Keepass - OSS password manager

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
AlephX

Keepass - OSS password manager

#1 Post by AlephX »

Despite it is already portable, you can be interested in the portable package by Portableapps.com:

http://portableapps.com/news/2007-03-20 ... portable_1

Niblits

KeePass v1.10 virus warning

#2 Post by Niblits »

Avast AntiVirus sends out alarm on saving the .exe file of v1.10:
"Win32: Trogan-gen
virus worm
080113-0, 01/13/2008"

I've been using KeePass for several versions now with no problems.

Anybody have any ideas on this? The zipped portable version is clear. :?: [/img]

Midas

Re: Keepass Portable 1.06

#3 Post by Midas »

Old topic update: after being around for years and proving itself one of the more useful elements on anyone's portable toolset, KeePass (http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=194) still doesn't have an official forum topic. Well, that ends now -- and in the absence of the original submission post, this one will have to do... :)
http://keepass.info/ wrote:KeePass is a free open source password manager, which helps you to manage your passwords in a secure way. You can put all your passwords in one database, which is locked with one master key or a key file. So you only have to remember one single master password or select the key file to unlock the whole database. The databases are encrypted using the best and most secure encryption algorithms currently known (AES and Twofish).

NOTE: although it might also be portable, KeePass v2.x branch is DotNET dependent and is not currently being tracked here at TPFC.

Download latest KeePass release (currently v1.28; portable is packaged in a ZIP file) from http://sourceforge.net/projects/keepass/files/KeePass 1.x/.

Related forum topics (see also viewtopic.php?t=20612):
Last edited by Midas on Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

JohnTHaller

Re: Keepass Portable 1.06

#4 Post by JohnTHaller »

As TPFC now lists .NET apps (if I recall correctly), might I suggest you track it as KeePass Professional. That's what the publisher calls it. We're adding it to PA.c as a separate app as well for users who want it.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

Midas

Re: Keepass Portable

#5 Post by Midas »

For whom it may concern, here's the script I use to auto-backup (locally and to Dropbox) KeePass' database after each run:

Code: Select all

@ECHO OFF
:: This script must be placed in the same dir as KeePass.exe
:: and invoked on KeePass' exit. Additionally, sub-dirs named
:: 'backups' and 'xtra' must be present, with '7za.exe',
:: 'scp.exe', 'vssserv.dll', and 'vssxp.dll' inside 'xtra'.
:: '7za.exe' is the command line version of 7Zip
:: http://www.7zip.org/
:: Other files are part of Runtime's ShadowCopy
:: http://www.runtime.org/shadow-copy.htm

setlocal

:: Set today's date string
SET present=%date:-=%

:: Check for existence of today's backup
PUSHD backups
FOR %%f IN (%present%*) DO SET todayfile=%%f
POPD

:: Compute partial filename string
SET now=%time:~0,8%
SET now=%now::=%
IF "%now:~0,1%" == " " SET "now=0%now:~1,7%"

:: If today's local backup exists, skip to file copy
IF NOT "%todayfile%" == "" GOTO update

:: Execute today's backup and log all output
xtra\7za.exe a -y .\backups\%present%%now%.7z *.kdb 2>&1> backups\%present%%now%.log

:update
:: Copy database file to Dropbox and log output
START /MIN xtra\scp.exe "%~dp0*.kdb" "DRIVE:\PATH\TO\Dropbox" /y /r && ECHO. >> backups\%present%%now%.log ^
& ECHO + Dropbox updated! >> backups\%present%%now%.log
With portable KeePass and this I get one daily local backup in a 7z compressed archive named with the date+time string, plus the latest database version is always on Dropbox...

BottleOfWater

KeePass 1.29

#6 Post by BottleOfWater »

KeePass Classic has been updated to version 1.29. Changes include:

New Features:
•The font used in password text boxes can now be changed ('Tools' -> 'Options' -> tab 'Interface' -> button 'Select Password Font').
•{FIREFOX} placeholder: if no regular Firefox is installed, KeePass now looks for Firefox ESR.
•In the field reference dialog, the field in which the reference will be inserted is now selected as source field by default.
•Increased notes size limit to about 2 GB.
•The path of the local configuration file can now be changed using the 'KP1_CFG_LOCAL' environment variable.
•All KeePass program binaries are now digitally signed (thanks to Certum/Unizeto).

Improvements:
•Removed 'O' and 'C' access keys from 'OK' and 'Cancel' buttons (instead, press Enter for 'OK' and Esc for 'Cancel').
•Upgraded to Boost libraries version 1.57.0.
•Various code optimizations.
•Minor other improvements.

Bugfixes:
•AltGr+E (i.e. Ctrl+Alt+E) does not focus the quick search box anymore.

http://keepass.info/news/n150403_1.29.html

Midas

Re: KeePass 1.29

#7 Post by Midas »

@webfork: for the sake of consistency, this should probably be merged to viewtopic.php?t=1498 ...

I am Baas

#8 Post by I am Baas »

Midas wrote:@webfork: for the sake of consistency, this should probably be merged to http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... php?t=1498 ...
Let me know if that does not work, lol.

Midas

#9 Post by Midas »

I am Baas wrote:Let me know if that does not work, lol.

Now, we wouldn't want to put that kind of pressure on our beloved moderator, would we? :mrgreen:

webfork

#10 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote:
I am Baas wrote:Let me know if that does not work, lol.
  • Now, we wouldn't want to put that kind of pressure on our beloved moderator, would we? :mrgreen:
This does bring up a sort of sneaking feeling that the "Update" subforum is losing it's purpose since more updates are being listed in Submission, but sure.

Edit: just collected all the other Keepass updates into a single thread (still under Updates).

Midas

Re: KeeWeb

#11 Post by Midas »

Related note: as Ghacks.net reported, "KeeWeb tries to address this issue by providing KeePass users with options to create a self-hosted version of KeePass on the Internet" -- from www.ghacks.net /2016/02/25/keeweb-self-hosted-keepass-web-and-desktop-client/.

webfork

#12 Post by webfork »

Update here: I have been very reluctant to get into this program but I can't deny that this program is gaining real legitimacy. It may be too small a sample group but multiple security-aware, tech-savvy people I know have been switching over to KeePass both at home and at work. This appears to be a growing standard for password security ahead of LastPass and other tools.

shnbwmn

#13 Post by shnbwmn »

webfork wrote:This appears to be a growing standard for password security ahead of LastPass and other tools.
As a lay computer user, I still prefer LastPass purely for its convenience. KeePass is useful for keeping those kinds of passwords that you don't use everyday, but are important and know you'll need to find at some point. Otherwise, it's too much of a hassle and "flow-breaker" to have to open KeePass everytime to log into a site.

webfork

#14 Post by webfork »

Recent discussion in the Keepass program comments is addressing the dotNET-based KeePass version. New user Orca added a database entry:

Keepass DotNET
https://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2829

There was a forum post on the topic but Orca evidently changed his/her mind and deleted it.

Unfortunately this wasn't discussed in forums first because the site has a policy of only one program per entry, with the a notable exception of Opera Presto and Opera Blink. That was a pretty unique situation.

Anyway, I'm not really sure how to proceed on this one so suggestions welcome.

joby_toss

#15 Post by joby_toss »

Different apps - different entries. The fact that they share the name and author is just a coincidence... :)