Pixie color picker.

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
theboydanny

Pixie color picker.

#1 Post by theboydanny »

Pixie, a colorpick tool, from nattyware.com.
Small (8 Kb) and with no-nonsense options, displays colors in various formats (html, hex etc).
I extracted the setup with Universal Extractor and then checked it with RegShot. No entries, yay.
DependencyWalker lists GDIPLUS.DLL, but I'm not that good (yet) in interpreting DW's output... But then it would still be portable (right?).

From the helpfile:
Registration
To register your copy of Pixie you should pay for it. Some flowers for your beloved or even a sincere smile should be enough. In other words: there is no any registration requires at all - Pixie is free. Use it whatever you like and, of course, if you really feel Pixie is worth for something then donations are welcome.

You can find it here.: http://www.nattyware.com/pixie.html

Have a nice day.

grannyGeek

#2 Post by grannyGeek »

I dug up this old post because I was surprised not to see Pixie color picker in the database already. It's one of my favorites, I've used it for years, even before getting turned on to portable apps.

One feature I find indispensable is that you can take a little 10-pixel square magnified snapshot that is so useful for homing in on one special pixel. Lots of keyboard shortcuts for other useful features as well.

As theboydanny notes, use Universal Extract to avoid registry writes from the (un-necessary) installer.

As I understand it, GDIplus.dll is standard to XP installations, and would probably need to be added to the app folder if you are on another Windows version. Can anyone confirm that?

anyway, I hope you'll re-consider adding this to the collection, it is so tiny and so useful.

freakazoid

Re: Pixie color picker.

#3 Post by freakazoid »

This is long overdue.

I've created an entry for Pixie.

Vote it up so it's included publicly on TPFC:
http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1558
is it stealth? ;)

alanbcohen

Re: Pixie color picker.

#4 Post by alanbcohen »

Pixie also runs fine in wine on PCLOS (and presumably your linux distro), but I was expecting it to display a color wheel or other image to select colors. Pixie only will pick colors from other parts of the screen. That isn't a bug, just worthwhile information for deciding what else you might need.