jaBuT - a flexible back-up and sync program

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
jabuTBackup

Re: jaBuT - a flexible back-up and sync program

#121 Post by jabuTBackup »

Update time! Version 12 update 60 has been released.

Changelog:
  1. Added option to only allow a profile run when source and/or destination volume label/s is/are as saved in the profile options
  2. Time needed for calculating files and sizes when clicking on a profile in "List with details" reduced
  3. Starting copying process should be a bit faster now
  4. Fixed error "Log containing question mark characters instead of umlauts" (thanks to Bernd. H)
  5. Fixed overlapping texts in message dialogue when closing profile properties (thanks to ozzyguy)
  6. Fixed an error which caused cancelling a profile run has no reaction for a while (thanks to Bernd. H)

The new update can be downloaded, as usual, from the website or through the updater.

Download : http://jabut.de/en/download#download
Changelog: http://jabut.de/en/changelog#v1260

If you find a bug do not hesitate to contact me :)

Zimmy

#122 Post by Zimmy »

Hello,

I have just discovered jaBuT and it looks like an excellent program. Thanks for all your work and for making it free.

I have a few bugs to report and a request related to accessibility.

1. In the "Create or edit profile" dialog, the "Cancel" button is not working after you leave the "Start" tab.

2. In the "Create or edit profile" dialog, the volume label is not being saved on the "Dest. directory" tab.

3. Again in the "Create or edit profile" dialog, using the buttons to include/exclude files and directories on the "Select data" tab does not work. Although typing filters in manually does seem to work as expected.

Finally, I am visually impaired so I rely primarily on the keyboard and screen reading software for navigation. Fortunately, jaBuT is already quite screen reader accessible since it uses fairly standard Windows controls and I hope this will not change in future versions. However, I have noticed that in the "Create or edit profile" and "Options" dialogs, it is not possible to navigate between tabs using only the keyboard. While it is still possible to switch tabs using my screen reader's mouse navigation functionality, this is much less convenient than using the keyboard and makes jaBuT less usable/accessible for blind users. Especially less advanced blind users. To clarify and give an example, in the "jaBuT Backup introduction" dialog, there is a tab control and it is possible to switch tabs using only the keyboard. I.E. When the tab control has focus, you can use Left/Right Arrow, Ctrl+Tab, and Ctrl+Shift+Tab to switch pages. This is typical behavior with standard tab controls, but as I said it does not work in the "Create or edit profile" and "Options" dialogs. Hopefully my explanation makes sense and you can resolve the issue in a near future release.

Thanks and regards,
Zimmy

jabuTBackup

#123 Post by jabuTBackup »

Hi Zimmy and thank you for your feedback!

Everything has been fixed except #1 and #3 because I can not reproduce this issues with my current build.
The next update with (I hope all) this issues fixed and many many more things will come at the end of april!

Stay tuned. A nice update is coming =)

Zimmy

#124 Post by Zimmy »

Thanks Michael,

A couple of other things:

1. Would it be possible to add volume label identification to the "Move deleted files to the following directory" field on the "Other options" tab like on the "Source directory" and "Dest. directory" tabs?

2. Do you have any plans to add Volume Shadow support for copying files which are locked/in use? I see in the change log that you added support for IFileOperation. Does this work as well as VSS for this purpose?

Thanks and regards,
Zimmy

jabuTBackup

#125 Post by jabuTBackup »

Hi Zimmy,

#1: sure. I will add this option tomorrow. Will be in the update coming end of april too.

#2: unfortunately until now there is no stable and really working implementation of VSS for the language I am using. But yes, it's planned in future.
I added IFileOperation in the past because the overhead when using IFileOperation is way lower than with SHFileOpStruct. Also it's a bit faster and more modern.
Furthermore IFileOperation is able to copy some blocked/locked files where SHFileOpStruct just fails.

Zimmy

#126 Post by Zimmy »

1. Thanks again.

2. This is good to know.

Also, I believe I have found another minor bug. In the "Source directory", "Dest. directory", and "Other options" tabs, if the folder name begins with a ".", it is not correctly saved. You can add such a folder, but when you later return to the profile's properties after saving it, the "." is missing.

Regards,
Zimmy

jabuTBackup

#127 Post by jabuTBackup »

Hi Zimmy,

thank you for reporting me this issue. I just tested it and it deleted the dots out of my path. For testing purposes I used a very well known game with the path

Code: Select all

C:\Users\Dev\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft
After hitting the Next-button already he changed it to

Code: Select all

C:\Users\Dev\AppData\Roaming\minecraft
This issue has been fixed too a few minutes ago. Thank you very much for letting me know =)

As said yesterday I added it:
jB-Other-options-page.png

Zimmy

#128 Post by Zimmy »

Looking forward to the update.

As for bug #3 in my original post, it may be worth clarifying that after using the "..." buttons to open the selection dialog on the "Select data" tab, I am using the keyboard to check/enable items. I.E. The Spacebar. I don't know if this might be making a difference, but I figured most people would be using the mouse here so it was worth pointing out.

Regards,
Zimmy

jabuTBackup

#129 Post by jabuTBackup »

I am using the keyboard to check/enable items
Nice information, thank you. Just got it not-working and now I know where to look for this problem =)

Edit: implemented and working. Checking/unchecking now works with Enter and Space. Navigating with arrow keys.

jabuTBackup

#130 Post by jabuTBackup »

Update time!

A new big, feature rich update has been released. I hope I got enough sleep the last time to not implement fancy new bugs :oops:

Important information first:
before using the new version 13 of jaBuT Backup with old settings correctly, it's necessary to update the profiles.dat file. This can be done by using the converter jBConverter_60_61 which is included in the new update.

Changelog
  1. Added a new page to the profile options window containing some new interesting options
  2. Added option to switch between "Ignore/respect case sensiti vity" when using feature "Start profile only when volume name is ..."
  3. Added parameter "-previewonly" to show only the profile preview when using a command prompt
  4. Added option "do not use this option" to the removable media auto run feature in adavanced profile settings
  5. Added file "jBConverter_12_13.exe" to convert profile-settings from version 12 to 13
  6. Added ability to navigate with up/down arrow keys through the options dialogue and create/edit profile dialogue (thanks to Zimmy)
  7. Added ability to set a minimum number of changes to the interval mode "When files change"
  8. Added option to move backuped files only when the backup volume label is as saved in the profile options
  9. Added ability to save via keyboard checked and unchecked items from select data-dialogue (Thanks to Zimmy)
  10. Added a simple english help (jaBuT Helpe.exe)
  11. Refactored a lot of old methods to make them more flexible and modern
  12. Improved the general behaviour when cancelling a profile run
  13. Details dialogue is now displayed earlier
  14. When starting a profile via bat file the profile group isn't changed anymore to main group
  15. Updated a few icons
  16. Changing profile settings from "Advanced" to "Express" will not reset all advanced options to default anymore
  17. Automatically running profiles have been improved a lot in general
  18. Automatically running profiles will be paused now when the machne switches to hibernate or power saving mode
  19. Improved the general behaviour when pausing and resuming automatically running profiles
  20. Reduced the overhead and workload when a profile is processing slightly
  21. When starting the program the user defined list column sizes are loaded
  22. Introduction isn't shown anymore when a profile is currently preparing or running
  23. Increased default main window size from 910px/600to 1000px/650px
  24. Increased log window size from 1000px/600 to 1000px/650px
  25. Increased profile preview window size from 1000px/600 to 1000px/650px
  26. Improved the updater a little bit
  27. Profiles running mode "When data changes" can be paused now
  28. Updated OpenSSL to version 1.0.2.11
  29. Modified GUI of "Create a batch file" dialogue a bit
  30. Fixed not starting a profile when connecting a usb drive and "automatic backup to external drive" function enabled
  31. Fixed not starting profiles when starting via shortcut (bat file) and profile capitalisation is different than the real profile name
  32. Fixed an error which caused copying files even when source and destination timestamps were equal
  33. Fixed some minor GUI issues
  34. Fixed a serious error which caused not starting a profile at the users defined time
  35. Fixed some minor issues appearing when using non-standardised time or date formats
  36. Fixed an error which caused not executing a profile when not present in selected group
  37. Fixed a few errors concerning the profile preview dialogue
  38. Fixed an error which caused not stopping a profile when using "When data changes" mode
  39. Fixed not saving destination volume name after editing a profile (thanks to Zimmy)
  40. Fixed an error which caused not saving a path containing a dot as a beginning directory name (thanks to Zimmy)
  41. Fixed an error preventing loading profile options correctly when using context menu > Profile Properties
The new update can be downloaded, as usual, from the website or through the updater.

Download : http://jabut.de/en/download#download
Changelog: http://jabut.de/en/changelog#v1361

If you find a bug do not hesitate to contact me :)

smaragdus

Re: jaBuT 13.0.61.10349

#131 Post by smaragdus »

@jabut-backup
Thanks for the new version and for the notification, jaBuT database entry updated.

Zimmy

#132 Post by Zimmy »

Thanks for the update. This is a great improvement. Just a couple of comments and observations.

1. Adding filters using the "..." buttons and the keyboard now seems to mostly work. Although it does not work for me the first time I add a filter. I have to open the dialog a second time to add a filter the first time, but after that it allows you to add additional filters as expected.

2. At some point, I think the way versioning works should either be changed or an option should be added to modify it's behavior so that the path structure of files being moved is recreated in the selected folder, instead of just creating numbered folders as it does now. Moved files could then be renamed based on the time/date they were deleted.

jabuTBackup

#133 Post by jabuTBackup »

Hi and thank you all for your feedback.
1. Adding filters using the "..." buttons and the keyboard now seems to mostly work. Although it does not work for me the first time I add a filter. I have to open the dialog a second time to add a filter the first time, but after that it allows you to add additional filters as expected.
Sounds quite strange a bit. I tried to reproduce this but I can't get this issue working.

What I did:
I open jaBuT, on the current selected profile I press F2, with the keyboard I navigate to "Select Data", "Process only selected...", then to "..." and I press Enter.
The filter window appears. I select some directories and files, I press the OK button with my keyboard and the filter are applied into the text box.

Which operating system are you using?
Does the file exceptions.log exist in directory \jabuT (where the profiles are) and if so, are there any new entries when this problem occured?
Last edited by jabuTBackup on Tue May 09, 2017 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zimmy

#134 Post by Zimmy »

Yes. Definitely a strange bug. Basically, I select one of the "..." buttons, use the Spacebar to check one item, and then select the "OK" button to close the dialog. The first time the item is not added. I have to repeat the above steps. Subsequent items are added as expected though.

I am running Windows 7 64 bit and no exceptions log is created.

juglens

#135 Post by juglens »

Hello,
I just downloaded the most recent version (v13.0.62) and when I try to start it it displays the following window:

I've checked the hash, tried different Windows and both portable and installed version. No success.