jaBuT - a flexible back-up and sync program

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
smaragdus

jaBuT - a flexible back-up and sync program

#1 Post by smaragdus »

jaBuT - a powerful and free backup solution

jaBuT Backup, just another Backup Tool, is a powerful and easy to use backup solution which is being developed since 2011.

With jaBuT Backup you can configure your backups easy! You can create "profiles" where all the important and backup related information are saved. These profiles are completely independent of each other. Click here for more information.

Let your backups run automatically in the background and keep your data up-to-date - with jaBuT Backup!

The most important features

Custom settings for each profile
Each profile can be customized with many configuration options.

Run profiles by passing parameters
Individual profiles or profile groups can be easily started by passing parameters.
There are many other parameter available. Show parameter list.

Can be used portable
An installation is not always necessary. jaBuT Backup can run also without installation on any disk in portable mode.

Include or exclude specific data
If necessary, jaBuT Backup can process only specific data. For this add the path of a file or directory to the white list. One the other way you can exclude specific data by adding the path from a file or directory to the blacklist. If you want to exclude only a specific file type so add for example *.txt to the blacklist.

Profile groups
All profiles can be sorted into profile groups for a better usability.

File comparison
Files can be compared based on file content or the date of the last modification. This is depending on the profile setting.

Manual or scheduled execution of the profiles
Profiles can run manually or in scheduled mode. If multiple profiles are scheduled at the same time they start sequentially.

E-mail Notification
Get an email with a processing report after a profile has been executed. You can specify whether you want it always or only if errors occurred.

Many processing modes selectable
There are several processing methods: Simple Copy, Exact Copy, Move, Exact Move, Compress, Exact Compress, Synchronize. Click here for more information.
I have just tested this extremely customizable and powerful back-up and synchronization program- jaBuT (jaBuT stands for "just another Backup Tool" and it doesn't require Java as one might suppose):

http://jabut.de/en - jaBuT web-site
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Bac ... aBuT.shtml - jaBuT at Softpedia

jaBuT is truly portable (I have tested it- it writes all its data and settings inside its own folder- during installation the users should choose 'Install as a portable version' option) and it is free for non-commercial use.

I have made some screen-shots of jaBuT in action:

http://postimg.org/image/prdtavo3t/ - jaBuT main window
http://postimg.org/image/cbqslffm1/ - jaBuT profile wizard
http://postimg.org/image/d2jir7hzd/ - jaBuT synchronization mode
http://postimg.org/image/tg83o3nih/ - jaBuT synchronization preview
http://postimg.org/image/8kltcurbd/ - jaBuT portable installation

jaBuT offers 8 synchronization modes, multiple profiles, logging, scheduling, e-mail notifications, starting with Windows, minimization to system tray, auto-update and much more. It is available in English, French and German and has both x32 and x64 versions.

In short- I am still testing jaBuT and exploring its rich set of features yet I am utterly impressed and jaBuT is becoming a favourite back-up tool of mine.

I suppose that users might like jaBuT since it is really portable and teems with features.

I am Baas

Re: jaBuT - a flexible back-up and sync program

#2 Post by I am Baas »

Nice find, smaragdus.

A few quick notes:

1. Download either the x86 or the x64 installer from http://jabut.de/en/download#download and (uni)extract. The application files are in the {app} folder.

2. Upon launching jaBuT.exe, do not just dismiss the jaBuT Backup Introduction window, make sure you uncheck the "I agree the sending of anonymous user data to the developer" box under the "Conclusion" tab (this is also possible in the options menu).
2015-04-12_130737.png
3. To disable the check for update feature, go to "Edit" → "Options" → "Update" and uncheck "Activate Auto-Update function"
2015-04-12_131123.png
4. jaBuT is portable but it does leave a trace in \AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\CustomDestinations (taskbar jump list).

smaragdus

#3 Post by smaragdus »

@I am Baas
Thank you for your notes. I would like just to add that 'Anonymous user data collection' can be disabled from jaBuT options too- 'Options- Statistics of usage'
jaBuT - 006 - 2015-04-12.png
I discovered jaBuT quite some time ago but I found that jaBuT didn't appear here and decided to write about it.
I used the 'Portable Installation' mode and it worked as described, I haven't tested the extraction method you suggested.
I would like to mention that I contacted the developer of jaBuT in the past and he was open to suggestions.

jabuTBackup

#4 Post by jabuTBackup »

Hello and thanks for all your interests in my software product!
I just continued developping jaBuT Backup after a very long compulsory break.

I already fixed some bugs. Also, the checkbox "I agree the sending of anonymous user data to the developer (see options)" is now unchecked by default.
I don't know by which horse I was ridden in the past to let this checked by default. But - everything is fine now.

The new update 9.0.37 with much improvements and bug fixes is planed to be released this week (I hope not later than next sunday).
Last edited by jabuTBackup on Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

I am Baas

#5 Post by I am Baas »

jabut-backup wrote:Hello and thanks for all your interests in my software
Welcome to the forum :D
jabut-backup wrote:The new update 9.0.37 with much improvements and bug fixes is planed to be released this week (I hope not later than next sunday).
Great news, thanks.

smaragdus

#6 Post by smaragdus »

@jabut-backup
Welcome to the forum. I am glad that jaBuT hasn't been abandoned.

jabuTBackup

#7 Post by jabuTBackup »

Hi Smaragdus =)
No I'll never abandone this software. I promised myself (in my head) in 2011 to continue developping it until it's perfect.

jabuTBackup

#8 Post by jabuTBackup »

Hello again!
I just want to let you know that the next update will be delayed a little bit. I think about 4 to 7 days.

The reason is: my ToDo list initially had only 3 entries. While fixing this 3 entries, I added, improved, changed and fixed also other things.
So my ToDo list now already has 31 things done and 14 other outstanding entries.

I hope you can be patient cause it will be worth it =)

smaragdus

#9 Post by smaragdus »

@jabut-backup

Don't worry, we are patient here. By the way- is your to do list public?

I think that Processing modes page at your site should be updated because it doesn't contain information about Mirror Copy mode.

I think that you might change Mirror Copy to Mirror copy to match Mode style (in other modes only the first word is capitalized), screen-shot below:
jaBuT 9.0.36 Build 2962 - 2016-04-03 - 003.png
I think there is a untranslated string in the English language file (Ein Profil erstellen oder bearbeiten), please see the screen-shot below:
jaBuT 9.0.36 Build 2962 - 2016-04-03 - 002.png
I have a question related to Exact copy and Mirror copy:
- If a file appears both in source and destination but the one in destination is newer than the one in source the file in destination won't be overwritten by the file in source- is that Exact copy?
- If a file appears both in source and destination but the one in destination is newer than the one in source the source file will overwrite the destination file- is that Mirror copy?

Regards

jabuTBackup

#10 Post by jabuTBackup »

Hello smaragdus!
The ToDo-List isn't public but I think I'll make it public very soon.
I think that you might change Mirror Copy to Mirror copy to match Mode style (in other modes only the first word is capitalized), screen-shot below:
Just did it =)
I think there is a untranslated string in the English language file (Ein Profil erstellen oder bearbeiten), please see the screen-shot below:
Wow. This was a line I commented out in 2014 and until now I haven't seen it is. Thanks to you =)

Exact copy and Mirror copy:
it's exactly how you expained it.

Exact copy: the newer files in source directory will always overwrite the older files in destination directory.
Mirror copy: all destination files will be overwritten by all source files. There is no comparison in any way.

A little further: this two copy modes copy all files to the destination directory. They also delete files from the destination directory which doesn't exist in the source directory.
The only difference between the two copy modes is: Exact copy checks file dates (by default, see screenshot) and Mirror copy just overwrites everything even if the destination file
jaBut Backup - Create or edit a profile.png
Furthermore I removed, as said above, the already checked checkbox from the introduction.
When closing the introduction, now absolutely nothing is being applied exept you are on the last page, something is checked and you click on the "Close" button.
jaBuT-Backup - Introduction.png

jabuTBackup

#11 Post by jabuTBackup »

Hey! Just a little information from me.
The ToDo list now already has 52 things done and some important outstanding entries.

I never thought there is so much to do after such a long pause. But please be patient. The end product will be very good =)

smaragdus

Re: jaBuT

#12 Post by smaragdus »

@jabut-backup

I am patient but I am also curious about the development of jaBuT- are there any fresh news? I suppose that those users who are seeking for possible clean and portable alternatives to FreeFileSync might be interested in jaBuT. You may know that FreeFileSync has always been adware but in recent versions the adware cannot be avoided any more.

I have a question- do you plan to add support for Shadow Copy for copying of files that are in use in the time of job execution?

Regards

jabuTBackup

#13 Post by jabuTBackup »

Hey! Sorry for the late answer.

AdWare is absolutely not a good thing. jaBuT will never contain kind of adware. I also made some changes for new users. Some checkboxes are now unchecked by default (sending user data, show introduction etc.).

Yes, I want to add support for Shadow Copy. But it's kind of difficult quiet now. But I'll try my best =)

Current state:
- 68 things added, improved, changed or fixed.

jabuTBackup

#14 Post by jabuTBackup »

Current state:
- 75 things added, improved, changed or fixed.

Latest changement:
I added a counter to all message dialogues. They now close automatically after 30 seconds to prevent problems while using jaBut Backup unattended but without silent mode by accident.
An option to disable this counter is planned for tomorrow.
Attachments
d.png
n.jpg

smaragdus

Re: jaBuT

#15 Post by smaragdus »

@jabut-backup
Please notify us when the new version is ready. As a celebration for this new version I will add jaBuT to the database. Happy programming.