Desktop Slider

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Midas

Re: Desktop Slider

#16 Post by Midas »

IMHO, an option to constrain the virtual desktop to an arbitrary screen resolution -- 1600x1200, for instance, allowing applications to maximize to that dimension instead of the viewport -- would make it an even more useful interface enhancement...

webfork

#17 Post by webfork »

Restested on an other machine,‭ ‬also XP SP3‭ ‬-‭ ‬not sure what the initial problem was but it worked fine.‭ ‬I did notice on a two‭ ‬-monior setup that there was a little refresh when moving windows,‭ ‬but otherwise it worked flawlessly.‭ ‬Not sure what was up with the other machine.‭

Window refresh does seem a‭ ‬little‭ ‬blocky for vertical rather than the default horizontal scan.‭ ‬This may have been my several-years-old Intel onboard graphics card.

Revised wishlist:
  • I think I touched on this before, but I‭’‬d like to see an overview‭ (‬or zoom out‭) ‬feature of some kind. Right now, if you can‭’‬t find a particular window you don‭’‬t have just two options:
    • Return all windows to the main one
    • Keep looking
In any case, it's still a great program and there's nothing quite like it. Glad to have it here on the site.

Midas

Re: Infinite Screen & NBWinScroll

#18 Post by Midas »

[Old thread update] For the proverbial record, two other similar freewares (portability untested!):

webfork

Re: Infinite Screen & NBWinScroll

#19 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote:Infinite Screen, NBWinScroll
Thanks -- both are very cool. NBWinScroll seems better suited for it's stated objective: to make it possible for the Netbook crowd to work with larger, vertical windows. In any case, I never thought that the infinite screen thing would be useful for working with programs where the developers assumed everyone has a 1600x1200 monitor like they do.

Wishlist:
  • A screen preview system so you can essentially "zoom out" and see where everything is located and jump to a different area quickly. I can't see this really boosting my productivity without it. Anyway, maybe I'll put a feature bounty on it or something.

NickR

#20 Post by NickR »

Website has gone :(

I have the v1.03 zip from Jan 2012

Midas

#21 Post by Midas »

NickR wrote:I have the v1.03 zip from Jan 2012

smaragdus

#22 Post by smaragdus »

Desktop Slider version 1.03 can be downloaded from:

Softpedia
Internet Archive

All saved website versions at the Internet Archive.