Save.me (formerly aiClipboard)

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
aiClipboard

Re: Save.me (formerly aiClipboard)

#46 Post by aiClipboard »

Gotcha, tried it now and apparently, when the popup appears after clicking the hotkey, you can access it only through with the mouse, will see what I can do.

Thanks for suggesting

Midas

#47 Post by Midas »

I'm the one who thanks you for your consideration, aiClipboard. :)

aiClipboard

#48 Post by aiClipboard »

Hi Midas,

I played a bit with your request and There are some obstacles achieving it. One example is, if you are on Notepad, for example and press the hotkey, a popup menu is shown but the cursor/focus is still on Notepad, where the text you will selected will be pasted, because of this, the menu cannot receive focus other than with the mouse.

I'm sure there is a solution for this but soon I will release 2.0.2 with some other minor changes and bugs fixes and without this request (for now).

Midas

#49 Post by Midas »

NP, I appreciate and thank your consideration. :)

EDIT: I restested Save.me (http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=2348) latest version, a clipboard manager that I once had high hopes for.

Save.me is an impressive program, that's for sure, especially if you play with the "Research" view. But the overall layout is preventing me to fully enjoy it, though, as it seems expressly conceived for high resolution ultra wide monitors (granted they're becoming more and more common).

I firmly believe now that the former layout, as shown in the screenshot I posted previously, had a higher usability coefficient. To have the full width of the preview in sight, the entries list pane gets reduced so much as to be practically unusable on my 1280x800 laptop screen; this is made worse by the inability to hide or at least displace the Sidebar.

On said sidebar, the "Last copied" box is so narrow it almost never displays the full clipping, unless you mouse over to get a tooltip -- which, in the end, would have been the better solution for this feature, IMHO. Save.me interface woes could possible be solved by making the three main panels arrangeable/floatable, or else (and I'll avow, less elegantly) by transferring the sidebar entries to the main program menu.

I have found a few other reasons to gripe, but none of them is as big a deal breaker as the ones I mentioned here...

webfork

#50 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote:the overall layout is preventing me to fully enjoy it, though, as it seems expressly conceived for high resolution ultra wide monitors (granted they're becoming more and more common).
I went ahead and updated the entry to the latest version, but the tendency for developers to write programs for their screen size is an ongoing problem in everywhere from mobile to web development.
Midas wrote:practically unusable on my 1280x800 laptop screen
I have that same resolution on my primary machine and I was able to get around okay. I don't know if there was an update inbetween when you used it, but it seemed ok in my limited testing. Certainly it can't go much below that size.

aiClipboard

#51 Post by aiClipboard »

Hi there

Not sure I understood the resolution problem Midas was talking about... can you or someone please explain it to me?
Thanks

Midas

#52 Post by Midas »

aiClipboard wrote:Not sure I understood the resolution problem Midas was talking about... can you or someone please explain it to me?
  • I thought the screenshot posted would be self explanatory -- while keeping the full content in view, I couldn't see enough of the entries to be able to promptly decide between similar ones... in other words, too many scroll bars. :(

aiClipboard

#53 Post by aiClipboard »

If you hover with the mouse, you will have a tooltip that shows the urls (as an example from your screenshot)
the preview window is only a preview window, you can always size it back to see more of the items info.
the items can be positioned horizontally instead of vertically (as it is now) but that will cause a different problem :)

what do you suggest?

webfork

#54 Post by webfork »

aiClipboard wrote:what do you suggest?
That is a hard problem and I'm sure there are several ways to tackle it, but I'll propose something that came to mind:
  • Don't change the current setup
  • Double-click an entry to open in a separate window
    • If the saved item is smaller than the screen, it should be zoomed to 100% (e.g. a photo that's 400x600)
    • If the saved item is larger than the screen, it should zoom to a fit-to-screen
    • If it's a web page (as we have in Midas example), don't necessarily need to be full screen, I'd think by default something that is 100% of the screen vertically, but only takes up about 50% of the screen horizontally.
I can mock something up if that doesn't make sense or isn't clear.

Midas

#55 Post by Midas »

aiClipboard wrote:What do you suggest?
  • Despite webfork's kind offer, I'll go ahead and suggest a simple solution: it would be better if the first pane visibility could be toggled on and off, and then the second and third one should be stacked vertically (instead of horizontally side by side as now -- that way, only verticall scrollbars)... :mrgreen:

aiClipboard

#56 Post by aiClipboard »

webfork wrote:
aiClipboard wrote:what do you suggest?
That is a hard problem and I'm sure there are several ways to tackle it, but I'll propose something that came to mind:
  • Don't change the current setup
  • Double-click an entry to open in a separate window
    • If the saved item is smaller than the screen, it should be zoomed to 100% (e.g. a photo that's 400x600)
    • If the saved item is larger than the screen, it should zoom to a fit-to-screen
    • If it's a web page (as we have in Midas example), don't necessarily need to be full screen, I'd think by default something that is 100% of the screen vertically, but only takes up about 50% of the screen horizontally.
I can mock something up if that doesn't make sense or isn't clear.

OK, so taking your idea means to simply let the user the option to open a detached preview window with an initial size and let the user change it as he wants while remember its last position/size between sessions (just like I do now with the main window). I got it correctly?

aiClipboard

#57 Post by aiClipboard »

Midas wrote:
aiClipboard wrote:What do you suggest?
  • Despite webfork's kind offer, I'll go ahead and suggest a simple solution: it would be better if the first pane visibility could be toggled on and off, and then the second and third one should be stacked vertically (instead of horizontally side by side as now -- that way, only verticall scrollbars)... :mrgreen:
so the user should be able to change the size of the leftmost panel and the other 2 panels should sit one on top of the other. Or better, the user will be able to switch between the vertical/horizontal layout. Correct?

1) Notice that widescreens are more and more standard so horizontal layout are becoming more standard
2) Even in vertical mode, the second panel (research view) will still have a horizontal scrollbar (along with a vertical one) so it won't be too dense.
3) In default view, the vertical layout might be unusable, because of the opposite reason you mentioned in your previous post.

aiClipboard

#58 Post by aiClipboard »

Hey there

A new version (2.1.5) was uploaded with the following changelog:
1. Images are now saved as png and not jpg.
2. Searching is done also in "copied from" field
3. The user can detach the preview window for more viewing flexibility
4. The layout can be either vertical or horizontal for better viewing
5. Bugs fixes

Enjoy and please let me know of any comments you may have

SYSTEM

#59 Post by SYSTEM »

aiClipboard wrote:Hey there

A new version (2.1.5) was uploaded with the following changelog:
1. Images are now saved as png and not jpg.
2. Searching is done also in "copied from" field
3. The user can detach the preview window for more viewing flexibility
4. The layout can be either vertical or horizontal for better viewing
5. Bugs fixes

Enjoy and please let me know of any comments you may have
Thank you. I have updated the entry. :)
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

Midas

#60 Post by Midas »

Great! Thanks. 8)