FileVoyager - file manager

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
billon

Re: FileVoyager (file manager)

#31 Post by billon »

Updated to 16.3.6

FileVoyager

#32 Post by FileVoyager »

Hello everybody!
Just released today a new version.
A small surprise for you. Wanna know more? http://www.filevoyager.com/2016/03/file ... -released/
Enjoy!

Midas

#33 Post by Midas »

FileVoyager wrote:A small surprise for you. Wanna know more?
  • "Possibility to switch between the Ribbon UI and the Classic UI". Wow! Great news, indeed. Thanks a lot. :mrgreen:

smaragdus

#34 Post by smaragdus »

@FileVoyager

Small surprise? No! This is GREAT surprise! So great that I still can't believe it! ;) Now I can use FileVoyager not only for testing but for work. I don't won't to impose my tastes upon anyone (including software developers) but now with the classic tool-bar I feel at home.

By the way I spotted that some menus are not translated, see the screen-shot below:
FileVoyager 16.3.12.0 - 002.png
Do you have plans to add integrated search and file verifier in FileVoyager?

Don't you think it would be logical to swap Tools and Navigate menus in the main tool-bar? Are there more themes available?

Many many thanks for the classic tool-bar which really looks great! I didn't knew that "FileVoyager was designed with a Classic UI".

Regards

FileVoyager

#35 Post by FileVoyager »

Midas wrote:Wow! Great news, indeed. Thanks a lot. :mrgreen:
smaragdus wrote:Small surprise? No! This is GREAT surprise! So great that I still can't believe it! ;)
Very happy you like it :D
smaragdus wrote:I spotted that some menus are not translated
This is a consequence of a bad package I've deployed a couple of releases ago where I had put my own ini files. They are not present when you use FV for the first time. You can simply delete them and put any other that you want.
Just know that I will probably rewrite this Favorites Bar. I would like to create groups, nested group, nested folder, etc.
smaragdus wrote:Don't you think it would be logical to swap Tools and Navigate menus in the main tool-bar?
This will not be an issue. I'll do it.
smaragdus wrote:Are there more themes available?
That's all I have, actually. But you can create your own themes (or modify existing ones) by using the SkinEditor available at silverpointdevelopment.com. The tool is very pleasant to use.

Regards

FileVoyager

#36 Post by FileVoyager »

smaragdus wrote:Do you have plans to add integrated search and file verifier in FileVoyager?
Can you elaborate a bit?
By Integrated Search, do you mean a kind of Filter-as-you-type in the lists?
And by File Verifier, do you mean a Checksum computation?

Regards

smaragdus

#37 Post by smaragdus »

@FileVoyager

About Search- I apologize- I missed that there was a "Search items" menu (CTRL+F)- it works fine but it isn't the fastest searching tool. For file search I mainly use Everything (Wikipedia article) which is not open-source but the developer provides SDK. It is lightning-fast and I wonder whether it would be possible to be integrated into FileVoyager as a search engine because it is faster than the built-in one. What do you think? CTRL+F opens Search but it cannot be exited via a hot-key- the user needs to click "Exit" button- what about the same key combination toggling Search pane On/Off? CTRL+F opens Search, when Search is already open CTRL+F closes it.

Yes, by File Verifier I meant a built-in hash calculator which could get the most popular hashing checksums (CRC32, MD5, SHA256, etc), perhaps placed in Tools. Of course there are many checksum programs but computing hashes from inside FileVoyager would be handy.

I had a look at the suggestions list I once compiled and I will post some my ideas.
- An option to move Tabs on top, perhaps a new sub-menu in View- Tabs- with two options- Tabs on top, Tabs at the bottom.
- Recycle Bin Icon in Main Toolbar- clicking it opens Recycle Bin, right-clicking shows two commands- "Explore Recycle Bin" & "Empty Recycle Bin".
- FVCtxtMenuX64.exe is very useful but it doesn't work right in my opinion- Right-clicking on blank space inside a folder should open Windows Commands- View, Sort by, Group by, Refresh, New, etc.
- Clicking on blank space inside a folder should deselect the last selected item (file, folder).
- Now there is "Put icon in System Tray when minimized" option which is useful but I suggest a tiny enhancement- separate "Minimize to Tray" and "Close to Tray" check-boxes so that the user would be able to minimize FileVoyager to task-bar and close it to system tray.
- Mount Disk Image Files (at least ISO files)- perhaps in Tools- Mount Image File/Dismount Image File.
- Now Favorites in Favorites Bar are sorted alphabetically which is fine but sometimes alphabetical sorting is not the most convenient one, for example I would prefer "Desktop" to be either first or last in row. So I suggest manual sorting of Favorites in Favorites Manager (via Drag&Drop, via Buttons- Up/Down, via short-keys- ALT+Up Arrow Key/ALT+Down Arrow Key). By Buttons I mean Up/Down buttons in Favorites Manager.
- I would also suggest re-arranging of icons in the Programs Bar via drag&drop. I also suggest a new sub-menu in View->Toolbars->Show or hide the Programs Bar (I don't know how it is called in FileVoyager)- there is "Close" button in it but I don't know how I can restore it if I close it.
- Drag&Drop without confirmation- like in Windows Explorer- when a file or folder is dragged and dropped to a new location in the same drive it is moved, when a file or folder is dragged and dropped to a new location in a different drive it is copied.
- A built-in shredder (perhaps in Tools- Shredder) with customizable shredding algorithms and number of passes (not essential but could be useful).
- A built-in files and folders comparison and synchronization utility.
Browsing of disks, folders (real or virtual), shares, archives and FTP/FTPS in one unified way
I don't get how one connects to a FTP site- I didn't find a built-in FTP Manager. Is WebDAV supported? If not- would it be possible to add support for it?
With the Classic UI enabled FileVoyager looks absolutely great and the buttons in the Main Toolbar look cute. Their size is OK for me- but what about an option for customizing the toolbar buttons' size? This would be useful for people with eye-sight problems.
Thank you once again for re-adding the Classic UI- it is always better to have a choice. I like ribbons, but in women's hair, not in programs. ;)
Congratulations and thanks for your good job on FileVoyager, I appreciate it.
Best regards.

FileVoyager

#38 Post by FileVoyager »

There's a lot to discuss here :D
smaragdus wrote:Everything [...] It is lightning-fast and I wonder whether it would be possible to be integrated into FileVoyager as a search engine
It's powered by an indexation of the files. Since Windows Vista, files are similarly indexed by the OS by default. I've already begun analyzing the ways I could take advantage of it and it's possible indeed. I just need time.
smaragdus wrote:CTRL+F opens Search but it cannot be exited via a hot-key [...] what about the same key combination toggling Search pane On/Off?
Normally, the ESCAPE key closes the Search frame, but I'm not opposed to add CTRL+F as an alternative shortcut.
smaragdus wrote:there are many checksum programs but computing hashes from inside FileVoyager would be handy.
It's planned. All the analyze is done. Again, just a matter of time.
smaragdus wrote:An option to move Tabs on top
Piece of cake. Recorded in my todo's list.
smaragdus wrote:Recycle Bin Icon in Main Toolbar- clicking it opens Recycle Bin, right-clicking shows two commands- "Explore Recycle Bin" & "Empty Recycle Bin"
You have a similar button with the same behaviour in the Drive Panes (Accessible by clicking the right arrow on both lists). But I suppose you would like it accessible directly, without an intermediate click?
smaragdus wrote:FVCtxtMenuX64.exe [...] doesn't work right in my opinion- Right-clicking on blank space inside a folder should open Windows Commands- View, Sort by, Group by, Refresh, New, etc.
Guess what? It was the behaviour until I was asked, in another forum, to display the menu of the folder when clicking the blank background...Maybe I'll put an option to choose which of the menus must be displayed. Recorded in my todo's list.
smaragdus wrote:Clicking on blank space inside a folder should deselect the last selected item (file, folder).
Due to internal mechanism, I always, always, need to have a focused item. I can't satisfy this request :(
smaragdus wrote:separate "Minimize to Tray" and "Close to Tray"
Absolutely feasible! Recorded in my todo's list.
smaragdus wrote:Mount Disk Image Files (at least ISO files)
I have absolutely no idea how to that. Honestly, I think it's far beyond my competences.
smaragdus wrote:Now Favorites in Favorites Bar are sorted alphabetically [...] I suggest manual sorting of Favorites in Favorites Manager
I'm very unhappy with my current Favorites management. I plan to rewrite it from scratch. You know the song...It's a matter of time :roll:
smaragdus wrote:I would also suggest re-arranging of icons in the Programs Bar via drag&drop.
Planned...song...=>...time...
smaragdus wrote:I also suggest a new sub-menu in View->Toolbars->Show or hide the Programs Bar (I don't know how it is called in FileVoyager)- there is "Close" button in it but I don't know how I can restore it if I close it.
It's the Application Bar and, my bad! The option exists in the Ribbon, but I missed it in the Main menu...
smaragdus wrote:Drag&Drop without confirmation
feasible! Recorded in my todo's list.
smaragdus wrote:A built-in shredder (perhaps in Tools- Shredder) with customizable shredding algorithms and number of passes (not essential but could be useful).
- A built-in files and folders comparison and synchronization utility.
Planned...=>...time...
smaragdus wrote:I don't get how one connects to a FTP site- I didn't find a built-in FTP Manager
FTP Manager is planned. Actually, to navigate an FTP(S), just edit the address bar by clicking the icon or the background (or press ALT+D) and write your FTP address (eg: ftp://ftp.mozilla.com)
smaragdus wrote:Is WebDAV supported?
Currently no. Need to investigate. Recorded in my todo's list
smaragdus wrote:what about an option for customizing the toolbar buttons' size?
Planned. But I need time -again- to recreate the +100 icons in 32x32.

Thank very much you for your suggestions and feedback!

tactictoe

#39 Post by tactictoe »

A fantastic software, no wonder why it was featured at freewarefile.com too. I love it and use it lots these days. Thanks for sharing this program with the community.

FileVoyager

#40 Post by FileVoyager »

tactictoe wrote:A fantastic software, no wonder why it was featured at freewarefile.com too. I love it and use it lots these days. Thanks for sharing this program with the community.
Thank you :oops:
I saw that it was featured on their homepage 2 days long. I was proud :D

smaragdus

#41 Post by smaragdus »

@FileVoyager
Thank you for taking my ideas into consideration.
About "Recycle Bin Icon in Main Toolbar"- for me the recycle bin always visible and easily accessible is always a plus. In fact I use a special recycle bin software (MiniBin) but I think it would be nice if recycle bin could be accessed via a single click (or emptied from right-click menu) from an icon in the main toolbar- I will illustrate what I mean with a screen-shot of an old and abandoned file manager (CubicExplorer):
CubicExplorer 0.95.1.1494 - 2016-03-23 - 002.png
CubicExplorer 0.95.1.1494 - 2016-03-23 - 002.png (15.35 KiB) Viewed 67758 times
which has such an icon in the main toolbar. Regards.

smaragdus

Re: FileVoyager

#42 Post by smaragdus »

@FileVoyager

I tried to post a comment at your site but my comment was blocked. I got this:

It seems that your spam detector is not the smartest one since I don't see anything spammy in my unfortunate post.

FileVoyager

#43 Post by FileVoyager »

@smaragdus
It's my bad! I didn't RTFM of the Anti-Spam... It's incompatible with some plugin I use in my website.
Normally you should be able to post again.

smaragdus

Re: FileVoyager

#44 Post by smaragdus »

@FileVoyager
In fact I tried to comment at your blog post From Spain…. I managed to recover the text of my blocked comment from a clipboard manager (I usually copy what I intend to post):
I hope you had great time in Spain. Summer in Spain is all one needs, as the song goes:
"...Take me to Portugal, take me to Spain
Andalusia with fields full of grain...:
Any news related to FileVoyager? I am asking because the planned new version didn't come out in Augustus.
Regards
I don't know what might have triggered the spam guardian. Perhaps it doesn't like the Iberian Peninsula? ;)

FileVoyager

#45 Post by FileVoyager »

hahaha! Spanish Caravan.
I had a lot of impediments (personal and professional). I'm a few hours (5 or 6) away from a release. I hope I'll release something this week.
I'm fine tuning the Sync and Diff tools.
Don't loose your faith in me, if you have any ;)