Gnumeric - the Gnome Office spreadsheet

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
joby_toss

Re: Gnumeric - the Gnome Office spreadsheet

#16 Post by joby_toss »

Just out of curiosity, how big is your Gnumeric Portable folder?
Mine is 53,156,388 bytes.
I suspect you might be missing some files.
Here is the dll dependency for gnumeric.exe:

AdrianK_IT

#17 Post by AdrianK_IT »

My gnumeric folder reports itself as being 53,153,797 bytes (596 files, 248 folders), so it looks complete.

What app are you using to report the dependencies etc? It's not familiar to me.

Thanks for sticking with me on this; it'd be good to solve the issue!

AdrianK_IT

#18 Post by AdrianK_IT »

Update: to troubleshoot, I tried installing portable gnumeric to a folder (G:\gnumeric\) on a hard drive, instead of on a USB stick. It launches normally!

Will investigate further what might be the problem. Possibly a paths issue; I've had similar random bizarre path-related problems before. The path on my USB stick is N:\apps\7.admin\Gnumeric#\.

Edit: It's the '#' appended to the folder name; it works OK if I remove it. Why might that be? (I use that as a marker in a PHP script to automatically selectively backup some of the apps on my stick).

joby_toss

#19 Post by joby_toss »

AdrianK_IT wrote:What app are you using to report the dependencies etc? It's not familiar to me.
I'm using the FileInfo Lister plugin, but integrated in FreeCommander XE.

No idea why the issue exists, but at least you found a workaround.

Midas

#20 Post by Midas »

AdrianK_IT wrote:Edit: It's the '#' appended to the folder name; it works OK if I remove it. Why might that be? (I use that as a marker in a PHP script to automatically selectively backup some of the apps on my stick).
  • IMHO, that might be caused by the multi-platform nature of Gnumeric -- a result of the different file-system level requirements, encodings and reserved characters it needs to accommodate...

JohnTHaller

#21 Post by JohnTHaller »

Midas wrote:
AdrianK_IT wrote:Edit: It's the '#' appended to the folder name; it works OK if I remove it. Why might that be? (I use that as a marker in a PHP script to automatically selectively backup some of the apps on my stick).
  • IMHO, that might be caused by the multi-platform nature of Gnumeric -- a result of the different file-system level requirements, encodings and reserved characters it needs to accommodate...
This is correct. Installing the local version of Gnumeric to a path with a # in it causes the same result. Generally, I've found apps to have issues with certain special characters like #, $, and !. Usually, apps are only installed to C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86) and then the app's default name since most folks never change the default path so app authors never encounter the bug, nor do most users. I think I may start compiling a list of these issues and build custom checks into the portable apps affected by them as well as reporting them upstream (though publishers may not be interested in working around the issue).
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

rbon

Re: X-Gnumeric 1.12.17 rev. 10

#22 Post by rbon »

Danix wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:54 am X-Gnumeric 1.76 build 1
[Office Spreadsheet]
The Gnumeric spreadsheet is a versatile application developed as part of the GNOME Office project. Gnumeric is intended to be a drop replacement for a proprietary spreadsheets (Microsoft Excel).
Download: http://www.winpenpack.com/main/download.php?view.536

Required space: 18,2 MB (english version)
X-Gnumeric 1.12.17 released October 22, 2014:
• winPenPck download page http://www.winpenpack.com/main/download.php?view.536
• Sourceforge.net / X-Gnumeric: https://sourceforge.net/projects/winpen ... -Gnumeric/

Required space 66 MB for english/italian version

Unfortunately this build start with menu bar in english, instead of italian. For this reason I have recently post a note that fix this.
• X-Gnumeric post: http://www.winpenpack.com/main/e107_plu ... ?9934.last
• X-Gnumeric.ini (its launcher) correct version with fix language bug: http://www.winpenpack.com/main/e107_fil ... ic_ini.zip
-> this X-Gnumeric.ini is rev. 11.
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning." - Rick Cook.

rbon

#23 Post by rbon »

joby_toss wrote: Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:32 am It seems that there is a problem with the interface language.
PortableApps wrote:Language Switching: Gnumeric will appear in the language of the PortableApps.com Platform. If run on its own, it will use the language of the operating system. If you would like to manually change it, open the file GnumericPortable\Data\settings\GnumericPortableSettings.ini and add a line Language=de (for German) Language=fr (for French) or similar.
I have post a solution for Gnumeric Portable by PortableApps: see post https://portableapps.com/node/63441

In short for Italian language You must change the file 'GnumericPortableSettings.ini' so:

Code: Select all

[GnumericPortableSettings]
LastDrive=C:
LastDirectory=\PortableApps\GnumericPortable
Language=it
[PortableApps.comLauncherLastRunEnvironment]
PAL:LastPortableAppsBaseDir=C:
If You have another language, for example, German You must change the file 'GnumericPortableSettings.ini' so:
1. see if Your language is supported by Gnumeric. So go to 'C:\PortableApps\GnumericPortable\App\Gnumeric\share\locale' and browse available languages,
2. if Your language is supported, for german language You must change:
• in section [GnumericPortableSettings] write: Language=de

in this example You must change the file 'GnumericPortableSettings.ini' so:

Code: Select all

[GnumericPortableSettings]
LastDrive=C:
LastDirectory=\PortableApps\GnumericPortable
Language=de
[PortableApps.comLauncherLastRunEnvironment]
PAL:LastPortableAppsBaseDir=C:
B.T.W.
Gnumeric uses ISO 3166 country codes https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_I ... ntry_codes (ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 – two-letter country)
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning." - Rick Cook.