SuppressDwmPerformancePrompts64

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
pax.soft.dev

SuppressDwmPerformancePrompts64

#1 Post by pax.soft.dev »

SuppressDwmPerformancePrompts64 (or SuppressDwm64) is a notification suppression utility for Desktop Window Manager of Windows 7. Additionally, it allows for preventing DWM from changing the color scheme.
[...]
Desktop Window Manager informs the end-user if their computer is low on memory and offers to change the color scheme or does it automatically. It is a good and polite practice until such notifications become unjustifiable. SuppressDwm64 has been written to suppress any notifications from DWM. Additionally, it offers the possibility to prevent it from switching the color scheme.
[...]

Homepage / Download:
I also added the program to the TPF database directly:
You may get AV false positives (especially with avast!) with respect to its DLLs. The program verifies checksums of the DLLs and will not load them if it finds them modified.
Last edited by pax.soft.dev on Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:40 am, edited 3 times in total.

webfork

Re: SuppressDwm64

#2 Post by webfork »

I don't think I understand. What is the Desktop Window Manager doing that's a problem? Why does it need to be suppressed?

pax.soft.dev

Re: SuppressDwmPerformancePrompts64

#3 Post by pax.soft.dev »

I did explain what it does in its manual. In the past you could have seen Windows 7 displaying the "The color scheme has been changed" dialogs which were disrupting resource-heavy applications (mainly) but those windows were also appearing when nothing was going on. Now there are probably few people who are bothered by those notifications (or color scheme changes), but still, this tool allows for suppressing them. The problem is not this intense now because graphics card vendors (probably) made their drivers lull DWM somehow into thinking that it is all right, and that is probably why you don't even know of the nature of the problem.

I invite you to give it a "dry run". You can do it in a VM if you are worried. Apart from what I have written above, all the rest is inside its documentation in the SFX.

webfork

Re: SuppressDwmPerformancePrompts64

#4 Post by webfork »

I invite you to give it a "dry run". You can do it in a VM if you are worried.
I'm not seeing that "color scheme has changed" message so I'm sort of stuck here; I can't test a fix for a problem I don't have.
Apart from what I have written above, all the rest is inside its documentation in the SFX.
You've got to make a case for the program's use or it's not going to go live (as discussed in a related post). The format that I try to use in my entries surrounds either a problem-solution format or feature summary. So for example with FileOptimizer, people generally know about compression so I mostly focus on features. For programs like Pixel Repair, we describe the problem and note how this program fixes/diagnoses it.