BlackBird - windows privacy tweaker

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
webfork

BlackBird - windows privacy tweaker

#1 Post by webfork »

NOTE: No updates since late 2020. Even though it's not declared as "discontinued," there have been several updates to Windows that may undo Blackbird's changes. As such, it's probably wise to look into other options.

---

Another Windows privacy tool, this one claiming performance, privacy, and portability

Caveats
  • It wants to go. After you run the program, pressing ANY button starts the process so I recommend backing your computer up before running.
  • License: a little odd: http://www.getblackbird.net/documentation/license/ ... it seems to be closed source but seems to encourage reverse engineering?
  • Ownership: who is actually behind this program is a little unclear.
Screenshot
  • The program looks like a command-line tool but really it just uses a simple interface:

Sites
Portable?
  • Unknown. By nature of the program modifies a lot of registry entries, making this is a hard program to test for leaving traces behind.

webfork

Re: BlackBird - windows privacy tweaker

#2 Post by webfork »

Ghacks has an article on the program, giving some details on how to control output for an unusually straightforward program.

http://www.ghacks.net/2016/12/27/blackb ... rity-tool/

bitcoin

#3 Post by bitcoin »

its too bad because it sounds like the author has done a lot of work investigating the telemetry and spying methods but the user is stuck with a lousy command line looking GUI and is just supposed to trust whatever the program does.

Midas

#4 Post by Midas »

Blackbird latest release is v1.0.7 (changelog: https://www.getblackbird.net/documentation/changelog/).

Don't want Windows spying on your every move? Don't feel like spending hours messing with privacy settings that ultimately still result in data collection? Think your private information belongs to you and no one else? Or maybe you just want a faster PC and don't like all the new "features" Windows has to offer.

The homepage claims portability, which I have not tested.
Portable, Restorable, Flexible: No installation, with a focus on leaving the smallest possible footprint, Blackbird is a single, portable exe with granular switches available. Want to restore everything back? We got you covered.

Licensed under a BGB(? Be a Good Bird!) License: https://www.getblackbird.net/documentation/license/. :)

webfork

#5 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:26 am The homepage claims portability, which I have not tested.
Yeah I'm still on Win7 so I haven't had a chance to test this.
Midas wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:26 am Licensed under a BGB(? Be a Good Bird!) License: https://www.getblackbird.net/documentation/license/. :)
I like what they're trying to do here, but definitely prefer standard licenses. As far as I can tell, it's closed-source freeware.

Blackbird_dev

#6 Post by Blackbird_dev »

webfork wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:20 am
Midas wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:26 am The homepage claims portability, which I have not tested.
Yeah I'm still on Win7 so I haven't had a chance to test this.
Midas wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:26 am Licensed under a BGB(? Be a Good Bird!) License: https://www.getblackbird.net/documentation/license/. :)
I like what they're trying to do here, but definitely prefer standard licenses. As far as I can tell, it's closed-source freeware.
Hey guys, just wanted to drop by real quick.
Blackbird runs on Windows 7/8 just fine, even works on Vista.
About the license thing, you're probably right, but I just find all that legal shit boring as hell and I don't understand half of it anyway. Figured I'd just write something easily understood by everyone.
Btw, it's not that closed-source, really. It's just a fancy shell-script packed inside an executable. I just don't feel like doing github crap.
Hint: Start the exe and dig through your user temp folder.

Not much of a forum-guy so I'm not gonna be regular or anything, just wanted to clear some things up. If you have any questions though I'd be happy to answer them .

webfork

#7 Post by webfork »

Welcome to the site ...
Blackbird_dev wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:03 pm About the license thing, you're probably right, but I just find all that legal shit boring as hell and I don't understand half of it anyway. Figured I'd just write something easily understood by everyone.
Btw, it's not that closed-source, really. It's just a fancy shell-script packed inside an executable. I just don't feel like doing github crap.
I sympathize and definitely don't want to take all the joy out of development but if you'd like to go the open source route (not necessarily full github), we can make some suggestions.

juverax

#8 Post by juverax »

It is not obvious to figure out what exactly Blackbird does.
Since it is available on Softpedia, I am inclined to believe that Blackbird is safe, and I have used it without causing problems to my system as of this writing.
VirusTotal malware detection ratio is 27-60ish ... normal IMO given the nature of the application.
In VirusTotal you can click on the tabs behavior and details to have an idea (just an idea) of what BlackBird does.
It would be useful if Blackbird would leave a log file in its folder detailing all the changes to the system.
Also I do not see how to disable automatic updates using Blackbird.

Midas

#9 Post by Midas »

juverax wrote: It would be useful if Blackbird would leave a log file in its folder detailing all the changes to the system.
I agree 100%. :idea: