EasyTranscript

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Midas

EasyTranscript

#1 Post by Midas »

[Moderator note: this topic was split from the Listen N Write thread]

----

Easy Transcript might be a souped up multi-platform alternative here. It does depend on Java (JRE7), VLC and Pandoc, but there's a portable package available for download (untested!):

webfork

Re: Easy Transcript

#2 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote:Easy Transcript
Good suggestion ... cross platform, the screenshot looks pretty sharp, and there are a lot more features than Listen N Write.

Few notes
  • License is listed as GPL on softpedia but I couldn't find the source on the home page.
  • Requirements: Site says that VLC is recommended but not required. Wondering if it would work with a non-installed VLC. I didn't see anything about pandoc.
I like that they give out presentations and flyers on the website. It clearly came from running a demo but it's a cool idea I wish other devs would emulate.

Softpedia:
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Office-too ... ript.shtml

webfork

EasyTranscript

#3 Post by webfork »

I finally got to test this out. The features look good with audio speed controls, equalizer, keyboard shortcuts, even a time tracker to show how long a transcription process is taking.

Status: Portable (following the steps below) but not stealth (writes \Users\username\.oracle_jre_usage)

Path portability: moving the folder breaks the "Recent Transcripts" feature.

Extract:
  1. Download and extract ZIP file
  2. Download and extract jPortable and move the CommonFiles directory and it's contents to the same folder you put the EasyTranscript folder. (For example.: g:\portable\EasyTranscript with g:\portable\CommonFiles)
  3. Create a text file and paste the text below:

Code: Select all

@echo off
    @start "" "%~dp0\..\CommonFiles\Java\bin\javaw.exe" -jar "%~dp0easytranscript.jar" -p "%~dp0.easytranscript"
  4. Save to the EasyTranscript folder as starteasytranscript.bat
  5. Launch starteasytranscript.bat
(Drawn from the muCommander bat file: http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2033)

Testing Notes:
  • Initial hang: In testing, the program hung at startup so I did an End Task on javaw.exe and then it started fine.
  • Integration with VLC: I was not able to get it to work with VLC Portable. You can probably use VLC.EXE inside \App\vlc but that's probably not portable.

Even without the program supports probably the most common formats including wma, mp3, ogg, m4a, wav, and mp4, as well as lesser-used formats aiff, avi, mov, 3gp, ogm, mkv, wmv, m2ts, mts.

TP109

Re: EasyTranscript

#4 Post by TP109 »

Although I prefer non-Java apps, this one has good features and it's actually useful. The time-stamp feature is great. After placing a time-stamp the document, and you can pickup where you left off in the media file by clicking the time-stamp. Webfork's installation/extraction instructions worked with no problem.

webfork

Re: EasyTranscript

#5 Post by webfork »

This program is still in development, even if just minor maintenance changes according to Softpedia: https://www.softpedia.com/progChangelog ... 46761.html

See also: Listn N Write: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16638&hilit=listen+n+write