Bvckup - high speed "delta" sync

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Midas

Re: Bvckup

#16 Post by Midas »

Thanks for clarifying that, Vacherin. Let it be known Bvckup is the first backup program I've managed to use somewhat consistently... :oops:

vacherin

#17 Post by vacherin »

Same here :)

Midas

#18 Post by Midas »

No way! :o :)

webfork

#19 Post by webfork »

vacherin wrote:I added it now, so if you check for updates, you will see something like this
Thanks for that.

Enternal

#20 Post by Enternal »

And... I ended up buying it and totally not regretting it. However since I'm poor, I only bought one license for my primary computer. I used the beta versions for the other 4 computers.

webfork

#21 Post by webfork »

Finally checked out bvckup 2. Had to wait until my next round of backups happened.

This is definitely pushing into the professional backup realm. I'm honestly a bit glad the developer has gone the route of unsupported beta + commercialware version as this has a remarkable amount of polish for a freeware tool; It's something he should be making money from.

A few notes:
  • I don't have a reliable setup to test the speed claim that vacherin pointed to, although I'd like to.
  • Supports realtime backups (as-it-happens), as well as lots of nice scheduling options. A fantastic addition.
  • The program automatically excludes a bunch of system and temp file folders, which is excellent.
  • The window user interface is remarkably good.
  • You can archive stuff you would otherwise delete and then the program will trash that eventually.
  • On the Truecrypt volume, I tried using the "re-scan destination on every ruN' option but it still wouldn't copy. The $touch command did the trick.
  • Did a transfer with an error: ZwFsControlFile() failed with c0000010 ... This might have something to do with doing this over a network connection so this is very probably just me. Regardless, the transfer worked fine and all changes in a 15 gig file were made in just 5 minutes. Very impressive.

webfork

#22 Post by webfork »

I've added Bvckup 2: http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2655

Please vote if you think it should be in the database.

I only hesitated adding this program because there's very little on the home site talking about the unsupported beta, which makes it feel temporary/vague. However, I've been using it as my primary backup method, the DEV has responded directly here in the forums to questions, and I made a big deal about delta copying, as flash media continues to take over as the storage medium of choice vs magnetic. So it's about time.

Edit: the author contacted me with a few updates, which have been posted. I was still using the batch sequence for Bvckup 1.

Specular

#23 Post by Specular »

I knew I'd seen that name and site before - found it submitted to Hacker News 6 months ago. You can read the author's comment as the first post, and someone linked to the dribbble profile of the UI designer.

From the HN search results it also appears the author created Hamachi, a very well received VPN app at the time. I use Image For Windows as my drive backup, but it's image based rather than file based (as I assume Bvckup is). Always thought the UI was very neat though.

Midas

#24 Post by Midas »

I finally managed to upvote Bvckup2 Beta, making it public, since it has been my primary backup solution of late... :oops:

I also edited the database entry to better reflect the program status; I added the following note in the "How to extract" section of the database entry, pointing the sole negative I managed to find in my use of Bvckup2:

@[url]http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=2655[/url], Midas wrote:Be forewarned that in time the "Config" folder is liable to grow to thousands of files, with substantial storage cost.
To better illustrate this -- and keeping in mind I only run 2 backup jobs (granted that each is in the hundreds of Gigabytes order) -- here's a capture of my config folder's properties:

As a suggestion to Vacherin, perhaps moving the delta copy database to sqlite could improve this... it also makes it a royal pain to move Bvckup2 around, since all those minute files take ages to copy if you don't archive the whole thing first.

vacherin

#25 Post by vacherin »

Midas wrote:As a suggestion to Vacherin, perhaps moving the delta copy database to sqlite could improve this... it also makes it a royal pain to move Bvckup2 around, since all those minute files take ages to copy if you don't archive the whole thing first.
Aye, I hear you. Not sqlite though, but something like berkleydb, leveldb or other key-value storage.

Midas

#26 Post by Midas »

vacherin wrote:Aye, I hear you. Not sqlite though, but something like berkleydb, leveldb or other key-value storage.

Excuse my cluelessness -- I mentioned sqlite because it is quite popular with other freeware devs. :oops:

Care to elaborate a bit on the other options?

And thanks for chiming in -- if every dev was as attentive, our computing would be ten years ahead. :cool:

vacherin

#27 Post by vacherin »

SQLite is a storage that supports SQL. It has more functionality to it than Bvckup needs. It doesn't matter much if you don't care about the executable size, but I do, so it's not the right option and the other two are a better fit.

Midas

#28 Post by Midas »

Oh, I see. And agree, too -- size matters. :)

webfork

#29 Post by webfork »

Program update:

The main website isn't totally clear on versions but Softpedia is listing it as release 73:
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Bac ... ckup.shtml

vacherin

#30 Post by vacherin »

(Fixed the version on the homepage, thanks)