Keypirinha - Windows Launcher

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
I am Baas

Keypirinha - Windows Launcher

#1 Post by I am Baas »

[Mod note: the present is Keyprinha's official forum topic; https://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=2926]

Keypirinha is a semantic launcher for keyboard ninjas on Windows.
http://keypirinha.com/

Dl version 2.3 @ http://keypirinha.com/releases/keypirin ... rtable.zip

webfork

Re: Keypirinha - Windows Launcher - 64bit Only

#2 Post by webfork »

Ha! I downloaded it and was ready to test before I saw the 64-bit only bit in the subject heading. I guess we should expect to start seeing that more often going forward.

File Data

• Filename: keypirinha-2.3-x64-portable.zip
    MD5: 0FEF668643245B764B0CAF03A035AD6E
    SHA1: 9F1364CC7FD0526A28A83D354261785D0A8AA527
    SHA256: 4232A8CA945F5277D3281C54DEE4D8A1CC9CFF7558B6EDB8E75110EFFCAB0A77
    VirusTotal Rating: 0/56
    VirusTotal URL: https://www.virustotal.com/file/4232a8c ... /analysis/

freakazoid

#3 Post by freakazoid »

Looks good.

Compressed filesize is 8.6MB, so I haven't tested this yet because Executor still does a fine job with a smaller filesize.

Might give this a try down the road though.
is it stealth? ;)

shnbwmn

#4 Post by shnbwmn »

Tried this out today, and looking good. This stands out immediately from the competition (even my favourite FARR) for its use of manual config files. I think that anyone with some knowledge of AHK or creating batch files will appreciate that.

Unfortunately the program doesn't (seem to) allow relative paths (under "extra_paths" within Configure Packages>Apps), which is a bummer. Maybe the dev will be kind enough to add that. Until then it can't be considered a fully portable launcher :(
Spoiler!   

Code: Select all

# * Example:
#   * extra_paths = X:\MyDir
#     Catalog every non-hidden executable files (identified by the PATHEXT
#     environment variable), directly located under X:\MyDir (non-recursive)
#   * extra_paths = X:\MyDir\*.lnk
#     Catalog every non-hidden *.lnk files directly located under
#     X:\MyDir (non-recursive)
#   * extra_paths = X:\MyDir\**\
#     RECURSIVELY catalog every non-hidden executable files (identified by the
#     PATHEXT environment variable), located under X:\MyDir and its sub-folders.
#     NOTICE the trailing path separator here!!!
#   * extra_paths = X:\MyDir\**
#     RECURSIVELY catalog every non-hidden files, located under X:\MyDir and
#     its sub-folders.
#   * extra_paths = X:\MyDir\**\*.lnk
#     RECURSIVELY catalog every *.lnk files, located under X:\MyDir and its
#     sub-folders.
#   * extra_paths =
#       C:/an/extra/dir
#       C:/some/extra*/files.ext
#       C:\some\extra*\unknown\*.ext
#       ${env:MY_ENV_VAR}/*
#       D:/base/${env:ANOTHER_ENV_VAR}.*
#       ::{ab5fb87b-7ce2-4f83-915d-550846c9537b}
#       ::{ab5fb87b-7ce2-4f83-915d-550846c9537b}/*.avi
# * Default: no extra path configured
Last edited by shnbwmn on Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Midas

#5 Post by Midas »

Have you tried the workaround detailed at viewtopic.php?p=69797#p69797 and following? It turns relative paths into absolute at launch...

shnbwmn

#6 Post by shnbwmn »

Midas wrote:Have you tried the workaround detailed at viewtopic.php?p=69797#p69797 and following? It turns relative paths into absolute at launch...
I was about to delete my post because after further testing it does indeed support relatives. I jumped to that conclusion because the readme made no mention of it and I didn't bother to test out simply adding \PortableApps\**\ ... :oops:

Thanks for the link to that code though; it will come in handy at some point.

I am Baas

#7 Post by I am Baas »

Keypirinha v2.4 is available (2016-03-24)

http://keypirinha.com/changelog.html

polyvertex

#8 Post by polyvertex »

Hi, I'm the author of Keypirinha, thanks for the nice words :)
shnbwmn wrote:Unfortunately the program doesn't (seem to) allow relative paths
It does allow you to use current application install path by using the ${var:APP_DIR} variable in any configuration file. The Pre-defined variables section of the documentation might be of interest to you.

smaragdus

Re: Keypirinha 2.6.1

#9 Post by smaragdus »

@polyvertex
Welcome to the forum. I am on a x64 system but I don't get why you don't release a x32 version.

Keypirinha at version 2.6.1 (2016-06-10).

polyvertex

#10 Post by polyvertex »

smaragdus wrote:I am on a x64 system but I don't get why you don't release a x32 version.
There's no hard technical reason per se as the code itself in its current state would not need any change. In fact, the early and unpublished versions of the project were 32bit only. Keypirinha targets recent desktop Windows (7, 8, 10) which belong to the x64 era, an x32 version would also mean more maintenance (dependencies, tests, debugging), which would imply more time: a finite resource. That being said, I haven't received any request for a x32 release so far.

webfork

#11 Post by webfork »

polyvertex wrote:Keypirinha targets recent desktop Windows (7, 8, 10) which belong to the x64 era, an x32 version would also mean more maintenance (dependencies, tests, debugging), which would imply more time: a finite resource. That being said, I haven't received any request for a x32 release so far.
I think we're still a few years away from where you need to only distribute a 64 bit version of a program as there are still a significant number of 32 bit systems out there. Anyway, more to the point, I'm still on one of those so I can't test your program without it.

Still I understand the issue of limited time so sticking with 64-bit makes sense. Google and Apple both have stepped away from 32-bit in an increasing number of areas, so there's plenty of precedent.

polyvertex

#12 Post by polyvertex »

webfork wrote:I think we're still a few years away from where you need to only distribute a 64 bit version of a program as there are still a significant number of 32 bit systems out there. Anyway, more to the point, I'm still on one of those so I can't test your program without it.

Still I understand the issue of limited time so sticking with 64-bit makes sense. Google and Apple both have stepped away from 32-bit in an increasing number of areas, so there's plenty of precedent.
I develop Keypirinha as a hobby so yes, I have to prioritize its development tasks more than I would like to unfortunately. Sorry that keeps you away from at least trying it. I'm currently focusing on core features which are partly based on remarks made by users.

I understand your frustration though and it is one of the reasons why I first migrated my system from x86 to x64. Some development tools I was using were not yet available (or stable) for x64 systems, and some other tools I wanted to use or to try were 64-bit only... But that was about 3 years ago IIRC, so I'm curious about the reason(s) that make you stay in the 32-bit land as it's obvious that you'll have to struggle more and more against the flow?

webfork

#13 Post by webfork »

polyvertex wrote:But that was about 3 years ago IIRC, so I'm curious about the reason(s) that make you stay in the 32-bit land as it's obvious that you'll have to struggle more and more against the flow?
The reason I'm remaining at 32-bit is because this site is focused on portability and I need to try and represent what are probably the median group of devices people are going to run into. If you're at a library, cafe, or computer lab, it's by and large going to be Win7x32.

polyvertex

#14 Post by polyvertex »

For those who are interested into a 32-bit release of Keypirinha, a request has been made recently and needs more votes to be pushed up in the priority list.

webfork

#15 Post by webfork »

polyvertex wrote:For those who are interested into a 32-bit release of Keypirinha, a request has been made recently and needs more votes to be pushed up in the priority list.
Actually, I think the dev has -- in a very nice way -- said "no thanks".