Windows Layout Manager

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
HappySpore

Windows Layout Manager

#1 Post by HappySpore »

Windows Layout Manager by Stepfan Didak is a really handy tool for helping to layout your screen.

While tool like like AquaSnap and Windows 10's Aero feature allow you to snap to corners, WindowsLayoutManager gives you more power over the size of windows. You can specify the actual dimensions and locations for particular types of programs.

It's free, portable, doesn't write anywhere (I think), has no malware and very useful.

Granted it's a bit barebones, but once you play around with it a bit, you get to realize its power and utility.

Check it out.

I searched the forum and site and haven't seen it listed yet.

http://www.stefandidak.com/windows-layout-manager/ [Mod note: link corrected]

Specular

Re: WindowsLayoutManager

#2 Post by Specular »

While trying TaskLayout I came across Windows Layout Manger and it seemed good. Only drawback comparatively was from what I could tell is it's tailored for resizing windows already open rather than being able to itself launch windows based on pre-saved sesssions (which I was looking for).

Seemed portable when I used it. Would be a nice option for those looking to automate layouts for windows opened in the natural course of things.

webfork

Re: Windows Layout Manager

#3 Post by webfork »

HappySpore wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:36 am Windows Layout Manager
http://www.stefandidak.com/windows-layout-manager/
Very nice piece of desktop automation. I had to cycle through some of the images to get an idea of what it might do, but I can definitely see some uses for getting specific windows to place in a location, minimize, or many other functions:

The program hasn't been updated since 2010 so I'm assuming it doesn't work with Windows 10.

Softpedia page: https://www.softpedia.com/get/Desktop-E ... ager.shtml

HappySpore

#4 Post by HappySpore »

Thanks for the replies guys.

Specular: TaskLayout looks similar. I downloaded it, is most functionality preserved after the trial period? You're right that WindowsLayoutManager is only interested in Laying out the windows and can't start programs.

Webfork: It works fine on Windows 10 surprisingly. I guess the underlying Windows architecture hasn't changed as much as the look and feel of Windows OS has changed. It isn't being updated and doesn't appear to be opensource though. The one bug I've come across is that it doesn't work well when the Windows Task Manager is open.

For its small size, no cost, minimal resource use and utility it isn't bad.

Specular

#5 Post by Specular »

HappySpore wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:21 amSpecular: TaskLayout looks similar. I downloaded it, is most functionality preserved after the trial period?
Should have clarified sorry, the version I use (0.6.0.2) isn't trialware as version 0.7.0.0 onward is, discussed a bit in the topic I linked. webfork from that same topic linked a mirror of one of the prior versions, which appears to still be available.