Save.me (formerly aiClipboard)

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
aiClipboard

Re: Save.me (formerly aiClipboard)

#31 Post by aiClipboard »

guinness wrote:aiClipboard,

Just a curious question, but do you use Win32 API to create the GUI or some custom function which creates its own class etc.?
I'm using Delphi in order to develop Save.me so each window is a simple form with skins applied.

Napiophelios

#32 Post by Napiophelios »

aiClipboard wrote: ...What do you mean by "double clicked results"?
When I double click an item in the sidebar to copy it
the result is an error message
( I see the source of your confusion...sorry my punctuation sucks)

aiClipboard wrote: 2. Double clicking an item on the sidebar, will copy this item to the clipboard, I will add a context menu as well.
I have the option enabled it just isnt working for me

aiClipboard wrote: 6. You can view the items in research view, isn't it what you need?
Yes it is, I completely missed the research pane :oops:

also when I opened the app I didnt realize I had an unseen/hidden/slide panel in Default view in which to change group names add to favorites etc.
my apologies.

aiClipboard

#34 Post by aiClipboard »

Thanks a lot!
Now I really need to update it fast to 2.0.1 with the fixes to the problem reported here
Will do that soon

aiClipboard

#35 Post by aiClipboard »

Napiophelios wrote:This is a pretty cool portable but I have several minor gripes/glitches when using it.

option to copy item to clipboard when double clicked results in an error message when actually implemented from the sidebar
would be nice if you could add a right click context menu to sidebar items ( to copy / paste / delete /add to favorites )
or at least a tiny toolbar with these options

after opening and closing the gui to the systray a few times I cant get it to show itself anymore and have to exit the application:
you need another option in the systray icon popup menu selection to "hide/unhide SaveMe Gui"

Like most apps with the option to start minimised,
SaveMe Gui actually shows itself for a split second when opened;
very annoying.

Would be nice if the user could resize the sidebar window's length.

Would be nice if the user could choose a display view for the copied items (list,small icon,etc.)
I prefer a list view but as it is mine shows as tiles and just slows things down when looking for items I want to see

Would be nice to have an option for the sidebar to automatically slide out of view when mouse leaves the sidebar window
I like it how it is now but its still a nice choice to have with this kinda production app.

would be nice to be able to control/disable the transparency effect of the sidebar window;
I thought disabled the Aero effects under theme options would stop the transparency
but I obviously dont know what the hell aero effects are since I am still using xp :)

oh yeah, how do I add stuff to my favorite selection?
Version 2.0.1 released:

1. Fixed problem when double clicking an item on the sidebar, the action will be as defined in the settings (either open or copy to clipboard.
2. I added an option to show the GUI in the popup menu of the tray icon and the main button of the application.
3. Start minimized should now work as it should
4. You can control the transparency of the sidebar
5. Some other minor fixes.

I'll be happy to receive more comments and suggestions
Thanks!

Lupo73

#36 Post by Lupo73 »

Very good application! It has a review also on a famous italian website http://www.geekissimo.com/2012/12/14/save-me/

I have a major request, maybe already discussed: is there a reason why files are copied in "data" folder? why not simply save the path of copied files? because it is not very efficient for big files (like movies)..

aiClipboard

#37 Post by aiClipboard »

Thank you for letting me know about the Italian review :)

Regarding your request: The reason is that the file may not be there because it was deleted/removed/renamed/corrupted etc... so Save.Me store it in its own data folder so you (really) will never lose it (and that is the purpose, not to lose anything).

Regarding the size of files: you can setup a limit of files to be stored in Save.Me so you can set it not to store files/folders that weighs more than X MB (X is configurable).

If you have more questions or suggestions, do share

Midas

#38 Post by Midas »

It would really fit my working style if CTRL+SHIFT+Arrow UP/DOWN could be set system wide to navigate the history of saved clippings, allowing for recall of past clippings to be pasted with CTRL+V; it would be even better if some summary info (a few lines of text, the file name and type, etc.) about the currently selected clipping was displayed on screen (in a tooltip, for instance) when this navigation occurs while the main Save.me window is minimized... Thanks for you work. 8)

aiClipboard

#39 Post by aiClipboard »

Settings > Application
There you can define a hotkey and what to show, when this hotkey is pressed.
When pressing the hotkey, a menu will appear and from there you can paste the selected item.

Is that what you wanted?

aiClipboard

#40 Post by aiClipboard »

Midas

#41 Post by Midas »

aiClipboard wrote:Settings > Application: There you can define a hotkey and what to show, when this hotkey is pressed. When pressing the hotkey, a menu will appear and from there you can paste the selected item. Is that what you wanted?
Not quite: after pressing the chosen hotkey, the clipping would immediately become available for pasting, thus streamlining its use. Of course the menu would be handy in other situations.

aiClipboard

#42 Post by aiClipboard »

In your previous post you wanted a hotkey to browse the past clippings and be able to past directly from that menu, correct?

In your last post you say you want a dedicated hotkey for a certain clipped item so it will be pasted automatically when the hotkey is pressed, correct?

Midas

#43 Post by Midas »

aiClipboard wrote:In your previous post you wanted a hotkey to browse the past clippings and be able to past directly from that menu, correct?

In your last post you say you want a dedicated hotkey for a certain clipped item so it will be pasted automatically when the hotkey is pressed, correct?
My last post was already taking your answer into account; the functionality I'm aiming for is something like a keyboard only mode of interaction, which will contribute a great deal to improve usability while you're editing text, for example, which is mostly done with the keyboard anyway. So the answer to your questions is no and yes, respectively... Thanks again. :)

aiClipboard

#44 Post by aiClipboard »

OK, so just let me see that I understood you: You want to setup a key combination per item (of your choice) to be pasted automatically. Now the question is, won't it require to setup, theoretically, an endless amount of combinations?

The favorites menu gives you a compromise solution where with one combination you have access to your (one or more) favorite clippings, no?

Midas

#45 Post by Midas »

aiClipboard wrote:OK, so just let me see that I understood you: You want to setup a key combination per item (of your choice) to be pasted automatically. Now the question is, won't it require to setup, theoretically, an endless amount of combinations?

The favorites menu gives you a compromise solution where with one combination you have access to your (one or more) favorite clippings, no?
Sorry, aiClipboard, but we seem to be having some communication difficulties -- I'll just restate my initial suggestion and start from there:
Midas wrote:It would really fit my working style if CTRL+SHIFT+Arrow UP/DOWN could be set system wide to navigate the history of saved clippings, allowing for recall of past clippings to be pasted with CTRL+V; it would be even better if some summary info (a few lines of text, the file name and type, etc.) about the currently selected clipping was displayed on screen (in a tooltip, for instance) when this navigation occurs while the main Save.me window is minimized...
In my case, the CTRL+SHIFT+UP/DOWN would suffice nicely for what I have in mind -- I only took consideration for users that may prefer otherwise... Also favorites will not do (I have experience with other programs that provide them; see Echo, for example); favorites tend to be static, my suggestion is for a dynamic way to navigate through clipping history via keyboard, without having Save.me program interface/menus in focus. I use an old (initially non-portable) version of a clipboard manager that does precisely this, but it would be nice to have an updated utility with better features.