Locate32 - indexing search

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
freakazoid

Locate32 - indexing search

#1 Post by freakazoid »

Category: Files - Search (10)

Synopsis: Locate32 is a file finder which works by indexing all your files on your hard disk drive and thus is able to provide almost instant access to them.

Writes settings to: Application Folder? (need someone to verify)

How to extract: Download the ZIP package and extract to a folder of your choice. Rename the file "portable.ini" to "locate.ini". Launch "locate32.exe". Go under "Options > Settings > Databases" and change the "default" database location to the same folder as "locate32.exe".

Unicode support: Yes?

License: Freeware

System Requirements: Win95 / Win98 / WinME / WinNT / Win2K / WinXP

---------------------

I know before it used to write to the registry, but there's a new "portable.ini" file that can be used for portability! Read instructions above.

Would like to know if this is considered "stealth"...

Thanks!

http://locate32.net/files/betas/locate3 ... .06150.zip

ashghost

#2 Post by ashghost »

It writes to the registry and then copies the values to portable.reg in the application directory. I can't tell if it cleans up after itself (RegView isn't opening the Sandboxie reghive on my XP machine for some reason).

It creates a folder in %AppData% (but doesn't create the default database for you unless you tell it to) and a couple of tmp files.

However, the biggest problem is that it doesn't seem to support portable paths to database files, so databases aren't truly portable.

I'd say it's not even portable yet (unless all you want is to be able to run it on a machine where you don't have install privileges), much less stealth.

Cheers

Joe

joby_toss

#3 Post by joby_toss »

I am a big "fan" of Locate32 so i might not be as objective as i should!
It uses [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Update-portable] registry values but after you close the program this is gone (it creates portable.reg file in its own folder).
Unicode support: I don't have any reason to believe otherwise, so yes.
I have no Locate32 folder (or similar) in %AppData% .
As for database portability, just use %locatedir% and you're good to go.
I don't know much else about it (stealth etc.), but as far as i am concerned, it is perfect (not even one relevant registry entrie after using it).

freakazoid

#4 Post by freakazoid »

hey joby_toss,

where would you put the %locatedir% variable?
in the .ini?

what string are you using?

thanks!

joby_toss

#5 Post by joby_toss »

Hello,
Here is the Locate32's forum post where its author (Janne Huttunen, i believe) explains how to make it "more" portable:
http://locate32.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=54

Go to Options/Settings/Databases and edit your database path to look something like this: %locatedir%\joby.dbs .
Or edit your portable.reg file (read that forum topic first) and your database settings should look something like:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Update-portable\Databases\1_joby]
@="joby"
"Flags"=dword:00000027
"Thread"=dword:00000000
"ID"=dword:0000e93a
"ArchiveType"=dword:00000000
"ArchiveName"="%locatedir%\\joby.dbs"
"Creator"="joby"
"Description"="C:\\"
"Roots"=""
"Included Files"=""
"Included Directories"=""
"Excluded Files"=""
"Excluded Directories"=""
"RootMaps"=""

Hope this helps!

freakazoid

#6 Post by freakazoid »

Thanks!

Will give that a shot!

webfork

Re: Locate32 3.1.8.6150 (beta)

#7 Post by webfork »

Really wish this was genuinely portable. Here's why:
  1. Will index remote drives (the real winner for me -- have a HUGE remote drive its able to search instantly).
  2. The only Desktop Search-style software I can seem to find that is a small footprint, doesn't require some ridiculous install process, and very easy to use.
  3. Can set up different databases to update at different times. So for example the slow-changing remote drive can be refreshed every few hours, your backup drive every week, and the local C:\ drive set to update hourly.
  4. Lots of good settings and customizations to keep it out of your way.
  5. Reminds me very much of Nirsoft's approach to software, which I love.
  6. Will index FAT32 drives (a failure of the magnificent Everything program).
At home, I'll still use Copernic Desktop to index local drive file names as well as internal information, but everywhere else, Locate32 is the way to go.

guinness

#8 Post by guinness »

How to make Locate32 Portable.

1. Rename 'portable.ini' to 'locate.ini'
2. Launch locate32.exe
3. Navigate to Tools >> Settings >> Databases
4. Select the Database labeled 'default' and choose the Edit button.
5. In the 'file' input box paste %locatedir%\files.dbs and select "Okay" then "Okay" again, Exit Locate32.
6. Launch locate32.exe and navigate to File >> Update Database (Not Update Databases F9) and select '1: default'
7. Exit Locate32.

Note: To ensure no data was left behind whilst creating the Portable Version, navigate to %APPDATA% and delete the Locate32 folder if applicable.
Last edited by guinness on Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:10 am, edited 5 times in total.

freakazoid

#9 Post by freakazoid »

Looks like a candidate for a new listing ;)
is it stealth? ;)

guinness

#10 Post by guinness »

Yeh, I will vote for it. Despite the weird work around and the wrapper like effect of the application it's not as bad as some applications in the database. Should freakazoid add it?

joby_toss

#11 Post by joby_toss »

Could you please try something for me?

If you use a launcher (PowerPro, LaunchbarCommander, FARR, RocketDock, Appetiser etc), try adding the Locate32 version you made portable to it (shortcut icon or hotkey) and launch it this way.
It doesn't "stay portable" for me (tries to search for the database in %appdata%)!
I'm using PowerPro and FARR and it doesn't work in both cases. I should mention I am launching Locate32 with the search term as a parameter so it opens directly the search result list for that expression.

If I start Locate32 directly, it stays portable (finds the database in its folder etc).

Can't explain this. Maybe it's just my case.

Napiophelios

#12 Post by Napiophelios »

Isnt there some way to define a working folder in those app launchers Joby_Toss?
I have a couple of portables that behave like that.

webfork

#13 Post by webfork »

> This should now be portable. joby_toss's advice on editing the Reg File didn't work, but the above did!

That is fantastic -- thanks for looking into that again. Very, very good news.

guinness

#14 Post by guinness »

Could you please try something for me?
The information I posted previously was the Portable Version I was using, nothing else was changed i.e. extra settings.

Tested XP SP3 I dragged and dropped locate32.exe icon onto PStart.exe and Rocket Dock.exe took a snapshot of before and after with System Explorer.exe and executed. Nothing but the portable.reg was changed. I searched the database, deleted private data in Locate32, just to see if anything would be written. But Nothing! Weird experience you have.

So when is it going to be added?

joby_toss

#15 Post by joby_toss »

Napiophelios wrote:Isnt there some way to define a working folder in those app launchers Joby_Toss?
I have a couple of portables that behave like that.
I have defined an working folder without success...

It's just me so go ahead, post this one, freakazoid!