Scion PC (genealogy)

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
JohnW

Scion PC (genealogy)

#1 Post by JohnW »

The recent post by jcd925ec of Visual Family Tree Maker seemed to engender a reasonable amount of interest.
I had a look at the link that Baas gave (in answer to webfork) and saw that the review found a lot of problems.
Not uncommon with genealogical programs so I thought I'd provide an alternative.

ScionPC is a comprehensive Genealogical Management System.

It is stated to be portable and implicitly stealth. I'm sure a PFC regular will confirm or deny!

The Home Site provides very detailed information about the program.
Essentially data is first entered on a Personal Details Page

It is then put into context on the Family Details Page

Well worth a look on ...
https://homepages.paradise.net.nz/scionpc/features.html

shnbwmn

Re: Scion PC (genealogy)

#2 Post by shnbwmn »

Tested: Portable & stealth

Saves settings to ScionPC.INI in program directory.

JohnW

#3 Post by JohnW »

]Thank you shnbwmn - appreciate that.

smaragdus

#4 Post by smaragdus »

@JohnW
A very nice find, thank you, in my opinion ScionPC deserves to be added to the database.

smaragdus

Re: ScionPC 8.3

#5 Post by smaragdus »

stevenmonrad

#6 Post by stevenmonrad »

Have been using this program without problem for about one year. It is an excellent clean database program with all conceivable functions with gedcom import and export. We imported an 18 generation 5,000+ record gedcom file and work with it easily. It was written by Robbie Akins in New Zealand, email, ScionPC Support <scionpc [at] clear [period] net [dot] nz>
We have not found a user group or forum but he is responsive.The program is free of problems and fairly easy to understand. We really haven't had any questions.

stevenmonrad

#7 Post by stevenmonrad »

We've only found one difficulty with Scion PC, which is not a problem if you are aware of the setting.
Default is to convert surnames to UPPERCASE, not a good idea. Can be unchecked at import.

Otherwise, like most, if not all genealogy software, many citations, sources are stripped upon GEDCOM import.
But it does report what it took out.