Clementine - audio player for cloud, radio, podcasts, etc.

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
webfork

Re: Clementine

#16 Post by webfork »

Nh wrote:66.40 megabytes!

And 1.15 megabytes of 1By1.
Yes, that's impressive but this space concern comes up a lot. A few thoughts on that:
  • Most cross-platform tools are going to be much larger than their single-platform peers. The advantage of cross-platform capabilities are that - no matter what machine you're using - you get the same functionality. This is a big deal for me because the users I know or work with are split roughly 50/50 Mac and PC.
  • We are not just talking about playing music files here. This program is a phenomenal Internet radio interface, as well as a lot of other things.
  • Even a fairly small 100 gig drive / 66.4 megs = takes up roughly 0.09% of your computer. I have a group of 60 average quality pictures that take up the same space.

Edit:

For the space conscious: NTFS compression cuts down 34% (from 65 to 43 megs). AppCompactor with default settings does almost nothing.

Midas

Re: Clementine

#17 Post by Midas »

webfork wrote:For the space conscious: NTFS compression cuts down 34% (from 65 to 43 megs). AppCompactor with default settings does almost nothing.
  • Cool info. Thanks for testing. :)

webfork

Re: Clementine - audio player for cloud, radio, podcasts, et

#18 Post by webfork »

Clementine might be best viewed against existing programs:

Comparison to gPodder (portable)
  • In terms of an overall podcasting tool, gPodder has a TON more features but is a bit simpler and more outfitted for music. In fact, Clementine doesn't support video or any Youtube channels.

This should be a problem for me since I've been getting the vast majority of my music from Youtube over the last two years. Fortunately, there are SO many great music options in Clementine, I don't miss it.
Comparison to Tomahawk (not portable)
  • Clementine is centered around finding radio stations rather than songs. Clementine also gets up and going quite a bit faster than Tomahawk and the search engine seemed a lot more effective.
  • Both programs are sort of like music versions of Cyberduck: there are better interfaces out there but their ability to plug into a wide variety of different services opens a lot of doors.
  • Neither program requires a net connection, but it's clearly where they shine. Without one, Foobar remains my favorite player both in terms of system resources and customization.
Last edited by webfork on Sat May 30, 2015 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: ( better wording )

webfork

#19 Post by webfork »

I retested a recent Clementine version and came up with some usage notes:

Excellent
  • Radio - definitely one of the best online radio interfaces I've ever seen. It can't beat streamWriter in terms of power and features but the interface and variety of connections are excellent.
  • SoundCloud and DI.FM interfaces are both outstanding.
  • Search is great, drawing from anything you've searched before. There's a TON of music at your fingertips here.
  • Progress bar When you hover the mouse over the tracking bar, it gives the time code for that section as with many programs but the time below it is the distance from the current marker, which updates based on position either ahead of:

... or behind:

I'm split between whether or not I prefer this method and Foobar's ability to customize the progress bar to be as wide as your screen.
  • Moodbar issue fixed Can now disable wavform generation (updated wishlist on previous entry), which I couldn't really interpret and seemed to tax the CPU.

Issues
  • Custom keyboard shortcuts didn't work on my Win7x64 machine. The default "media button" however worked on my Lenovo keyboard (globally), although intermittently.
  • Version check complains you don't have the latest version if you allow it to check (even though I have the latest version).
  • DI.FM settings - No clue how basic vs. premium works in the config. You'd assume that this means what setting you like if you have premium, but even after signing in, it still shows an option. shrug
  • Uninstall.exe is in the portable version. Why?
  • Google Drive: file seeking functionality seemed broken (i.e. can't jump to other parts of the song).
  • Radio buffering - On several radio stations without fail I'll get initial audio from a station, it will cut out and show a buffer percentage grow, then start up again without issue.
  • Playlists
    • - Creation and management was a little weird. Going from the main window, it wants to create playlists in the tabbed interface and seems to ignore the playlists button accessible from the playlist sidebar.
      - After creating a playlist in the top window, closing it prompts you that it's not in your favorite playlists and will be deleted but I couldn't figure out how to get it into my favorite playlists.

Wishlist
  • Sidebar design issues - Some design work here is needed to make sure the sidebar works on smaller screens. Outside of the default "large sidebar" setting, the available sidebar views are a little crowded unless you have it blown up to full screen and have a big screen (900x1600). That said, the window goes from large to small size very smoothly with default settings.
  • File info - Ability to right click on a file, stream, or otherwise and get details such as URL, quality/bitrate, any available metadata, etc. Right now some of this is available via right clicking on the toolbar with Title, Artist, Album, etc. and from the Song info / Artist info buttons.

Edit: few more wishlist items I left off my initial post:
  • Resist jump to next channel in playlist - I'd like to see options around the number of retries before going to the next item on the list. As it stands, any kind of network issue means it goes to the next station listed.
  • Podcasts: support for iTunes video (currently you can add them but it doesn't let you actually put them in a play list or download them)
  • Bookmark / save where you left off on a given track on a given play list (e.g. if you're 10 mins thru a soundcloud file, you should be able to swtich back to that soundcloud file and press play where you left off. Ideal for podcasts but could see uses on other things.)
  • Low importance
    • Skins/themes: Very low on my scale of wishes but I have a dark background monitor I'd like this program to blend into more. Edit: Not sure how I missed it but there's a custom color tool inside the Preferences menu. It does not however change the entire window structure, just the window background but looks pretty good in my tests: http://i.imgur.com/27TrjZK.png
    • Global search. Right now only some services can be searched and you can only search if you have clicked on that service (e.g. Magnatune). Note that how to format the wide range of search results would be difficult so this feature is a pretty big ask.
    • LastFM item Ability to right-click on the toolbar to remove the LastFM "love" button. Entering a LastFM username and password should automatically restore it or the settings as-is should be fine.
    • Animation - turn off or make optional the highlight bar (the purple bar that sort of pulses over the song).
Edit:
  • Hiding Extras - You can hide the services you don't want to see in the Preferences - User Interface - Internet services menu and just uncheck what you don't want/need. I for example unchecked services I don't have an account for: Amazon Cloud Drive, Box, Dropbox, OneDrive, Seafile, Spotify, Subsonic, and VK.com

---

My setup in this test: Win7x64 with Clementine-PortableSetup-1.2.3-1162-gfd645b3
Last edited by webfork on Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:17 am, edited 12 times in total.
Reason: ( better wording )

webfork

Re: Clementine v1.2.2

#20 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote:Current Clementine version is v1.2.2 -- there are a few prior builds that could be portable (untested!) at http://builds.clementine-player.org/win32/release/.
Weird. I was actually going to add this program to the site but the "portable" builds have disappeared from that directory. I have reached out to the devs about this. Hope it's not a permanent step away from portable.

Midas

Re: Clementine v1.2.2

#21 Post by Midas »

webfork wrote:Weird. I was actually going to add this program to the site but the "portable" builds have disappeared from that directory.

webfork

#22 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote:Clementine portable versions now have a dedicated release folder at http://builds.clementine-player.org/win32/portable/
Great news, thanks.

webfork

#23 Post by webfork »

Quick additional note about format support:

Format support: MP3, OGG, FLAC, MPC, MP4, M4B, AAC, WMA, MP4, SPX, WAV, APE, WV, MKA, OPUS, OGA, MKA, MP2

Playlists: M3U, M3U8, XSPF, PLS, ASX, ASXINI, CUE, WPL

Also, it works with iTunes podcasts as well as gpodder.net to sync with other programs and computers.

webfork

#24 Post by webfork »

So here’s the sort of unofficial portable thread over at the Clementione Github page:
https://github.com/clementine-player/Cl ... ssues/4509

It remains unclear what status the portable version has in terms of the overall program as it's still not mentioned on the official download page:

https://www.clementine-player.org/downloads

I'm reluctant to add this great program to the database if the developers are on the fence about it's status as a in-progress beta or somehow unofficial build.

Regardless, the program is still under development and you can see gradual progress on the download page. This topic is far from decided and the program clearly (as of this post) quite active: http://builds.clementine-player.org/win32/portable/

Midas

#25 Post by Midas »

webfork wrote:Regardless, the program is still under development and you can see gradual progress on the download page. This topic is far from decided and the program clearly (as of this post) quite active: http://builds.clementine-player.org/win32/portable/

smaragdus

Clementine 1.3.0

#26 Post by smaragdus »

Clementine version 1.3.0 stable has been finally released, there is also a portable version:

Direct Download Link for Clementine 1.3.0 Portable for Windows
All Windows Downloads
All Downloads
All Downloads at GitHub

Clementine 1.3.0 seems portable, but since Clementine uses GStreamer plug-ins I don't know whether it is stealth, confirmation needed.
Last edited by smaragdus on Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

webfork

#27 Post by webfork »

smaragdus wrote:All Downloads at GitHub
Thanks ... that's what I've been waiting for: an official download post. I was expecting that submitting a bug report would just result in "oh yeah we're not really supporting that one yet".
smaragdus wrote:Clementine 1.3.0 seems portable, but since Clementine uses GStreamer plug-ins I don't know whether it is stealth, confirmation needed.
I'll try to test that out sometime soon.

webfork

#28 Post by webfork »

webfork wrote:
smaragdus wrote:Clementine 1.3.0 seems portable, but since Clementine uses GStreamer plug-ins I don't know whether it is stealth, confirmation needed.
I'll try to test that out sometime soon.
Ran another check (on a Win7x86 machine).

Settings written to:
  • Clementine.ini
    clementine.db
    clementine.db.bak
    gst-registry-1.3-bin
    jamendo.db
Stealth: No, standard trolltech junk and to the root directory in a \data temp folder (it returns even if you delete it)

As is pretty obvious from all my posts before this one, I've spent a lot of time on this program. I'll definitely try to add this to the database in the near future.

smaragdus

#29 Post by smaragdus »

@webfork
Thanks for the tests.
As is pretty obvious from all my posts before this one, I've spent a lot of time on this program. I'll definitely try to add this to the database in the near future.
If you add Clementine count on my vote- I like it almost as much as MusicBee which I think also deserves to be added to the database.

smaragdus

Clementine 1.3.1

#30 Post by smaragdus »

Clementine at version 1.3.1- direct download link for Clementine 1.3.1 Portable. This time the portable version is not available for download from GitHub, it cannot be found at the official web-site either. I wonder why are the Clementine developers so shy about the portable version.