Ethervane Echo

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
I am Baas

Ethervane Echo

#1 Post by I am Baas »

Ethervane Echo is a clipboard extender for Microsoft Windows operating systems. It automatically captures any piece of text copied to clipboard from any Windows application, stores it in its database and lets you retrieve it easily whenever you need it. With Ethervane Echo, you have a permanent clipboard with unlimited items and instant search.
http://www.tranglos.com/free-apps/echo/

More Screenshots

Dl @ http://www.tranglos.com/download/echoportable.zip

Settings:: Application folder
Version Tested:: V1.1.0 build 117
Tested:: Portable

guinness

Re: Ethervane Echo

#2 Post by guinness »

Nice find.

On a lighter note...
Evading copyleft theft are we by adding double colons (::)? :mrgreen:

I am Baas

#3 Post by I am Baas »

guinness wrote:Evading copyleft theft are we by adding double colons (::)? :mrgreen:
Was just testing you. Oviously, you were/are paying attention. Please do not report me to SOPA/PIPA/ACTA/ :cry:

guinness

#4 Post by guinness »

Please do not report me to SOPA/PIPA/ACTA/
Of course I wouldn't! :mrgreen:

I'm hoping people will follow this scheme from now on.

JohnW

#5 Post by JohnW »

This does indeed seem a useful app. So thanks Baas!
There are two other apps on the site ...
Stopwatch and Active Hotkeys.
It is clearly stated that there are no Registry writes by these but as default they write their configurations under the 'user' folder.
Howver, I believe that there is a command-line switch /localconfig which forces the config to be written to the app's folder.

I am Baas

#6 Post by I am Baas »

JohnW wrote:There are two other apps on the site ...
Stopwatch and Active Hotkeys.
ActiveHotkeys is in TPFC. You are correct re. command switch.

tranglos

#7 Post by tranglos »

Hi, author of Echo here.

The three apps: Echo, ActiveHotkeys and StopWatch all support both standard (desktop) and portable execution. The easiest way to choose is to download the installer or the portable package - no command-line parameters or configuration changes needed.

However, no matter which version you download, it can run in both modes. There are three ways to make them run as portable:

a) Use the /portable (or -portable) parameter on the command line

b) open the 'master.config' file (same folder as executable) in a text editor and change the line

Code: Select all

portable=0
to

Code: Select all

portable=1
This latter method makes the change permanent.

c) Each app will run as portable automatically if it detects that it's running from a removable drive (a pendrive, etc.)

(The same applies to another app of mine, Ethervane Radio, which I see got a mention here too, thanks! I am not distributing it yet on my website because it isn't quite ready yet; it was only released on donationcoder.com as a very early beta, as I was trying to make the end-of-the-year deadline. The principle is the same though.)

One other thing: if you use the installer, it will write an entry to the registry, as InnoSetup installers always do, so that it can find the necessary files when you uninstall it and update the correct files when you install a newer version. The applications themselves do not write to the registry at all.

I am Baas

#8 Post by I am Baas »

@tranglos
It's always appreciated when a developer stops by to talk about the application. Thank you.

I am Baas

#9 Post by I am Baas »

Echo 1.1.1 build 122 available (2012-02-21):
ADDED: Keyboard shortcut to toggle the option to keep Echo always on top of other windows: Ctrl+Y.

ADDED: Global hotkey to connect/disconnect from clipboard. By default this hotkey is disabled. The default hotkey is Shift+Win+] and it can be changed in Preferences -> Keyboard ->ConnectHotkeyKey and ConnectHotkeyModifier. To enable the hotkey, set UseConnectHotkey to True.

ADDED: An option to control what happens after Echo hides itself and pastes a clip into the active window: Preferences -> Pasting ...
A complete changelog @ http://www.tranglos.com/111/

Dl @ http://www.tranglos.com/dl/echoportable.zip

Midas

#10 Post by Midas »

Echo v1.1.3 released, dated 2012-05-09 (changelog at http://www.tranglos.com/category/echo-history/).
Last edited by Midas on Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

webfork

#11 Post by webfork »

Still testing this based on a recent recommendation in another thread, but I have to say I so far love the very complete Help file. I don't often see this in Freeware.

Something that should have been a bit more up front: Win+Insert is the key to get the main window to come up.

Open source note: the author has already made the point that he cannot make this open due to "3rd party components," which would have been a big draw for me since Ditto has had some issues on my Win7x64 machine.