TiddlyWiki as a super note-book or documentary database

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
teobromina

TiddlyWiki as a super note-book or documentary database

#1 Post by teobromina »

Though I am in hollidays I do not forget TPFC.

From the site of TiddlyWiki: http://www.tiddlywiki.com/
TiddlyWiki is a complete wiki in a single HTML file. It contains the entire text of the wiki, and all the JavaScript, CSS and HTML goodness to be able to display it, and let you edit it or search it. Without needing a server.

TiddlyWiki is published under an OpenSourceLincense and maintained by a busy Community of independent developers.

Out of the box, TiddlyWiki offers:

* Browsable with the vast majority of modern desktop browsers on Windows, Macintosh and Linux
* Ability to SaveChanges on:
o FireFox and Opera under all operating systems
o InternetExplorer under Windows
o Safari and Camino under OS X
o Minimo on Nokia 770
* Rich formatting including MonospacedText, ExtendedFormatting, NonWikiWordLinks, WikiWordEscape, PrettyLinks, SubHeadings, BulletPoints, NumberedBulletPoints, Tables, BlockQuotes, HorizontalRules and the ability to use a CustomCssClass.
* Various InterfaceOptions, including the ability to GenerateAnRssFeed, SaveBackups and AutoSave
* KeyboardShortcuts so you can finish editing a tiddler with Control-Enter or abandon it with Escape
* InlineHTML
* ...EmbeddedImages:
* Macros providing rich interactive features, including Sparklines and Gradients
* a flexible OpenSourceLicense
* a liquid CSS layout that can be customised with a CustomStyleSheet
* Extensive StartupParameters to control the behaviour of TiddlyWiki through specially crafted URLs
* There are translations of TiddlyWiki available in many languages, including Chinese, French, German, Spanish, Portuguese

The Community around TiddlyWiki has extended this basic functionality with a wide range of Plugins and TiddlyWikiAdaptations.
I am currently using this device as my documentary text database for my different writtings. Works fine within Firefox. Since it is self contained I think it does not write anywhere. You can generate a complete web page in a single file. In my web page there is a piece of this in the link 'TTK-news'.

Regards.

*JT.
Last edited by teobromina on Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

JohnW

#2 Post by JohnW »

I can't seem to access the site. Any ideas?

teobromina

#3 Post by teobromina »

If you are browsing with Iexplorer, use Firefox instead.

As alternative: may be you have to 'allow blocked content' clicking 'Allow..' in the yellow bar warning about a blocked content.

*JT.

JohnW

#4 Post by JohnW »

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately it didn't work.

I tried FireFox with no success.

I only use the standard SP2 firewall so I don't think I'm blocking anything.

Can you just confirm that you have no problems accessing the site

Regards

JohnW

Local

#5 Post by Local »

The site seems to be fine, I've been on it and downloaded a copy.

The link to download is http://www.tiddlywiki.com/empty.html if this helps

Just right click and save as html.

I got this from the site
ServicePack2Problems
JeremyRuston, 27 March 2007 (created 22 September 2005)

* not tagging

* tags:
* instructions
* issues
* troubleshooting

Internet Explorer Windows XP SP2 seems to have a magical ability to keep track of html files that have been downloaded from the internet and saved on an NTFS drive. By storing additional data in an alternate data stream, it manages to keep them in the 'Internet' zone regardless of attempts to rename or modify the file. But, in order to be able to SaveChanges, TiddlyWiki needs to run in the 'My Computer' zone.

The solution is to right-click on the TiddlyWiki html file and choose Properties. If the file is blocked, you'll see an 'Unblock' button on the resulting property sheet that removes the protection and allows the file to open in the 'My Computer' zone. Then open the file in Internet Explorer - it might put up its information bar asking you whether you want to run it. You need to 'Allow blocked content' to let TiddlyWiki do its stuff.

If you find yourself running into the information bar frequently, you can disable it by visiting the "Options" dialog and, on the "Advanced" tab make sure that "Allow active content to run in files on My Computer" is checked.

Alternatively, you can rename the file to *.hta which has the added bonus of automatically granting all necessary save permissions.

This is all a bit frustrating. An easy alternative is to use FireFox, which seems to do the trick on all platforms.

teobromina

Firewall problems related to TiddlyWiki

#6 Post by teobromina »

Thanks, Local, for your comments.

About the firewall question introduced by JohnW, I have to add a comment: If you are using the Windows firewall then you are in fact not using a firewall but a kind of 'semiconductor', because Windows firewall is blocking undesired incoming traffic, but is giving permission, not giving to you ANY option, to ALL communications of the Windows Operative System to some external addresses (I think related to its own Microsoft home site).

I have disabled the Windows firewall and I am using an independent firewall (Sygate Personal Firewall), that unfortunately is not portable, but very efficient, and I have noticed what I say above for this reason. May be for that reason as well I do not experience any problem with applications like TiddlyWiki. 8)

So I encourage everybody to use an independent firewall system too, to avoid loss of confidentiality and to gain control on your system. If you feel unsure you can use BOTH, and in this way, you can have control over controllers...

Regards.

*JT.

JohnW

#7 Post by JohnW »

Despite all your help (for which many thanks) I still cannot access this site.
I get no messages other than 'IE cannot display the webpage.'
Or 'connection was rest' (FireFox)

I've looked at other possibilities and I'll keep trying.

jmclsoft

tiddlywiki

#8 Post by jmclsoft »

You can see it on: http://www.tiddlywiki.com/

Extract from this page,

"TiddlyWiki is a single html file containing all the characteristics of a wiki - all the content, all the functionality (including editing, saving, tagging and searching) and the style sheet. Because it's a single file, it's very portable - you can email it, put it on a web server or share it via a USB stick.

But it's not just a wiki! It has very powerful plugin capabilities, so it can also be used as a platform for building new tools. You have full control over how it looks and behaves. For example, TiddlyWiki is already being used as:

A personal notebook
A GTD ("Getting Things Done") productivity tool
A collaboration tool
For building websites (this site is a TiddlyWiki file!)
For rapid prototyping
...and much more!
"

Regards.
Jose Manuel Cala Lopez

garbanzo

#9 Post by garbanzo »

this is a interesting concept. it is very much in the spirit of web 2.0, which explains why i really don't like it. if i want to organize data, i'll make a database, because that's how i think.

i guess i'm just too old for this stuff. i simply can't adjust to web apps and wikis and all these other twitteringly strange tools...

nonetheless this is a good post, not something i would think to find here, but excellent in many ways. thanks!

ashghost

#10 Post by ashghost »

It's been mentioned a few times in the forums and submitted once before:

http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... php?t=2031

It's interesting in that it blurs the distinction between a document and an application.

There are many, many modifications and plugins out there. If you want to see how much is possible with a TiddlyWiki (and how bloated it can get), see http://www.tiddlytools.com/

jmclsoft

#11 Post by jmclsoft »

As many things, tiddiliky will be useful for somebody and not useful for others.

It is obvious this application has some problems, but if fullfil your requirements you can use it in a easy way.
  • It is portable. More portable that many applications I see in this site and in others, because it you make a tiddliky you can use it in any OS (only need a internet browser installed)
    You can use it as a todo list.
    You can use it to save your contacts. Obviusly, if you have a lot of contact you have to use a pim application.
    You can use to take notes, ...
    etc.

portackager

#12 Post by portackager »

Amusing at the least. A self modifying html file that works like a notebook. :lol:

I would suggest disabling "create backups" on first run as it can get pretty messy when you change and add new content.

teobromina

TiddlyWiki is a free reusable, non-linear personal notebook

#13 Post by teobromina »

I bring, again, this very special HTML masterpiece, TiddlyWiki.

I am using this versatile (*) software since long time ago, it is portable, it is freeware, but it is not still in our collection... :roll:

From the TiddlyWiki.org site ( http://www.tiddlywiki.org/ ): "TiddlyWiki is a single-file, self-contained wiki for managing micro-content, written in JavaScript."

From my point of view, as a portable freeware fan, it is much more: It is in fact a freeware small documentary database, that do not need any other external program to run, just a browser (Firefox is the best, but Iexplorer can do it), therefore it is cross plattform (it runs the same way in MSWindows that in GNULinux).

There are plenty of extensions to enhance its performance. For instance, visit this page: http://tiddlyvault.tiddlyspot.com/ or this one: http://www.tiddlytools.com/

Since all you need is a single HTML file, it is portable, and I think it is a good piece good to be included in our database at TPFC. :wink:

Regards.

*JT.

_____

(*) Wiktionary ( http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/versatile ) versatile: Adjective

versatile (comparative more versatile, superlative most versatile)

Positive
versatile

Comparative
more versatile

Superlative
most versatile

1. capable of doing many things competently
2. having varied uses or many functions
3. changeable or inconstant
4. (biology) capable of moving freely in all directions

joby_toss

#14 Post by joby_toss »

You posted it before, so ... ?!
http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... light=wiki

Here is another one:
http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... light=wiki

There are other posts about it in different topics...

It is nice though...

teobromina

#15 Post by teobromina »

joby_toss wrote:You posted it before, so ... ?!
It is nice though...
You are rigth in both sentences. My present thread is to draw your attention on this software (may we name it as 'program'?), because in the previous threads we did not enter to discuss the matter itself.

Is there any other user of TidddlyWiki out there?

I discovered the TiddlyWiki plugins recently, and believe me: I did not imagine their power. For instance I was a little reluctant to relay in this software earlier, because I did not see how to 'export' part of the contents of a TiddlyWiki file. But the plugin 'publish' do that for you, creating a full set of files like a standard webpage just in one click, by selecting a tag which is common to the tiddlers you want to extract...

You only need to see a page made of a TiddlyWiki like http://science.tiddlyspot.com/ to see the capability of TiddlyWiki.
8)

Regards.

*JT.