SynPad

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
TP109

SynPad

#1 Post by TP109 »

Came across this text editor, SynPad, while researching File Navigator. It's small (1.77MB), quick launching, and has tabs, syntax highlighting and more. Tests show it can open a 250MB file without crashing. Although it throws an out of memory error with a 500MB test file, it doesn't crash and the UI continues to be usable; unusual behavior compared to other editors I've tested. Tested portability with PRIMO and it seems to be portable. Settings can be saved to an ini file with Tools->Options->General and checking "store options in the INI file". Testing it now for stability.

Few editors I've seen so far have this combination of speed, features, size, and file handling capabilities.

SynPad
Homepage and download: http://relaxander.webest.net/synpad/

Supports syntax highlight for the following languages: Asm, C/C++, C#, Cobol, Delphi, VB, VB Script, HTML, PHP, Perl, CSS, XML, Java, Java Script, InstallShield Script, Lua, SQL, IDL, FoxPro, Python, Ruby, TeX. Also supports BAT, INI and RC syntax.
Highlighting of embedded scripts in HTML files (JS, PHP)
Tabbed user interface
Supports vertical blocks
Block operations: case changing, sorting, sum calculation
Paragraph alignment, including justified
Supported code pages: ANSI, OEM, KOI8R, KOI8U, UTF-8, ISO 8859-5, Mac, Unicode
Search and replace with ability to use regular expressions
Auto save
Bookmarks like in the Borland IDE (Ctrl+Shift+0..9 - set, Ctrl+0..9 - jump)
Matching brackets highlighting
Ability to remember caret position in recently opened files
Keyboard macros
Character Map
Ability to store settings in the INI-file
Export to HTML and RTF
Auto closing HTML and XML tags
Ability to plug in help files (.HLP or .CHM)

Version 1.2.11.68 of May 6, 2011
Last edited by TP109 on Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:40 am, edited 3 times in total.

I am Baas

Re: SynPad

#2 Post by I am Baas »

Both the SynPad.exe Properties / File version and the About box say it is version 1.2.11.69

Code: Select all

Name: \synpad\SynPad.exe
File Size: 1807360 Byte(s) (1.72 MB)
Version: 1.2.11.69
MD5: 05063606126a10716085828cf652c367
SHA1: 99229f57e07b5439b83cda1099d4951cf482383b
Anyways...

Tested: Portable

Note: create an empty SynPad.ini file in the application folder prior to launching the application the first time, otherwise it will write to the registry.

TP109

#3 Post by TP109 »

Good catch. I cut and pasted the info from the developers site and didn't notice the version difference. Apparently, the developer hasn't updated the page or made any great effort to promote this app. Thanks for testing.

Midas

#4 Post by Midas »

Thanks for that, TP109. I meant to make a post about SynPad, but the thought kept slipping away... ;)

Pretty rounded set of features in a minute package. The absence of active URLs is the only flaw I could point at at this stage. Sadly for me, that's a deal breaker...
I am Baas wrote:Note: create an empty SynPad.ini file in the application folder prior to launching the application the first time, otherwise it will write to the registry.
As I'm lazy, please tell me the whereabouts of those registry changes, my prestiged colleague... :mrgreen:

I am Baas

#5 Post by I am Baas »

Midas wrote:
I am Baas wrote:Note: create an empty SynPad.ini file in the application folder prior to launching the application the first time, otherwise it will write to the registry.
  • As I'm lazy, please tell me the whereabouts of those registry changes, my prestiged colleague... :mrgreen:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\SynPad]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\SynPad\Settings]

smaragdus

#6 Post by smaragdus »

I get a strange error message when I try to change the encoding to UTF-8 (View->Encoding->UTF-8):
SynPad 1.2.11.69 - 2016-05-22 - error - 001.png
Has someone else experienced the same problem or it is just me? I couldn't find a way to change the default encoding permanently. It is a pity that SynPad doesn't detect URLs and that it has been abandoned. It is a bit heavier than AkelPad on my system. Once (Thu, Dec 20, 2012) I contacted the developer suggesting some enhancements but I never got a response.

webfork

#7 Post by webfork »

Old thread update: Program appears to have been discontinued and I can't find a mirror. No data up on the SourceForge page and couldn't find a download off archive.org.

Info, no mirror: https://www.fileguru.com/SynPad/info
Archive.org link: https://web.archive.org/web/20191026052 ... php?lng=en

Midas

#8 Post by Midas »

webfork wrote: No mirror...
For a moment I thought I'd kept it in my software dump but, alas, I was just confusing it with Synwrite (https://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=2375). :(

juverax

#9 Post by juverax »

I spent a couple of hours scouring the web, but SynPad is nowhere to be found!
Can a kind soul make this little jewel available to the community?
For instance it can be uploaded to https://archive.org/
v.2.0 seems to be the last known version.
Thanks