ShareX - screenshot, screen recorder, uploader, etc.

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
webfork

Re: ShareX

#46 Post by webfork »

Before GIF was default now FFmpeg is default and fixed duration is disabled. Also added default hotkey for screen recording which gonna be "shift + printscreen"
Excellent. Looks great.
and this can makes things complicated just for support this.
Makes sense.
I understand can be good to have it in menu but main window menu already very complicated with many buttons so trying to not add everything there.
Agreed. Sounds good.

Jaex

#47 Post by Jaex »

Jaex wrote:
fullbug wrote:I'm on a Windows XP, and while installing ShareX I get this message-

When I click ignore a few times the program finishes installing, but nothing works without receiving an 'error' message in the status box, and oddly enough I get the error messages even when I try the portable version, anyone know what may be the problem? Thanx....
Are you have these installed?

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable 32 bit / 64 bit
I added auto .NET Framework and C++ 2010 redist downloader to ShareX installer now so it will install required files automatically. In next release.

Jaex

#48 Post by Jaex »

How can i update ShareX page when new version release? Because it takes long time for ShareX page to update every release.
I was be able to update that page before but now i can't.

SYSTEM

#49 Post by SYSTEM »

Jaex wrote:How can i update ShareX page when new version release? Because it takes long time for ShareX page to update every release.
You can't update it because you have rank 0 in this website. At least rank 1 is required to be able to edit entries (with one exception, see below). See here for more information on the rank system: http://www.portablefreeware.com/faq.php#voting. When you want the entry to be updated, you need to ask us.
Jaex wrote:I was be able to update that page before but now i can't.
Regardless of the rank, whoever added an entry can edit it as long as no one else has edited it. That's why you were able to edit it for a while.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

webfork

#50 Post by webfork »

SYSTEM wrote:Regardless of the rank, whoever added an entry can edit it as long as no one else has edited it. That's why you were able to edit it for a while.
... the idea there being that we want anyone to be able to create and modify an entry, but once an established user works on it, it because something that only established users have access to. I know that seems a little strange, but it's primarily a trick to avoid spam. Usually the process is:

1. Create an entry
2. Lobby for a program to get votes
3. Program goes live

I think ShareX was already popular, so you were able to edit your own entry even after it went live.

Anyway, I'm happy to talk about whatever changes you need or, given enough posts here, your status will go up and you'll be able to edit again.

webfork

#51 Post by webfork »

So this is pretty cool ... over the latest version of a commercial screen capture program (Camtasia), ShareX lets you have more control over the frames per second (with some software testing I was working on, I noticed that 8 is ideal).

http://i.imgur.com/KFAG9HL.jpg vs. http://i.imgur.com/Ua1AfVn.png

On a sidenote, I also used ShareX to upload these pictures, which somehow I'd never done before. It was remarkably easy and cool.

webfork

#52 Post by webfork »

I think 9.3 broke hotkey window: http://i.imgur.com/4zhRWvY.png

Good:

* A standard AND animated GIF recorder are now included in the capture menu (awesome)

Bad:

* The program now AUTOMATICALLY uploads your screenshot to an available image hosting service. This is perfect at home but this can be a concern if you are using the program up at work and generation screenshots of info that might be sensitive.

romulous

#53 Post by romulous »

@webfork: Looks ok here. I updated from 9.2.1:
http://i.imgur.com/PE2rwne.png

Jaex

#54 Post by Jaex »

webfork wrote:I think 9.3 broke hotkey window: http://i.imgur.com/4zhRWvY.png

Good:

* A standard AND animated GIF recorder are now included in the capture menu (awesome)

Bad:

* The program now AUTOMATICALLY uploads your screenshot to an available image hosting service. This is perfect at home but this can be a concern if you are using the program up at work and generation screenshots of info that might be sensitive.
I don't remember anything changed in hotkey system in 9.3, I'm not sure how your hotkey settings got broken because if it was happened to other people they would have opened issue report for such important bug.

I don't understand what you mean automatically. If this setting is not checked:

it won't upload automatically. Also if you are using ShareX first time and doing your first screen capture then ShareX warning you about are you want upload to be enabled or not, so even in first use it is not possible to upload by mistake.

Edit: Now I opened ShareX with default settings and noticed hotkey descriptions showing "None" so it is bug which I fixed already. And about failing registering hotkey that can means another software already registered that hotkey and Windows function which allows registering hotkey not allows registering same hotkey more than one times. Example Dropbox registering Printscreen hotkey etc. and if you opened ShareX first then Dropbox can't register it too.

webfork

#55 Post by webfork »

Jaex wrote:I don't understand what you mean automatically. If this setting is not checked {image} it won't upload automatically
Right: I was letting people know that was a concern since the previous version I was using didn't auto-upload. I figured this out while at work, where it could have been a violation of IT policy. I'll add something to the entry about this.
Jaex wrote:Now I opened ShareX with default settings and noticed hotkey descriptions showing "None" so it is bug which I fixed already.
Verified. It's fixed on v.9.3.1 on my Win7x86 machine.
Last edited by webfork on Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: (fixing text: was v9.2.1)

webfork

#56 Post by webfork »

Update here: the reason I couldn't uncheck or remove the canvas / text watermark function was because my screen was too small and I couldn't see the OK button. Jaex figured this out and explained it on his IRC channel.

---

As of 9.4.0, ShareX added an advert image to the bottom of every image you capture. You can also just download the previous version of the program if you don't wan to deal with this: https://github.com/ShareX/ShareX/releases (scroll down to 9.3.1). It overlaps slightly atop the existing image: http://i.imgur.com/Yb3auTw.png

I use screen caps a lot up at work and I can't send people with stuff that has ANYTHING but the most absolutely necessary information, so I tried to turn off this functionality by following what was in the release notes by doing the following:
  • 1. Click Task Settings and choose the Image tab
    2. Click the Effects tab and select "Image effects configuration"
    3. Uncheck boxes next to "canvas" and "text watermark" (close window)
    4. Re-open and clicked "remove" both of these items (close window)
So far none of that worked. Not sure how to get rid of this apart from cropping the image and cutting off the bottom part of the window to cut the overlap.

Fortunately it doesn't add that to images you upload or videos so the current plan is just to go back to my old system with Greenshot and use ShareX for uploading or screen recordings.

---

On a positive note, disable auto-upload is no longer necessary. You instead get a prompt, which is great.

romulous

#57 Post by romulous »

Hm, it is pretty disappointing (and a little shady) that they snuck this in without drawing attention to it. I read the release notes when I updated my install, and I did not see that entry - based on your post, I went back and read them again and I see the entry now, but it still does not say that they have added an ad, it just says the effects are enabled by default. Not that it would have mattered had they actually said that anyway - as most users would not read the release notes, and would not be aware of it.

I too am in a position where I can't have anything such as advertisements overlaid onto captured images, so I will be re-evaluating my screen capturing as well - may just end up using ShareX as the uploader, though MyImgur may be a better alternative as that is my preferred image host. If you go into After Capture Tasks and remove the tick from beside Add Image Effects, does it disable it?

joby_toss

#58 Post by joby_toss »

If I uncheck "After capture tasks -> Add image effects" I get no watermark.
I can also edit the watermark (so I can add my own advertisement :twisted: ).
I see no problem here.

Jaex

#59 Post by Jaex »

First of all it is not "Advertisement", it is watermark which you can disable or edit. Text watermark very hidden inside "Image effects" therefore I made it enabled by default so people can be aware that ShareX have ability to watermark, otherwise very high percentage of people won't be aware of this features. And for default text of it writing our web site made sense, what am I supposed to write for default text there my own nick?! Not to mention I not hide disabling watermark setting to inside setting windows, instead it is in main window and in very obvious place where things append to image, "After capture tasks" menu. I even mentioned about it in change log in case people won't know how to edit it. If I wanted to have advertisement why would I mention it in change log about how to edit it and you telling people won't look to change log, I know that but where am I supposed to put it elsewhere? I even wrote how to disable it in IRC channel title in case people will come there to ask it... So many times people offered to have advertisement in ShareX which could have earned me money but still I preferred to have clean software and not accepted them. So I'm working for 7 years without earn anything other than donations (which rarely happens) and it pissing me off you calling my software shady. Because my only intention in this software is helping people, this is why I'm wasting my time on it.

webfork

#60 Post by webfork »

First, I noticed you pulled out the watermark/banner/whatever from the latest download. [edit: my bad, it's still there] Just a suggestion that you could prompt users at first-run to say "hey would you mind supporting my program by donating, adding a banner to your images, or liking me on facebook?" ... something with buttons corresponding to each option. You might get more attention/donations.
Jaex wrote:So many times people offered to have advertisement in ShareX which could have earned me money but still I preferred to have clean software and not accepted them. So I'm working for 7 years without earn anything other than donations
Please remember we're your friends here, I'm just trying to figure out what's going on. We know you've given a lot with this and it's a fantastic freeware and OSS program. I'm was just trying to figure out a new change in a rapidly evolving program. I posted it here just in case I was asking a stupid question, which it was (thanks both to you and Joby for workaround and then a fix).

I realize you haven't been getting many donations but we've been trying to show our appreciation through a bunch of free promotions work. Frequent updates of the database, detailed edits to the extract instructions to make sure visitors don't get confused, even an animated slideshow (which has since been overwritten as it was out of date). We also did some work against the folks counterfeiting your work and we'll do it again if necessary. Just keep in mind we're volunteers; nobody's getting paid here.
Jaex wrote:... pissing me off you calling my software shady. Because my only intention in this software is helping people, this is why I'm wasting my time on it.
I think romulous is suspicious just because we've been through this a whole lot of programs that started out freeware and then went adware, bundleware, nagware, etc. We do a lot of work for these programs and often get disappointed when things go commercial, usually because of donation frustration. Feel free to read back through conversations with devs atomizer or patpat for a first-hand account of this. Then we generally have to host an old version of the program, which usually angers the developer and everyone walks away unhappy.