Text Compare

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
TP109

Re: Text Compare

#16 Post by TP109 »

SYSTEM wrote:
TP109 wrote:I submitted a bug report to the developer about the Windows Presentation Foundation Font Cache 4.0.0.0 process.
I think it isn't a bug. As a .NET program, Text Compare likely uses Windows Presentation Foundation. Is makes sense that Windows Presentation Foundation Font Cache starts when a WPF program is launched.
You are correct. I received a reply from the developer who stated:
The behavior is the way WPF is designed by Microsoft. Please can you look at the below link from MSDN. (bottom of the page)

<Link: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb613584.aspx> https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb613584.aspx

Please let me know if you have further question.

Kind regards,

Configure Font Cache Service to Reduce Start-up Time

The WPF Font Cache service shares font data between WPF applications. The first WPF application you run starts this service if the service is not already running. If you are using Windows Vista, you can set the "Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) Font Cache 3.0.0.0" service from "Manual" (the default) to "Automatic (Delayed Start)" to reduce the initial start-up time of WPF applications.

smaragdus

#17 Post by smaragdus »

A new version of Text Compare- 1.0.2.2. Now it uses an INI file to save its settings.

New features:
Command line support
Synchronized scrolling
Remember Window state

__philippe

#18 Post by __philippe »

__philippe wrote:Third naysayer vote.
I'd rather stick with good ole faithful TextDiff
from NaySayer to YeaSayer:

TextCompare 1.0.2.2 released 27-MAY-2015

With the addition of recent features
- command line support
- ini file to save settings
- window state retained in settings
- synchronized scrolling

and further considering TP109's above clarification about "Widows Presentation Foundation Cache" process,
and after testing afresh TC most recent version

I'm back in TextCompare "YeaSayer" camp... ;-)
(TC small 106KB footprint vs TextDiff 860KB is also a welcome bonus...)

__philippe

Checker

#19 Post by Checker »

@ smaragdus: Thanks ... and updated :wink:

webfork

#20 Post by webfork »

[Moderator note: posts about PingHurry (a program by the same author) were given their own thread.]

smaragdus

#21 Post by smaragdus »

Text Compare got a favourable review at Softpedia- it was awarded a rating of 4.0/5 by Alexandra Sava. Usually these reviews are shallow so I don't pay great attention to them.

olliebean

#22 Post by olliebean »

No longer available from the original website. Their blog dated August 26, 2017 says:
The below listed tools are no longer available as download on this website.

AD BulkCreator
TextCompare
ComboBox ApplicationLauncher

As of today, all information about these 3 tools is also no longer available on this website.
It's still available from Softpedia, though: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Office-too ... pare.shtml

webfork

#23 Post by webfork »

olliebean wrote:No longer available from the original website.
I wonder why they dropped association.

Thanks for pointing that out, olliebean. I updated the entry and messaged the author (edit: billon already took care of the edit).

webfork

#24 Post by webfork »

webfork wrote:messaged the author
He got back to me:
The tools combobox application launcher/textcompare are a sort of testapplications, and I think better quality alternatives are available for free.
Because of that I will not upload it to github. In the case of combobox application launcher I have some future idea's but I have to plan this to work on it.

The tool pinghurry is still available and will be updated when I have time for new features.