Project Invincible

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
I am Baas

Re: Project Invincible

#46 Post by I am Baas »

SYSTEM wrote:
I am Baas wrote:Check alexa.com for traffic information... desperate for backlinks?
Well, I think a review is worth a backlink. :|
A "paid for review" (that's essentially what you are doing here) almost always produces "fake" positivity... SYSTEM, you deserve better than that. I noticed a discussion at http://www.open-aurec.com/wbforum/viewt ... =4&t=52680, you got some great comments / feedback there, maybe you should pose the same question there too?

SYSTEM

#47 Post by SYSTEM »

I am Baas wrote:
SYSTEM wrote:
I am Baas wrote:Check alexa.com for traffic information... desperate for backlinks?
Well, I think a review is worth a backlink. :|
A "paid for review" (that's essentially what you are doing here) almost always produces "fake" positivity... SYSTEM, you deserve better than that.
OK. I declined their offer.
I am Baas wrote: I noticed a discussion at http://www.open-aurec.com/wbforum/viewt ... =4&t=52680, you got some great comments / feedback there, maybe you should pose the same question there too?
The people at that forum are chess programmers and computer chess enthusiasts. I'm afraid they have significantly less knowledge about freeware/shareware websites than the TPFC community.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

webfork

#48 Post by webfork »

Does this program require a graphics card? My onboard card seemed to run unusually slow, even turning down the reflective surface, the pieces were sort of unresponsive. Also, I couldn't make the board look like the 2nd screenshot in your 1st post. I really dig the visualization of the locations on the board. I've played quite a few chess programs and that's a nice touch.

SYSTEM

#49 Post by SYSTEM »

webfork wrote:Does this program require a graphics card?
No. It uses OpenGL 1.1 for rendering, but Windows has built-in support for it. (There are DirectX wrappers for OpenGL 1.1, and in case Windows doesn't have drivers for your graphics card, Windows falls back to software rendering.)
webfork wrote: My onboard card seemed to run unusually slow, even turning down the reflective surface, the pieces were sort of unresponsive.
First, reflections can't currently be disabled. Dragging the slider all the way left just makes the board texture opaque, hiding reflections.

I believe the most likely reason for unresponsiveness is giving too many threads for the AI. Try setting the number of AI threads to one. (BTW, Project Invincible 2.1 will automatically detect how many cores your processor has and use that many threads. :) )

Project Invincible has approximately 50 000 polygons (counting reflections), but even debug builds (which are around ten times slower) run smoothly on my weaker graphics chip (AMD Radeon HD 6480G). One reason for unresponsiveness could be having no graphics drivers at all, in which case Windows will render graphics in software.

IIRC, you're using a virtual machine. Try installing guest additions if you haven't done so yet. (Guest additions often include a graphics driver.)

Tell me if these things don't help. I could create a special build with blending and reflections disabled and with a smaller board texture. If such a build runs smoothly enough, I'll add options to disable these features. (I don't want any players to suffer with unresponsive graphics.)

Finally, if all else fails, I can add an option to disable animations.
webfork wrote: Also, I couldn't make the board look like the 2nd screenshot in your 1st post.
Hold the middle button and drag... :)
webfork wrote: I really dig the visualization of the locations on the board. I've played quite a few chess programs and that's a nice touch.
Thanks. :)

SYSTEM

#50 Post by SYSTEM »

SYSTEM wrote: (BTW, Project Invincible 2.1 will automatically detect how many cores your processor has and use that many threads. :) )
Actually it won't. I backed out the change because it basically broke the game under Ubuntu 12.04. :(

SYSTEM

#51 Post by SYSTEM »

lautrepay wrote: 2) Modify the colors of the pieces.
Done in r435. :)

SYSTEM

#52 Post by SYSTEM »

I tried to refactor the way 3D models are loaded... :mrgreen:
Broken pieces.PNG

webfork

#53 Post by webfork »

SYSTEM wrote:I tried to refactor the way 3D models are loaded...
Oooo .. nifty

I am Baas

#54 Post by I am Baas »

@SYSTEM

Any plans to move the project away from Google Code?

SYSTEM

#55 Post by SYSTEM »

I am Baas wrote:@SYSTEM

Any plans to move the project away from Google Code?
I do have such plans. I created a project in CodePlex almost immediately after hearing about Google Code shutting down. (Nicely Google sent an email to everyone who owns a Google Code project.)

Unfortunately, the Team Foundation Server repository I created in CodePlex rejects my credentials, which means that I can't migrate the code there. I contacted CodePlex support about it, but the reply I got wasn't really useful.

I guess I'll just move the project to SourceForge...

SYSTEM

#56 Post by SYSTEM »

SYSTEM wrote:I guess I'll just move the project to SourceForge...
It's done: http://project-invincible.sourceforge.net/

I am Baas

#57 Post by I am Baas »

SYSTEM wrote:

Thanks, SYSTEM. I quite like the new Webpage. BTW, your "Publisher" details on PortableApps still point to Google Code.

SYSTEM

#58 Post by SYSTEM »

I am Baas wrote:
SYSTEM wrote:

Thanks, SYSTEM. I quite like the new Webpage.
Thanks for the feedback. White text on black background was an obvious choice for me: it's a too rare visual style on the Internet.

I wonder if webmasters are afraid of being different. It's strange because websites are already struggling to stand out from the crowd. You'd think a website that looks different would stand out better.
I am Baas wrote:BTW, your "Publisher" details on PortableApps still point to Google Code.
I have now told about moving the project in their forums as well.