Flying Carpet - utility for versatile file transfer

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
MakoSoft

Flying Carpet - utility for versatile file transfer

#1 Post by MakoSoft »

Flying Carpet is easy to use, small, universal application designed for
send and receive files between Android, iOS, Linux, macOS, and Windows.

It implements file transport without cables, USB flash memory, Wi-Fi access point.
Only two computing devices in proximity with Wi-Fi hardware (chips) are required.
Network (LAN with switch) or alternatively mobile cell connection are not needed.

Screenshot from Windows version:
https://github.com/spieglt/FlyingCarpet ... indows.png

Developer: Theron Spiegl
HomePage: https://github.com/spieglt/FlyingCarpet

Licence: GNU General Public Licence Version 3
Runs on: Windows 11, Windows 10-64 bit and Android, iOS, Linux, MacOS

Latest release 7.1 of June 8, 2023
Standalone version portable file: FlyingCarpet.exe 8.51 MB
Download from:
https://github.com/spieglt/FlyingCarpet ... s/tag/v7.1

In my opinion, this is very interesting and original, but
already mature project, useful for many practical tasks.
----------------------------------------------------------------

freakazoid

Re: Flying Carpet - utility for versatile file transfer

#2 Post by freakazoid »

Didn't know about this one. Thanks MakoSoft! I've added this to my cross-platform file sending list over here - viewtopic.php?p=103969#p103969.
is it stealth? ;)

FileHandler

#3 Post by FileHandler »

Turns out my Android 7 is too old and not supported by this app. Guess I need to upgrade anyway, at some point. Then try this app again. Although the newer versions have built-in file sharing, from what I heard. Anyway, I was hoping I could transfer from my old Android, but apparently this is not the case.

Andrew Lee

#4 Post by Andrew Lee »

Google has Nearby Share (beta) for Windows, which I have been using for quite a few months now with no dramas.

Flying Carpet is probably useful for 2 reasons:

1) Portability; but you would need to install an extra app on your Android devices
2) If you need simple multi-platform support; getting nearby share to work on Mac/Linux requires either 3rd party apps or Chrome AFAIK.

Personally, I think it's a great extra option to have available.

FileHandler

#5 Post by FileHandler »

Andrew Lee wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:53 am Google has Nearby Share (beta) for Windows, which I have been using for quite a few months now with no dramas.
Thank you, Andrew. Nearby Share was among the first things I tried, when I spotted it in my Android settings. Unfortunately, it does not support my Windows 7.

The cross-platform list provided by freakazoid was helpful for other reasons, but so far, I have not been able to transfer from Android 7 to Win 7, seems like I am always missing some vital component. :x

freakazoid

#6 Post by freakazoid »

FileHandler wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:54 am The cross-platform list provided by freakazoid was helpful for other reasons, but so far, I have not been able to transfer from Android 7 to Win 7, seems like I am always missing some vital component. :x
Try LanXChange or LocalSend. They should work on Android 7. LanXchange on Windows requires Java though, so maybe try LocalSend first. When using Windows for any of these cross-platform apps, you have to make sure your internet network connection is set to private and not public otherwise the local network lookup might not work as good. Also when Windows Firewall pops up about any of these apps, also set the firewall rules to private as well.
is it stealth? ;)

FileHandler

#7 Post by FileHandler »

Thanks a ton, freakazoid, you made my day. :D
LocalSend did the trick. Finally. Just when I was about to give up. Don't know what I had done wrong previously, probably the private vs public network setting. Thanks for that hint!

LanXChange was my first choice, after Flying Carpet had failed to install on my Android. But somehow or other, the Java runtime must be totally messed up on my machine, I had problems with that before, which is why I generally try to avoid it.

Anyway, everything is fine now, I am perfectly happy with Local Send. Easy to operate, fast transfers, clean interface with large font size ... — I really appreciate your help and the list you have compiled.

When I have a new phone, I will try Flying Carpet again. Like Andrew said, always good to have extra options available.