jaBuT - a flexible back-up and sync program

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Midas

Re: jaBuT - a flexible back-up and sync program

#196 Post by Midas »

Glad to hear you're feeling better, jabuTBackup. 8)

Hugo

#197 Post by Hugo »

jabuTBackup wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:54 am
@Hugo
yes, there is =)
1) set up your profile normally
2) go to your profile settings
3) > "Other Options" (only available when using "Custom setup" on "Start" tab
4) > "Show advanced archive options"
5) select "ZIP" and on the same page at the bottom type in your desired "Volume size" in Kilobyte

Having a 5 KB file and typing in "1" will split the zip file in 1 KB parts. An additional bat file will be created too, to be able to restore the source file.
Very soon I will improve this input field a bit. I don't want users need to type in horrendous long numbers in kilobytes.

Thanks a lot for the info. That's exactly what I was looking for :D I just tried it out and it works like a charm. Really great and useful option...
Although I expected it to create the parts "on the fly". Instead the tool creates a normal zip file which is then split into parts at the end. Anyway, your method is also working fine!

Keep up the great work and I hope you get well soon...

jabuTBackup

#198 Post by jabuTBackup »

Unfortunately the library I am using is not capable of creating parts on-the-fly. But it's the most performant library I can implement.
The next update will have some GUI changes so it's easier to choose the correct split size.

The two updates after that will be purely refactoring updates which will make it easier for me to implement new features.

jabuTBackup

#199 Post by jabuTBackup »

Test build time!

I just uploaded a test build. You can download and test it if you want. Test builds can freeze, crash and do other sketchy stuff.
For everyone who wants to help me find bugs while using it "normally", you can download it visiting the page below (always use TEST files and no real data!)

This test build has already a big changelog, many improvements, some new stuff and many fixes.
I always try to eliminate all serious bugs.

Download : http://jabut.de/en/download#download (see 3rd entry called "TEST-BUILD-2018-07")

(
if you need a dummy test file generator, you can use my FileFillerExtended tool
Download: https://jabut.de/en/stuff#filefillerextended
)

jabuTBackup

#200 Post by jabuTBackup »

Hello everyone,

I'm sorry for not writing anything before today. I was refactoring a lot of old code to have a nice clean base for new features.
One of the biggest features are completely refactored now.

I will provide a test build for that in the next few days. I would really appreceate to see people testing it and letting me know, if there are some bugs I am not aware of.
If you are interested to know more about the refactor you can read more here on reddit: jaBuT Backup Status Report September 2018

Site note: refactoring was absolutely needed otherwise I could not implement new features or other special changes users asked me in emails.
Another refactor which will come after I've released that update will come. This one will be GUI related.

jabuTBackup

#201 Post by jabuTBackup »

Test build time!

After a few months of hard work which needed to be done I've released a new test build. I would appreceate ANY help to discover bugs.

What changed in that build?
- windows are getting created dynamically now and only when needed
So when a window is not opening or closing correctly, please let me know which one and what you did before.

- program settings are now being saved only when closing the program
Before that refactor I loaded program settings when needed into the program. Same behaviour when saving.
Now all program settings are being loaded all at once when starting the program and they are also being saved all at once when closing the program.
If an option you've set is not being recognised properly, please let me know which one.

Note: profile list columns sizes are not being loaded and saved at the moment. This will come later when the other refactor is being done.

Download : http://jabut.de/en/download#download (see 4rd entry called "TEST-BUILD-2018-10")

(
if you need a dummy test file generator, you can use my FileFillerExtended tool
Download: https://jabut.de/en/stuff#filefillerextended
)

jabuTBackup

#202 Post by jabuTBackup »

Hello everyone!

I just released a new version of jaBuT Backup. It's 2018.11 Build 22981. Also there is a new website. It's a bit empty for the moment but blog posts and screenshots are coming soon.

The new update can be downloaded, as usual, from the website or through the updater. If the updater isn't working as expected please let me know. I made some fundamental changes but I always tried to provide backwards compatibility to older versions.

I am sorry for letting you wait so long time. But there was a lot of work to to. This is a 90% refactor build. Some features are new though.

Download : https://jabut.de/en/download/#download
Changelog: https://jabut.de/en/changelog/#v20181122981

If you find a bug do not hesitate to contact me :)
PS: the next few days I am not able to compile new builds and bug fixes.

Old post:
a new stable version will be released tomorrow. Everything has been set up successfully. Refactoring is done for the moment.
Also there is a new jaBuT Backup website which will be activated for the public along with the new stable update.
Updates through jaBuT Backup have been disabled until then.

Thanks for reading and a big thank you for waiting! I will edit this post tomorrow too.

jabuTBackup

#203 Post by jabuTBackup »

Hello everyone!

I just released a new version of jaBuT Backup. It's 2019.02 Build 23171. 64 bit support has been added completely now.
Next goal: replacing the profile list component with a more modern one. This change will bring a lot of other benefits in terms of development and extensibility in the future.

The new update can be downloaded, as usual, from the website or through the updater. If the updater isn't working as expected please let me know. I made some fundamental changes but I always tried to provide backwards compatibility to older versions.

Changelog: https://jabut.de/en/changelog/#v20190223171

NOTE:
if you want to use the 64 bit version in the future, just use the internal updater once. Then head over to the program settings >> Update >> change the update channel to 64 bit and update the program once again.

INFORMATION 2019-02-10 07-10 PM:
I've spotted a very bad error which will not let you update to the newest version correctly.
I am fixing this right now and pushing the update online right after that.

Step-by-step instructions: (a bunch of text but don't worry, it's not difficult)
Recommended way:
Just re-download the package of your choice (32 bit or 64 bit, portable or setup) here and extract it over your existing package (portable) or install it on your system (setup):
- https://jabut.de/en/download/
Advanced way, not recommended
Check for updates as usual and download them. When being asked to install and restart, don't click this button and just close and exit the program.
The following depends on where you let download your updates to (this option is set in Options >> File processing >> Temporary directory):
-- Subdirectory in jaBuT Backup directory: open the directory where jaBuT Backup is being installed
-- Windows temporary folder: open your Windows Explorer and open your Temporary Windows Folder by typing in %temp% in the adress bar followed by hitting enter
Find a directory which begins with ~jbTemp- followed by some random characters and numbers. Open it and select and cut all files except a text file called files_to_update.
Paste and overwrite them now into the directory where your jaBuT Backup is installed.

You are done and up to date. I am sorry for that bug which caused this problems but it's fixed now.

Midas

#204 Post by Midas »

Hi there. Nice to see jaBuT's development chugging along. :)

Minor cosmetic glitch: on the latest 64-bit version running in portable mode, while the rest of the UI adheres to English as the chosen language, column headers do not and remain in German (see screenshot).

Also, after resizing them for better viewing, if I then resize the program window, they get reset. No biggie, but lightly annoying.

Thanks. Keep up the great work.

jabuTBackup

#205 Post by jabuTBackup »

Hi Midas and thank you for your message.

This translation glitch has been fixed now. Seems like on the last refactor-update I've removed that line which was doing the translation but not putting it back in place.
The "auto resize" of the columns in its current state will be removed in the next (big) update when I replace the current implemented component for displaying profile with a much more modern one. Auto resize of the columns will work much better then. Also the columns sizes are not saved and loaded currently. This will also come back in the next (big) update with the new component.
I decided to remove these two buggy features instead of fixing them because it would be lost time I can use better when replacing the profile list component.

Until then I will release a new update with the translation bug fixed I think this evening (here it is 02:42 PM currently).

INFORMATION 2019-02-11 06-04 PM:

Hotfix update 2019.02.23181 of jaBuT Backup released.

Changelog: https://jabut.de/en/changelog/#v20190223181

Last edited by jabuTBackup on Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Midas

#206 Post by Midas »

Thanks. 8)

jabuTBackup

#207 Post by jabuTBackup »

Hello everyone,

I've released some minor updates. They are more cosmetic than anything else.
I've also added some kind of additional information to the log viewer so now you can see why a file has been copied / moved (sometimes very usefull in case of your system does crazy timestamp things :) ).

If there are smaller bugs, I will fix and release them as fast as possible.
Otherwise currently I am working on the next big change which will take a few months maybe.
After that "multiple source directories per profile" is planned - also for this year.

Midas

#208 Post by Midas »

Got an error while updating via jaBuT's own updater, after I allowed it to restart the program:

Funnily enough, while trying to capture the error dialog via Alt-PrtScr, I also discovered that jaBuT interferes with that system keyboard shortcut by defaulting to a full view-port capture every time. After closing, the behavior is gone.

jabuTBackup

#209 Post by jabuTBackup »

Hi Midas,

the shortcut Alt+PrtScr isn't used by jaBuT Backup. Not sure where this behaviour is coming from :(

Did the updater update the executable or did nothing happen?
This message is more an information than an error.

I will have a look at it in any case.

Edit (2:37 pm CET):
I've fixed a potentional issie which could cause displaying t he dialogue above after updating.
Release today.

Edit 2 (3:08 pm CET):
Update 2019.02.23223 now online. The issue should be fixed now.

Midas

#210 Post by Midas »

It did the update alright. It just showed that error afterwards. It did it again just now when I updated to v2019.02.23223... :|