[Macrorit Partition Expert Free] Portable Disk Partition

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
copc

[Macrorit Partition Expert Free] Portable Disk Partition

#1 Post by copc »

Once a while You need it, just free for personal home use.

http://macrorit.com/partition-magic-man ... ition.html

tproli

Re: Portable Disk Partition Expert

#2 Post by tproli »

Looks handy though I haven't had the chance to try it in action, thanks.

Adds three files to "%TEMP%\MDE-P" (.api, .exe, .log) and also "C:\Windows\suite.vssMgr.exe", I guess these are required for the application to work properly. Because of this it is not entirely portable but it is a common issue with partitioning applications.

Midas

#3 Post by Midas »

copc wrote:Once a while You need it, just free for personal home use.
http://macrorit.com/partition-magic-man ... ition.html

Wow! Nice find, free and natively portable (although not stealth; well, you can't have it all... ;)).

So, for those who like this kind of thing, here's the missing screenie...

guinness

#4 Post by guinness »

Interesting, though I would like to know why the developer insists on using C:\Windows.

Midas

#5 Post by Midas »

tproli wrote:Adds three files to "%TEMP%\MDE-P" (.api, .exe, .log) and also "C:\Windows\suite.vssMgr.exe", I guess these are required for the application to work properly. Because of this it is not entirely portable but it is a common issue with partitioning applications.

By checking paths and comparing files with MDPE install version, I concluded that the portable is mainly a wrapper that when run extracts needed files to '%TEMP%\MDE-P' for execution -- IMHO, a reasonable measure in case a restart is needed after some partition alteration, and not really a serious portability impairment...

'suite.vssMgr.exe' (which I reckon is a Volume Snapshot Service utility) is another story -- I'm guessing it's the reason MDPE needs admin rights (apart from the need for hardware HDD access) and placing it in %WINDIR% might make that simpler...

Midas

Re: Macrorit Partition Expert Free

#6 Post by Midas »

Topic update: Macrorit Partition Expert Free Edition v5.3.9 released 2019-02-23 (changelog at macrorit.com/partition-software-upgrade-history.html).

MPE claims native portability; while it doesn't require installation, it isn't entirely stealth either (see posts above).

Macrorit Partition Expert Free Edition is a powerful free partition program which allows you to extend, create and format partition, fix low disk space problem, manage disk space easily on MBR and GPT (GUID partition table) disk. This totally free disk management utility is designed for home users which supports 32/64 bit Windows Operating System including Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7/8 and latest Windows 10.

NOTE: the homepage warns MPE doesn't support Apple BOOTCAMP partitions nor dynamic disks. The free version also doesn't include the bootable WinPE ISO ('PartExpert_WinPE.iso') and the sidebar "Create Bootable Media" link under "Tools" will simply redirect online to buy a Pro version.

Also mentioned by xor at viewtopic.php?p=87261#p87261.