ShareX - screenshot, screen recorder, uploader, etc.

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
joby_toss

Re: ShareX

#31 Post by joby_toss »

I'm using Sandboxie 3.74 x64. My ShareX portable works fine with it, too. Let's blame it! :D

Haven't asked you what setting it doesn't remember. I tried changing the hotkeys and had no problems.

I am Baas

#32 Post by I am Baas »

I changed the actions after capture, but it loads the default settings nevertheless.

I am Baas

#33 Post by I am Baas »

Fixed. Path to settings was incorrect. Should be more careful when manually updating / overwriting the application files. Thanks joby_toss for your help.

joby_toss

#34 Post by joby_toss »

'Had me worried there for a second! :)

Jaex

#35 Post by Jaex »

Is it failing to save settings everytime or only one time failed?
More than one year my settings never reset so i'm not sure why yours failed.
Also when save settings fail, ShareX will try to load last successful save (bak file) if can't load settings file.
But your bak file is not exist too look like.

Edit: Aww i didn't saw second page. Nevermind this message :D

Jaex

#36 Post by Jaex »

In GitHub i can upload more than one file per release therefore i can upload separate portable file now.

https://github.com/ShareX/ShareX/releases/tag/v8.5.0 in here you can find portable zip file.

Also now not need to create/edit PersonalPath.cfg file and it is inside application settings window:

So cfg still exist but it is editable from settings window.

SYSTEM

#37 Post by SYSTEM »

Jaex wrote: In GitHub i can upload more than one file per release therefore i can upload separate portable file now.

https://github.com/ShareX/ShareX/releases/tag/v8.5.0 in here you can find portable zip file.
Thank you. :) I have updated the entry. Sorry for the delay.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

webfork

#38 Post by webfork »

webfork wrote:You already have some unique features to set your software apart
Jaex (or his team, I dunno) just went to the next level here: today they added audio and video screen capture. This in addition to a timed screencapture feature pretty much makes this the go-to screen capture/recording tool. However, as the default program uses a limited GIF recording by default that current users are familiar with, there are a few steps I recommend to enable the extras.

Enable Screen Recording in ShareX

NOTE: this sequence requires an Internet connection:
  1. Click "Task settings..." > "Capture" tab > "Screen Recorder" tab for settings and uncheck "Fixed duration"
  2. Select "Output" and choose FFmpeg. The program should prompt you to auto-download the necessary extra files.
  3. Click "Options" and choose from an available Audio source. My Lenovo had the default system microphone visisble.
  4. In this same window, I recommend reducing the Bitrate for AAC to 96k or 64k unless you have a high quality microphone.
  5. Click "hotkey settings" and set something for "Screen Recording" (I used CTRL+SHIFT+V)
  6. Lastly, do a test recording using the hotkey you just setup and press the same key combination again to end the recording.
To be clear, this is an open source, free, and high quality video recording program without a lot of codec nonsense. My limited testing here has been very positive. VERY excited to have this after mixed experiences with CamStudio.

Related notes:
  • Available Settings are extremely diverse, even capturing video from the webcam, multiple audio and video codecs, and a wide variety of quality options.
  • Compatibility: I had some issues importing this into my video editor (Camtasia) but I think these should be managable.

webfork

#39 Post by webfork »

Been using this a lot recently and came up with a few things:

Wishlist
  • Audio + video recording functions closer to the main interface. As this program has a ton of features, it can't be just another button on the main window, but somehow fewer steps to enable. Maybe under Tools?
Minor:
  • Under image effects change "Clear" to "Clear All" Think that's less confusing.
  • History window should start according to monitor size. Even on my 1600 x 900 monitor, I had to resize it to fit
  • Add video thumbnails to image history button
  • Few of the tabs in Destination Settings config window. Specificually the default window (Imgur) as well as URL Shorteners > bitly tab. Stuff not fitting inside their boxes. Can post a screenshot if needed
  • Anytime you click "Remove" on an account, I'd suggest requiring a confirmation window (i.e. "Are you sure?" Yes/No)
  • Standard "Cancel" and "OK" buttons to confirm or dump settings modifications.
  • Hotkey and/or command line launch (e.g. sharex.exe -color) for screen color picker tool.
Major:
  • Batch edit for image effects. There are probably several ways to impliment this, but I was thinking just the standard image edit tools with an ability to save the modification settings. Then just 'apply image edition settings to images..."
Question:
  • SFTP is listed under the FTP but all the security protocol options are listing SSL/TLS options. Is SFTP enabled?
  • Couldn't figure out and I think the message that explains how this works in the lower right is cutting off. Currently says: "Press Ctrl when this window a to stop screen color picker".
  • Is there an "open in ..." functionality (e.g. open in Outlook, open in Paint.NET, etc?)

Jaex

#40 Post by Jaex »

Audio + video recording functions closer to the main interface. As this program has a ton of features, it can't be just another button on the main window, but somehow fewer steps to enable. Maybe under Tools?
What you mean functions? I think you meant settings because screen recording already in capture menu which is same steps as putting it to Tools menu.
It must be in "Task settings" otherwise each hotkey can't have its own screen recording settings. Currently you can have different screen recording settings per hotkey because of "Task settings" system.
Under image effects change "Clear" to "Clear All" Think that's less confusing.
Near "Clear" button you can see there is "Remove" button so that makes understanding what "Clear" doing more easy. Because if it was only clearing one item then what is point of having "Remove" button there.
History window should start according to monitor size. Even on my 1600 x 900 monitor, I had to resize it to fit
History window saves its position and size to settings therefore when you resize it only one time, it will remember that size always therefore i can't resize it automatically according to monitor.
Add video thumbnails to image history button
I can't do this. Mainly because using separate library for show file explorer like view and this library not supports it.
Few of the tabs in Destination Settings config window. Specificually the default window (Imgur) as well as URL Shorteners > bitly tab. Stuff not fitting inside their boxes. Can post a screenshot if needed
What you mean it not fitting inside their boxes? https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/140 ... JEY5Q0.png
Anytime you click "Remove" on an account, I'd suggest requiring a confirmation window (i.e. "Are you sure?" Yes/No)
Personally i don't like confirmation windows because if i'm clicking something then i really want that action to happen otherwise why would i click it.
Having confirmation window will slow me down and be annoying.
Of course if it is dangerous action like deleting file then i would ask for confirmation.
Standard "Cancel" and "OK" buttons to confirm or dump settings modifications.
This would be good but from start it must be designed this way and now it will be too much work to do it that way.
Hotkey and/or command line launch (e.g. sharex.exe -color) for screen color picker tool.
You can already set hotkey for screen color picker tool: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/140 ... IBWxda.png
Batch edit for image effects. There are probably several ways to impliment this, but I was thinking just the standard image edit tools with an ability to save the modification settings. Then just 'apply image edition settings to images..."
I'm not sure where to put UI of this because there isn't any space left in image effects window. Also it should not be visible when doing normal after capture image effects.
SFTP is listed under the FTP but all the security protocol options are listing SSL/TLS options. Is SFTP enabled?
Those SSL/TLS options under FTPS category so if you selected SFTP protocol from top then FTPS category will be ignored. So ShareX supports SFTP.
Couldn't figure out and I think the message that explains how this works in the lower right is cutting off. Currently says: "Press Ctrl when this window a to stop screen color picker".
What you mean it is cutting off? https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/140 ... vMszxn.png
You can press CTRL to stop automatic color changing according where cursor is so you can copy color value.
Is there an "open in ..." functionality (e.g. open in Outlook, open in Paint.NET, etc?)
Screen captures can automatically open in configured software like this:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/140 ... CUH46f.png
Also "After capture: Perform actions".
If this is what you mean?

Let me know if you have any other questions :)

webfork

#41 Post by webfork »

Moderator note: I merged the two ShareX threads here on the site. It might be more confusing in the short term but ideally less confusing in the long run.

webfork

#42 Post by webfork »

Jaex wrote:
Audio + video recording functions closer to the main interface.
What you mean functions?
Yeah, sorry that wasn't clear. Here's my background on this:
  1. I think the ability to do audio+video recordings is HUGE (as you can see by the previous entry that I merged into this thread). I've been trying to find a freeware program that does this reliably forever. As such, I think that needs to be more accessible but I really can't say where it belongs.
  2. The default GIF recording setting is great because I know that's useful to a lot of people and has received a lot of interest here on the site. Choosing one type of recording over another therefore is a hard question.
  3. Based on this, my best suggestion is that, when someone selects "Capture -> Screen Recording" for the first time, it should prompt them with the settings box to see if they want to use GIF or standard MP4 audio+video.
Jaex wrote:Because if it was only clearing one item then what is point of having "Remove" button there.
Right, it's just a clarification. It made sense to me but I think "Clear All" makes more sense. It's far from critical.
Jaex wrote:What you mean it not fitting inside their boxes?
The issue is no longer appearing. I should have taken a screencap and submitted a proper bug. Just ignore.
Jaex wrote:
Hotkey and/or command line launch (e.g. sharex.exe -color) for screen color picker tool.
You can already set hotkey for screen color picker tool
True, but the idea here would be to launch it as a separate program. For example, a user who only needs the color picker and none of the other features.
Jaex wrote:
... cutting off
What you mean it is cutting off?
Same as above. No longer appearing.
Jaex wrote:
Is there an "open in ..." functionality?
Screen captures can automatically open in configured software ... also "After capture: Perform actions". If this is what you mean?
Mainly I'm referencing something Greenshot just integrated: after capturing something, send it to Outlook, Word, Paint.NET or other programs. These appear in the menu system automatically if they're present and it's just a checkbox to enable. It's basically cutting down on the steps to get a screencap where you want it to go, but your program structure is more than adequate as-is.
Jaex wrote:Let me know if you have any other questions :)
Thanks for the quick response here. ShareX is really coming along and I appreciate you taking the time to reply to a bunch of questions/requests on our site.
Last edited by webfork on Sat May 24, 2014 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: (some formatting work and better wording)

Jaex

#43 Post by Jaex »

Based on this, my best suggestion is that, when someone selects "Capture -> Screen Recording" for the first time, it should prompt them with the settings box to see if they want to use GIF or standard MP4 audio+video.
Now default configuration for screen recording tab will be like this:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/140 ... YHaNDe.png
Before GIF was default now FFmpeg is default and fixed duration is disabled.
Also added default hotkey for screen recording which gonna be "shift + printscreen" so peoples don't need to configure anything to start recording right after install.
True, but the idea here would be to launch it as a separate program. For example, a user who only needs the color picker and none of the other features.
I don't think peoples will install ShareX just for use screen color picker. Also when you open it with cli, need to disable setting loading, form loading, hotkeys etc. and this can makes things complicated just for support this.
These appear in the menu system automatically if they're present and it's just a checkbox to enable. It's basically cutting down on the steps to get a screencap where you want it to go, but your program structure is more than adequate as-is.
ShareX detects Paint, Paint.NET, Photoshop, IrfanView, XnView, OptiPNG automatically too but not accessible from menu. But atleast you can make separate hotkey for each application so you can have one hotkey for open crop with paint.net and other hotkey for open crop with photoshop etc. so giving more flexibility. And also when you save and close in this apps then it can continue workflow and upload that edited image. I understand can be good to have it in menu but main window menu already very complicated with many buttons so trying to not add everything there.

fullbug

#44 Post by fullbug »

I'm on a Windows XP, and while installing ShareX I get this message-

When I click ignore a few times the program finishes installing, but nothing works without receiving an 'error' message in the status box, and oddly enough I get the error messages even when I try the portable version, anyone know what may be the problem? Thanx....

Jaex

#45 Post by Jaex »

fullbug wrote:I'm on a Windows XP, and while installing ShareX I get this message-

When I click ignore a few times the program finishes installing, but nothing works without receiving an 'error' message in the status box, and oddly enough I get the error messages even when I try the portable version, anyone know what may be the problem? Thanx....
Are you have these installed?

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable 32 bit / 64 bit