Hddb (Hard Disk Database) File Search

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Userfriendly

Hddb (Hard Disk Database) File Search

#1 Post by Userfriendly »

[Moderator note: this is the primary HDDB program thread. View database entry]

---

Hddb (Hard Disk Database) File Search, is an alternative to Everything. It's relatively lite on features and it even looks like Everything. Version 1.0.5 adds portable x64/x86 executables for download.
Hddb is a salute to Everything

Everything is the leading tool in instant file search domain, I had been wondering how can it be so fast.

Hddb was built in imitation of Everything. The initial motivation was to explore whether I can achive the same speed in file search. In the end, the goal is almost reached. File search speed is competitive, although database build speed is a little slower.
Everything has some problems

Although Everything is such a great tool, I use it relatively sparingly, because I don't like the UAC prompt when it starts and it's unpredictable database updating on startup. It's a pain to wait for the seconds when you just want to find something quickly and don't mind the database to be not up-to-date enough.
Hddb fixes the problems

Hddb doesn't require admin permission when doing file search, so no UAC prompt is required on startup. UAC prompt is required only when building the database. You can even install a build service. When installed, no UAC prompt would be needed at all.

Hddb's database must be built manually. It will not auto scan file changes on startup. This is a feature, not a limitation, I hope you think so too.
Hddb has some enhancements

Hddb can sort by size or time fast. And Hddb has an option to show folder sizes.
Homepage: http://hddb.xp-zed.com/
Download portable here: http://hddb.xp-zed.com/download.html
Release Notes: http://hddb.xp-zed.com/release_notes.html
Softpedia: http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Fil ... Hddb.shtml

Tested portable version and its saves settings in app folder.
Last edited by Userfriendly on Fri May 16, 2014 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

webfork

Hddb

#2 Post by webfork »

Edit: Userfriendly and I were on the same wavelength on this ... editing my original entry to avoid repetition.

---

Primary benefits over Everything (summarizing the Ghacks article):
  • does not display an UAC prompt on startup (I actually didn't get this with Everything, but that might have been my setup)
  • Shows folder sizes (can turn this on in the Tools - Options menu)
  • Faster sorting (this is THE killer feature of the program)
  • Command line support
... and Softpedia reports export to text files.

Ghacks claims there's no portable version, but it's posted to the about page: http://hddb.xp-zed.com/about.html (available as of v1.0.5 on 2014-04-19)

NickR

Re: Hddb (Hard Disk Database) File Search

#3 Post by NickR »

New version
V1.0.6 out 2014-04-20

Bug fix version
Fixed Issues
Fixed a critical bug that can cause database build failure.
Improved installer to overwrite Hddb_Srv without error prompt.
Fixed a small bug in keyword parsing

nickodemos

#4 Post by nickodemos »

Nice. I need network support as well.

need support for USB drives.

Would like to be able to put it on USB drive and it only sees this drive so that no letter needed for launching items.

webfork

#5 Post by webfork »

nickodemos wrote:need support for USB drives.
I tested this today: it's already there, but only works with NTFS-formatted drives. Would need a separate tool to work with FAT and other volumes.
nickodemos wrote:Nice. I need network support as well.
Don't think the Master File Table this program and those like it can be read over the network, but I might be wrong about that.
nickodemos wrote:Would like to be able to put it on USB drive and it only sees this drive so that no letter needed for launching items.
Supposedly you can launch it with the batch listed in the help file:

Code: Select all

hddb find . *.txt 
Although I couldn't get this particular one to work.

twinbee

#6 Post by twinbee »

Glad to hear there's a rival to Everything. Part of what made me switch to Locate32 was the dreadful sorting times In Everything. Glad to find Hddb *doesn't* see bubble sort as a serious algorithm for practical real-world usage.

Unfortunately, Hddb crashes when it tried to build the database. When I reboot and try again, it says "successful", but nothing is in the database. Any ideas?

webfork

#7 Post by webfork »

I've been using this a great deal over the past two weeks. Some quick usage notes:
  • A static list that I can quickly organize and reorganize is really fantastic. The Everything search program's constant re-scanning for the latest and greatest just doesn't get used as often as I thought it would, and I don't seem to mind rebuilding the database if it does.
  • REALLY like the "Named Searches" feature. Also, the ability to edit the config as part of that menu and add things is a great intro to some of the power features of the program.
  • The "Folder Tree" option is great (basically giving a look at the folders on your hard drive so you can start in a specific place before adding other search options).
  • Local, if limited help file (Everything requires you have a net connection)

Wishlist
  • To be clear, I already really like this program already. I've put a [!] next to the things most important to me.
Interface
  • Notification Icon - right now I have the program set to "Minimize to system tray on close" When I click on the icon in the system tray, I want it to pop up right away, but if I have an HDDB window already open, it won't react. Note that this doesn't change if you have "allow multiple instance" enabled. I don't need it to open a new instance each time, just open the existing window. [!] {Edit: fixed}
  • Whenever you open the program or pull the program up from the taskbar, the focus should go directly to the search window. (e.g. you click on it and either start typing or deleting your last search) It's a small thing but I frequently have to click on the text blank before doing a search, which seems like an unnecessary extra step.

Maybe "allow multiple instances" should mean clicking on the system tray icon should open another instance? e.g. double-click it 3 times for 3 HDDB windows? Not sure.
  • When you have Folder Tree enabled (under "tools") and you have something typed into the search window, clicking on a directory inside the Folder Tree window should narrow this down. (e.g. type *.doc and then click on C:\Users should show all DOC files in the C:\Users folder). Currently, it just starts over the search with C:\Users and you have to re-type *.doc. [!] {Edit: fixed}
  • Changing the font size (CTRL++) should change the font size of the Folder Tree window (when open) {Edit: fixed}

Drive Analysis
  • When you search a set of files (e.g. *.mp3) would like to see how much space all those files take up (e.g. 50.2 megs, 102 kbytes, etc.).
  • When you select a group of files, the amount of data should update (e.g. 10 items selected, 200 kbytes) {Edit: fixed}
  • ANY of the terrific features that the MFT-based hard drive analysis program WizTree has. {Edit: several drive statistics tools were added}
  • If you delete something using HDDB, would like to see it update that part of the database to reflect it's removal (or that it's now in the trash).

Archive / Catalog
  • Ability to save the database for later reference (change detection / for reference)
  • Maintain data from removable devices (e.g. from an external hard drive) or somehow prevent the data from a device that's no longer connected from disappearing. Once this option is enabled, there should be an available checkbox that appears in the database build option that says "clear unconnected drives?" that's unchecked by default.
  • A feature to search any non-NTFS / networked drives/folders (with a big disclaimer about how insanely slow they are) and add those to the database. When choosing to build/rebuild the database, a checkbox should be available that says "rebuild FAT devices? (VERY slow!)" This would be unchecked by default.

License
  • Something open, ideally GPL'd

When hell freezes over
  • Mac / Linux client - note that the complexity of doing something like this especially on Mac boggles the mind.

xpzed

#8 Post by xpzed »

Hi webfork,
I'm the author of Hddb, your detailed review and suggestions are helpful.
I've implemented the two feature requests you marked as [!] in version 1.3.0, which was released yesterday. Other features are under consideration.
However, a problem you mentioned in your post is not clear to me, do you mean the search box should be focused automatically when Hddb is activated? But this is an existing feature.
webfork wrote: [*] Whenever you open the program or pull the program up from the taskbar, the focus should go directly to the search window. (e.g. you click on it and either start typing or deleting your last search) It's a small thing but I frequently have to click on the text blank before doing a search, which seems like an unnecessary extra step.

Midas

#9 Post by Midas »

HDDB v1.3 released (changelog: http://hddb.xp-zed.com/release_notes.html).

I am Baas

#10 Post by I am Baas »

Tested hddb-1.4.2.x64

\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\CustomDestinations

Midas

#11 Post by Midas »

Hddb is currently v2.0.1 (changelog at http://hddb.xp-zed.com/release_notes.html).
  • Ribbon UI
    • Why, O, why?... :cry:

Userfriendly

#12 Post by Userfriendly »

Don't be sad, you can turn ribbons off and go back to the old menu bar. Some people like ribbons and some don't. We still have the option to choose either one. That's a good thing. Besides, ribbon makes it slightly more usable for touch interface I guess.

webfork

#13 Post by webfork »

Userfriendly wrote:Some people like ribbons and some don't. We still have the option to choose either one. That's a good thing. Besides, ribbon makes it slightly more usable for touch interface I guess.
True, but the main issue for me is that this is counter-intuitive for a program whose stated objective was a faster tweak on an already fast existing program. The ribbon window just feels bulky and intrusive on a lightweight search program.

Anyway, to disable: Options - General - Ribbon UI. Requires restart.

On a related note, the changelog mentions it uses less memory, but it's taking up about 37 megs of RAM, which is about 16 more than Everything. Interface is very snappy.

Edit: version 2.0.2 is showing up as something suspicious, but this is clearly a false positive (care of VirusTotal).

copc

Fast file search

#14 Post by copc »