EtherPad Lite for Windows

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
procyon

EtherPad Lite for Windows

#1 Post by procyon »

EtherPad is web based collaborative editor.

From Readme:
Etherpad lite is a really-real time collaborative editor spawned from the Hell fire of Etherpad.
We're reusing the well tested Etherpad easysync library to make it really realtime. Etherpad Lite
is based on node.js ergo is much lighter and more stable than the original Etherpad. Our hope
is that this will encourage more users to use and install a realtime collaborative editor. A smaller, manageable and well
documented codebase makes it easier for developers to improve the code and contribute towards the project.
Website : http://etherpad.org/ (download : etherpad-lite-win.zip)

Launch it with start.bat at the root directory and connect with your browser at http://127.0.0.1:9001

Portable : yes ("Data" saved in the var directory)
Stealth: yes

Version ? the file CHANGELOG.md said 1.0.1

Despite the fact that the port 9001 must be opened, this is a really cool way to collaboratively edit text documents with friends or colleagues.

A quick demo (3,9 Mo , Format : APNG)*

*Just for info: done with LICEcap (4,40 Mo) then size optimized with PngOptimizer

webfork

Re: EtherPad Lite for Windows

#2 Post by webfork »

Not to dismiss the program you're suggesting, but none of the GIF images created by LICEcap converted correctly to APNG using PngOptimizer in my tests. How did you do that?

guinness

#3 Post by guinness »

webfork wrote:Not to dismiss the program you're suggesting, but none of the GIF images created by LICEcap converted correctly to APNG using PngOptimizer in my tests. How did you do that?
If I can get this to work I'll you know too, just about to test it out.

guinness

#4 Post by guinness »

I couldn't get it to work, used bot 32-bit & 64-bit as well as changing the temporary location. Did you use the commandline?

procyon

#5 Post by procyon »

Strange.
Nothing special on my side. I dragged-n-dropped the gif file generated by LICEcap into PngOptimizer and it was done.
Here is my PngOptimizer configuration:

I'm on Win 7 x64 and i use x64 version of PngOptimizer.

webfork

#6 Post by webfork »

No, I hadn't tested the 2.0 version: they have an APNG conversion program that evidently gets around the way that LICEcap arranges GIF files. LICEcap appears to use segmented files, which great (whole frames take up much more space). The program gif2apng couldn't understand them.

Additionally, the file conversion ratio is excellent: I got 60% of the original size with PngOptimizer on the site's Songbird animation.

Fantastic news, procyon.

guinness

#7 Post by guinness »

OK, the issue was I was too impatient with the conversion because there is not visual hint anything is happening, perhaps a progressbar would be useful.

Results: 52 second LICEcap GIF was 544 KB now 383 KB.

guinness

#8 Post by guinness »

IrfanView doesn't like the APNG format, but Opera seems to cope with it quite well, which I suppose is what I want all things considered.

JohnW

#9 Post by JohnW »

Not for me I'm afraid.
I had real difficulty in unzipping the files.
Looks like a complicated Java application to me.
I'm fine with .NET apps but not so happy about Java.

Finally couldn't really understand how LICEcap fits into the program; I guess I'm being obtuse.

procyon

#10 Post by procyon »

Version 1.1 is out
changelog wrote: # v1.1
* Introduced Plugin framework
* Many bugfixes
* Faster page loading
* Various UI polishes
* Saved Revisions
* Read only Real time view
* More API functionality
v1.0.1 = 27,9 Mo ; v1.1 = 87,7 Mo
:shock:

webfork

#11 Post by webfork »

This program seems really exciting, but I just can't think of a use for it. Right now I'm using Google Docs for all my collaborative writing. If I needed something on my local network for a few people to all write something quickly and securely, this would certainly have no equal.
procyon wrote:Version 1.1 is out

procyon

#12 Post by procyon »

webfork wrote:If I needed something on my local network for a few people to all write something quickly and securely, this would certainly have no equal.
I think too.
procyon wrote:Version 1.1 is out
I have some difficulties with this new version. It starts (with start.bat), but some settings are needed and i fail to setup. :(
Anyway, if i find something i will write back here.

Midas

Re: EtherPad

#13 Post by Midas »

Old topic update: on an Etherpad related note, I have found OpenEtherpad online...
Welcome to Etherpad! This pad text is synchronized as you type, so that everyone viewing this page sees the same text. This allows you to collaborate seamlessly on documents!

webfork

#14 Post by webfork »

So this program is still in development and is very encouraging. It supports a lot of formats, doesn't have the problems I'm having with Google services, and just looks good. The Timeslider function is outstanding.

v. 1.6.6 - https://github.com/ether/etherpad-lite/ ... ANGELOG.md

License: Apache 2.0

Softpedia for whatever reason is linking to the webapp:
https://webapps.softpedia.com/app/Etherpad/