Sizer (window resizer shell extension)

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Midas

Sizer (window resizer shell extension)

#1 Post by Midas »

I posted here a notice about Sizer development resuming -- it is now supposedly portable (untested) and x64 compliant, although only in v3.4 Dev Builds...

http://www.brianapps.net/sizer/sizer34.html wrote:A lot of people are very keen to get 64 bit support so I'm posting work in progress versions here. I suspect many users are happy to sacrifice a bit of stability to get their hands on a bleeding edge version. These versions come with the following caveats: incomplete, see notes in the features section for details what's been done; no installer, only available as a zip package, just unzip all the files and run sizer.exe; may have bugs, hopefully these versions are stable but testing will have been limited; no docs.

25 July 2012: Sizer 3.4 Dev Build 465. Fix bug with system menu resizing in v462. Minor tweaks to system tray resizing.
24 July 2012: Sizer 3.4 Dev Build 462. Fix multi-monitor issues with interactive and system tray sizing. Show hotkey shortcuts in popup menus.
23 July 2012: Sizer 3.4 Dev Build 459. First pass at multi-monitor support. Can select which monitor to move a window to during resizing.
19 July 2012: Sizer 3.4 Dev Build 455. Save configuration settings to file rather than registry.

Last edited by Midas on Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

webfork

Re: Sizer

#2 Post by webfork »

synopsis wrote:Sizer is a freeware utility that allows you to resize any window to an exact, predefined size. This is extremely useful when designing web pages, as it allows you to see how the page will look when viewed at a smaller size. The utility is also handy when compiling screen-shots for documentation, using Sizer allows you to easily maintain the same window size across screen grabs.

Midas

#3 Post by Midas »

I just noticed the screenshot of Sizer I posted previously is from the v3.34 (stable, 32 bit only, doesn't support keyboard shortcuts), not the mentioned v3.4 DEVBUILDs -- so here's an updated one:

For the sake of topic completeness, the development builds can be made portable by creating a 'sizer.xml' file in the program folder; download from http://www.brianapps.net/sizer/sizer34.html.
Last edited by Midas on Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

freakazoid

#4 Post by freakazoid »

Just tried the latest build of Sizer. Midas is right. It's portable by creating a sizer.xml file in the same directory.

Uses about 2.0 MB RAM. Does anyone know of another program that can resize or center windows? Don't mind if it's by command-line.
is it stealth? ;)

tproli

#5 Post by tproli »

Well, how about PowerPro? Can do both and hundreds of more.

It eats about 2.5 megs here but I'm using it for a couple of dozen things. Be warned: not for beginners :)

lautrepay

#6 Post by lautrepay »

freakazoid wrote:Does anyone know of another program that can resize or center windows?
WinSize2.

Midas

#7 Post by Midas »

There's also AutoSizer (http://www.southbaypc.com/autosizer/, presumed to be not portable; mentioned by lautrepay at viewtopic.php?p=48643#p48643), my former preference for that...

tproli wrote:Well, how about PowerPro? [...] Be warned: not for beginners :)
A topic with a PowerPro beginner's guide would make a valuable entry here at TPFC... ;)

joby_toss

#8 Post by joby_toss »

I also use PowerPro for this task.

@ Midas: check this topic viewtopic.php?t=209 .

Midas

#9 Post by Midas »

joby_toss wrote:@Midas: check this topic viewtopic.php?t=209.
Great! 8)

freakazoid

#10 Post by freakazoid »

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

The most important feature for me is centering the windows. I've already looked into AutoSizer and that does not offer that feature.

I'll look into WinSize2 and PowerPro.
is it stealth? ;)

joby_toss

#11 Post by joby_toss »

You could also try Winsplit Revolution.
But I don't understand, why Sizer is not good for this job?

freakazoid

#12 Post by freakazoid »

I'm probably going to stick with Sizer. It does a good job, but, I'm always looking for alternatives! :)
is it stealth? ;)

Midas

#13 Post by Midas »

If auto-centering is your thing, the topic referred above also mentions the even smaller Desklite, which does that on double clicking its window list (check viewtopic.php?p=48798#p48798)...

As for Sizer, I detailed Win+C for window centering -- as seen in the second screen shot above.

Userfriendly

#14 Post by Userfriendly »

After a long time, Sizer v4 preview now available. http://www.brianapps.net/sizer4/

What's new in version 4

Better compatibility. Sizer has been completely rewritten to improve compatibility with modern applications including Windows 10 Apps. Sizer 4.0 is less intrusive than previous versions and therefore is more stable. Unfortunately this increased stability comes at a small price, some infrequently used features have been removed as a result. See the more details page for further info.

Hot keys. Sizer actions, including bringing up the main resizing menu, can be assigned to a hot key that can be used at any time. e.g. by default pressing Ctrl+Win+Z brings up the Sizer context menu. This saves you hunting out the window border to right click it.

Macros and expressions. Specify sizes and positions as formula. e.g. 0.7 * w:mon results in a value that is 70% of the width of the current monitor. With macros you can position several windows at the same time allowing you to layout multiple applications the way you want them. Further documentation will follow but in the meantime you can consult the railroad diagrams for details of the syntax.

Menu groups. Simplify and tidy up the Sizer menu by creating cascading menus with groups.

Portable. Run Sizer from a USB pen drive or keep your configurations in one place.

Configuration file management. Export and import settings via the user interface.

Special

#15 Post by Special »

Seems like a big let down, missing a lot from v3.4 and can't even import v3.4 to v4.0, can't really be bothered to set up my 30 some window sizes again.