Screenshot Captor

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Ehtyar

Screenshot Captor

#1 Post by Ehtyar »

[Moderator note: this is the primary Screenshot Captor program thread. View database entry]

---

Screenshot Captor
Link: http://www.donationcoder.com/Software/M ... index.html
Summary:
Screenshot Captor is a program for taking screenshots on your computer. It's different from other screenshot utilis in several notable ways:
* Optimized for taking lots of screenshots with minimal intervention.
* Smart autonaming of files, and ability to embed textual comments in files.
* Lots of capture modes: Multimon (multiple monitors), Desktop, Active Window, Region, Windows Object. Each mode has a hotkey for quick access.
* Unique Cool Effects, including automatic active window enhancement (see pictures below).
* Autoscroll capture for windows too big for screen.
* Deluxe thumbnail maker.
* Quick PostCapture PopUp Dialog.
* Quick Screenshot Emailer Menu.
Screenshot:

arnauld

screenshotcaptor

#2 Post by arnauld »

Hello,

I've just found "screenshotcaptor", a useful tool to take screen snapshot which is free and appears to be portable. I really think it's the best free screencapture utility I've seen...

http://www.donationcoder.com/Software/M ... index.html

Arnob

http://arnauldenchine.hautetfort.com

Ennovy

#3 Post by Ennovy »

2arnauld
Hi and welcome

Donationcoder.com has a strange license policy to"encourage" people to make a donation. http://www.donationcoder.com/Keys/index.php
You can also read this thread: http://portablefreeware.com/forums/view ... ationcoder

Because of that, I don't use the software from donationcoder.

I like the layout of your site 8) . It's a shame I don't speak french. ("un petit peut") :cry:

arnauld

#4 Post by arnauld »

Hello,

ok, I understand. As for my blog, unfortunately it's blocked in China and I live in China.
That's how I dicovered portablefreeware, trying to find a portable Tor.

Thanks for your very useful web site :)

arnauld

Cornflower

pet peeve

#5 Post by Cornflower »

Call it a pet peeve, but I very much dislike portable software that does not make it clear which are the minimum number of required files. On using Univeral Extractor, four subdirectories, multiple DLLs and other files presented themselves. For some of the same reason I like portable software and dislike bloatware, I like to know if I can do without the language files, skins, etc., and when I compare FSCapture where I keep only the .exe and .chm files and winding my way through ScreenshotCaptor's requirements, I find I don't even want to look at any extra features the latter has.

- pet peeve mode off now -

mouser

#6 Post by mouser »

Greetings, I'm the author of Screenshot Captor.

Cornflower, it didn't occur to me to list minimum files -- most of my programs you really need them all, however i think i will take your advice and start including a section in each of my help files describing how to use the programs portably.

In the case of Screenshot Captor, you can actually skip the Clipart and Frames subdirectories if you don't need that clipart, which will save you 2mb.

Arnob, thank you for your kind words!

Cornflower

#7 Post by Cornflower »

Thanks, mouser. Thanks for the info. We've come a long way from when I had ALL my utilities on two 5 1/4" floppy diskettes. (Actually one, but the other was the bootup disk with Dos 3.3--still my sentimental favourite of all the DOSs)

My comments were not directed to you personally, but if I have a choice between a utility that requires only an .exe and perhaps a few .dll files versus a utility that has even one directory for settings, to me the former feels a lot more portable, and there are a lot fewer things to remember to copy.

That said, I am looking forward to going past the screenshots of screenshotcaptor and giving it a whirl.

joby_toss

#8 Post by joby_toss »

New version 2.43.01b:
"v2.43.01 - October 5th, 2008
* Improved detection of non-traditional window skins, and better edge detection for skinned windows (for example capturing bblean-skinned windows).
* On launch of a second instance the user is now shown an explanation of how to activate the already running instance from the system tray.
* Clicking the save+ button now increments the _ver00# suffix instead of resulting in _ver001_ver001 type chains.
* Added a few commandline options to control how SC is started (-maximize, - minimize, -show)'
* Print options are now saved between runs.
* Added bmp file format to default file format list.
* Added Portable mode support (edit the configdir.ini file and add line PORTABLE=TRUE); when enabled no system files or any files outside of the program directory will be written "
Great program!

Werner

Re: Screenshot Captor

#9 Post by Werner »

Hi, there is a new, improved version available:

Screenshot Captor is a best-in-class tool for grabbing, manipulating, annotating, and sharing screenshots. It's different from other screenshot utilities in several notable ways:

Optimized for taking lots of screenshots with minimal intervention; highly configurable to make it work the way you want it to but stays out of your way in the system tray.
Excellent multi-monitor support.
- Full set of scanner acquisition tools and scanner image correction.
- Perfect capture of Windows 7 partial transparency effects.
- The most powerful scrolling capture tool in the field.
- Easy automatic or on-demand uploading of screenshots to a wide variety of image hosting services (imageshack, flickr, ftp, etc.).
- Great ragged edge splicing effects.
Smart autonaming of files, easy renaming and format conversion; automatic image file versioning.
Ability to embed textual comments in files, watermarking, captioning.
Lots of capture modes: Multimon (multiple monitors), Desktop, Active Window, Region, Windows Object, Scrolling Capture. Each mode has a customizable hotkey for quick access.
Cool Special Effects,including automatic active window enhancement, ragged edge splicing, pixelation, and many more.
Unsurpassed support for 3rd party user configurable tools, including file browsers and image editors; extend the program to do whatever you need by interfacing it with other programs.
Sidebar thumbnail file browser provides full shell operations, drag and drop support, and right-click actions on screenshots.
Deluxe thumbnail maker and watermarker.
Optional quick PostCapture PopUp Dialog.
Quick Screenshot Emailer Menu.

And, there is also a portable version available for download!

I haven't tested it yet neither tested for portability, but just if someone is in need for a tool with this capabilities.

joby_toss

#10 Post by joby_toss »

Submitted here: http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2412

Special notes about the license key:
donationcoder wrote:In order to encourage people to really consider making a donation, we have adopted a somewhat unusual policy for people who do not donate:

The free license key generated here will remove the reminder nag from the program for 6 months.
After 6 months the reminder will come back and you must return to this page to generate a new license key which will last for another 6 months.
After 1 year from your initial signup you can return to this page for a permanent non-expiring license key.
...If you're not ready to make a donation at this time, but want to download a free key for one of the programs on this site, you'll first need to sign up at our forum, or log in if you already have an account.
Screencasts that show the power of Screenshot Captor: http://www.donationcoder.com/screencasts/sc
Last edited by joby_toss on Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I am Baas

#11 Post by I am Baas »

How is this considered "freeware" when you need to register for a license key?

and AFAICR, SC uses ColorCop V5.4.5 which is not portable (need to downgrade to v5.3). How about the dcupdate feature? Is it now portable?

joby_toss

#12 Post by joby_toss »

Download, unzip, use. No money needed, no license key needed. Just hit the "Dismiss" button every 10 days or so.

License key only allows you to not see the reminder message (telling you should visit the website and get a license key) every 10 days.
You can get a license key from the website without registering, also. This is good for 60 days without the reminder message.
If you register with donationcoder, the license key is good for 6 months. After 1 year it becomes permanent.
All this without having to pay anything.
I think it's a pretty good deal for such a powerful software made by such a good and honest guy like Mouser!

P.S. I think we live a time when such offerings are starting to become extinct. Sadly, software developers will not be able to deliver us such good tools without donations. :(
Last edited by joby_toss on Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

joby_toss

#13 Post by joby_toss »

I am Baas wrote:and AFAICR, SC uses ColorCop V5.4.5 which is not portable (need to downgrade to v5.3).
True. I'll add a note to the entry.
I am Baas wrote:How about the dcupdate feature? Is it now portable?
SC has built-in update check capability. No need to use the dcupdate tool. However, you'll need to update SC manually, like any other portable software.

I am Baas

#14 Post by I am Baas »

joby_toss wrote:Download, unzip, use. No money needed, no license key needed. Just hit the "Dismiss" button every 10 days or so.<br sab="788"><br sab="789">License key only allows you to not see the reminder message (telling you should visit the website and get a license key) every 10 days.<br sab="790">You can get a license key from the website without registering, also. This is good for 60 days without the reminder message.<br sab="791">If you register with donationcoder, the license key is good for 6 months. After 1 year it becomes permanent.<br sab="792">All this without having to pay anything.<br sab="793">I think it's a pretty good deal for such a powerful software made by such a good and honest guy like Mouser!<br sab="794"><br sab="795">P.S. I think we live a time when such offerings are starting to become extinct. Sadly, software developers will not be able to deliver us such good tools without donations. :(
This all does not make it "freeware". I would classify it as free "registerware". Did you tell DC (mouser) about the RtColorPicker registry key?

Thanks for reminding me about Screenshot Captor. I like the toolbar in the newest version.

I am Baas

#15 Post by I am Baas »

joby_toss wrote:
I am Baas wrote:How about the dcupdate feature? Is it now portable?
SC has built-in update check capability. No need to use the dcupdate tool. However, you'll need to update SC manually, like any other portable software.
I was referring to these two files; ScreenshotCaptor.dcupdate and ScreenshotCaptor.dcupdateredirect. Are they needed for the built-in update checker? They were not portable last time I checked.