TeamViewer

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
guinness

Re: TeamViewer

#31 Post by guinness »

Yeh my settings are the same. How about http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/ ... r_portable this is the V4.x branch, but seriously no Registry Keys were created in XP, perhaps its a 64Bit problem we have?!

joby_toss

#32 Post by joby_toss »

This one has similar results (except much more security related stuff is left behind).
The only thing it backs up is the license key in "\Data\settings\".

I'm almost sure it is a 64bit issue!
And all this stuff is not enough to make me stop using the app. It is a good product!

guinness

#33 Post by guinness »

I read a little bit Wow6432Node >> http://www.windowsitpro.com/article/joh ... bkey-.aspx
A. The Wow6432 registry entry indicates that you're running a 64-bit version of Windows. The OS uses this key to present a separate view of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE for 32-bit applications that run on a 64-bit version of Windows. When a 32-bit application queries a value under the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\<company>\<product> subkey, the application reads from the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\<company>\<product> subkey. The figure below shows the structure under Wow6432Node that 32-bit applications will see. A "registry reflector" copies certain values between the 32-bit and 64-bit registry views (e.g., mainly for COM registration) and resolves any conflicts using a last-writer-wins approach.
I think its worth being in the database because the Official Version doesn't save any settings outside of the Application and that Registry Entry is only affecting 64Bit OS's! Opera is in the database ;)

joby_toss

#34 Post by joby_toss »

It should be, but stealth?

guinness

#35 Post by guinness »

It should be, but stealth?
Edited the Stealth[?] entry to show that it creates a single registry entry on 64bit, but didn't mention the empty folder because I couldn't replicate this in my tests. It's a lot more stealth than it used to be http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... 5106#p5106

Ruby

#36 Post by Ruby »

On Vista, any program (without admin rights) that tries to write to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE gets written to the 'VirtualStore'.

Code: Select all

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\VirtualStore\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\TeamViewer\Version4]
TeamViewer writes one empty key with Version* as it's name.

guinness

#37 Post by guinness »

I would still consider it Portable because of how resourceful this application is. Screen Sharing, VPN Tunneling, File Transferring, Recording Sessions, Voice over IP and much more. If it was a simple application I would say NO, but this is useful for that single admin guy in every family :)

Again, lets hope the TeamViewer devs are watching this forum, I know they're active on PortableApps.com.

Ruby

#38 Post by Ruby »

I agree.

joby_toss

#39 Post by joby_toss »

JT posted this in comments section:
If you change Options they are saved to the registry not the ini file. This program is not fully portable.
If I use the portable version I can't get the options saved, no matter how I change them. Not in the registry, not in a file. Anyone else?

And I strongly believe it should be embraced as portable because it works very well without changing any setting!

guinness

#40 Post by guinness »

Anyone else?
In my version I have TeamViewer.exe / Teamviewer_Resource_en.dll / TV.dll / TeamViewer.ini / autorun.ini

If I create a static password and change the display name or any other setting and then close/reopen nothing is saved. I took several snapshots of before and after and the only file/regkeys being edit was HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Cryptography\RNG\Seed.

BUT

If you edit TeamViewer.ini >> [Settings] >> nosave=1 to 0 then alot of files/regkeys are added. So don't touch the INI.

I think it's suffice to say 3 of us have tested it extensively, I even created a session with another TeamViewerPortable and the conclusion nothing was saved on XP SP3 32Bit! Obviously 1 RegKey on Vista and 64Bit, still only 1. So if you do post in the comments could you give us an example of where it saves too, fiiles/regkeys. And if a program is bad give an example, don't complain without a reason please.

Mark Zackie

#41 Post by Mark Zackie »

joby_toss wrote:If I use the portable version I can't get the options saved, no matter how I change them. Not in the registry, not in a file. Anyone else?
You can save/import settings in this way:
  • File App\teamviewer\TeamViewer.ini: change the "importsettings=0" to "importsettings=1";
  • Open TeamViewerPortable and make all the settings you need by Extras/Options menu;
  • Before confirm by OK button, go to Advanced/Show advanced settings and export all the settings with the last button in the list ("Export settings for TeamViewer Portable"). The new settings file must be saved into App\teamviewer and named tv.ini;
  • Close and reopen TeamViewer, all the settings should be imported. 8)
This works well for me.

I am Baas

#42 Post by I am Baas »

TeamViewer10_Logfile.log in \AppData\Roaming\TeamViewer

webfork

#43 Post by webfork »

Just a note that the entry has been updated to reflect a LOT of new features that I was not aware of.

shnbwmn

#44 Post by shnbwmn »

Interesting find on SnapFiles: TeamViewer QuickSupport.

Some more cool stuff on the Teamviewer download page: QuickJoin and Host. Host is much less intrusive than full-on installed Teamviewer, so now I might actually use it for remote access on my home computer.

I am Baas

#45 Post by I am Baas »

shnbwmn wrote: Some more cool stuff on the Teamviewer download page: QuickJoin and Host.
Not cool at all.

False advertising, it does require admin rights. Also, it auto-downloads TV files to \AppData\Local\Temp\TeamViewer and launches a pop-up ad upon exiting the application:
2016-05-04_084331.jpg