmpeg versions of Veneta Viewer (prior to version 1.1.0). I wonder- can LIBPNG (Website, Project) be used in Veneta Viewer?

Regards

riciery8910

#23 Post by riciery8910 »

@smaragdus

Yes, the images are being loaded slower because GIFs and PNGs are being scanned by FFmpeg for a possible sequence, I've decided to leave that way because in my machine it didn't had much impact,

I've tought about using libpng, bud it would add much complexity to my code, since I'm using exclusively FreeImage.

Maybe I should add an option to disable/skip animation check?
I'll investigate if LIBPNG can determine very fast if an image is a part of an amination.

Thank you.

smaragdus

#24 Post by smaragdus »

@riciery8910

There is nothing to thank me for. I appreciate your efforts to improve Veneta Viewer. All I can do is test it from time to time and share my opinion. I still think that pre-FFmpeg versions worked better and rendered images faster. For me FFmpeg is not very suitable to be used with image viewers. I prefer no support for APNG than support via FFmpeg- for me the program size and RAM usage do not matter- I just think that FFmpeg slows down Veneta Viewer.

Regards

riciery8910

#25 Post by riciery8910 »

Veneta has a new update:

1.2.0 - Now the program will not check for every single PNG or GIF image if it's a frame of an animation, only animated files will be converted and loaded as sequence.

webfork

#26 Post by webfork »

smaragdus wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 3:50 am @moderators This thread may be merged with Veneta Viewer thread.
Although Andrew has a stated preference for keeping update and primary threads separate, I agree that there's enough topic overlap with the update posts and the main thread to warrant putting them together.

webfork

#27 Post by webfork »

I came back to this program to check it out as the most recent update was in July, but unfortunately it's 64-bit only and I'm still working in a 32-bit environment.

License: GPLv3

riciery8910

#28 Post by riciery8910 »

webfork wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:45 pm I came back to this program to check it out as the most recent update was in July, but unfortunately it's 64-bit only and I'm still working in a 32-bit environment.

License: GPLv3
The x86 build isn't working for you?
https://sourceforge.net/projects/veneta ... z/download

webfork

#29 Post by webfork »

riciery8910 wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:17 am The x86 build isn't working for you? https://sourceforge.net/projects/veneta ... z/download
Sorry, you're right, there is an x86 version. Unfortunately I retested it and we're unfortunately getting a crash on launch:

A case has been submitted but I'm not clear if this is still an active project.

riciery8910

#30 Post by riciery8910 »

Do you have an antivirus enabled? I've tested the x86 version on a clean install of windows 10 64bit and the windows defender detected it as trojan.