Ad Muncher?

Discuss anything related to portable commercial apps here.
steven0451

Ad Muncher?

#1 Post by steven0451 »

Would anyone here have any idea of how to make Ad Muncher portable?

Sorry if I seem a little dim on the subject, I'm fairly new to the portable scene and just registered on this forum a couple of days ago, any help would be appreciated. :)

Edit: Just saw the update on the Ad Muncher forum, I guess I'll use AdBlock with Portable Firefox. :oops:
Last edited by steven0451 on Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alexander

#2 Post by Alexander »

Guys on AdMuncher forum are very serious about portability. They say it's a license agreement violation.

pmccollum

admuncher rules

#3 Post by pmccollum »

about a week ago i picked up a 'portable version' of admuncher from a less than reputable site. i have a soft spot for anything written in assembly.
Works well enough portable but it hits the drive on about every request. i think it's checking it's database file or something. great program, but it's not going on my thumb drive so pretty much going in the bitbucket for me too. can you tell me anything about your alternative and how they compare?

steven0451

#4 Post by steven0451 »

AdBlock is my alternative, it's a very well-known Firefox extension freely available...and it will readily install on your Portable Firefox if you use that.

As for the comparison, it blocks ads but does nothing advanced (like blocking the ad-spaces/containers left behind). It's ok, however malformed pages and squashed tables, to me, are as annoying to look at as the actual adverts are. :?

Checker

#5 Post by Checker »

I'm using "Adblock Plus", "Layerblock" and "Remove It Permanently" with Firefox Portable.
Works fine for me.

steven0451

#6 Post by steven0451 »

I just took a look at Remove It Permanently and Layerblock.
RIP seems to be really good for removing stuff that Ad Block Plus doesn't get. 8)

But can you direct me to a site where Layerblock might be effective? I would like to see how it performs. :?:

SmackEwe

draconia be damned

#7 Post by SmackEwe »

those seeking an AdBlock Plus alternative will very likely be pleased with Karma Blocker:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/5230
http://trac.arantius.com/wiki/Extensions/KarmaBlocker

here are the Karma blocks for previewing this post before submitting:

in every firefox profile I also run: RequestPolicy, NoScript (ABE), RefControl (default: forge), CookieCuller, Better Privacy
steven0451 wrote:layerblock ... Remove It Permanently
layerblock sounds interesting but with a dozen word german vocabulary and leery of relying on free, inline url translation I shall wait until it is available in firefox 3.5+.

If you're an active-, avid fan of RIP please toss ideas at Yet Another Remove It Permanently:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7211

Others who like page tweaking should also consider: CoScripter, GreaseMonkey (and userscripts.org), Stylish (and userstyles.org), and Platypus
steven0451 wrote:RIP seems to be really good for removing stuff that Ad Block Plus doesn't get.
The former operates on XPath whereas the latter does not but does use CSS selectors and elements for hiding. Both sadly (foolishly) require the page to render before 'removing' content.

Both benefit from proficiency with one or more of DOM Inspector and FireBug. The former no longer requires hackery to install.

Alexander wrote:Guys on AdMuncher forum are very serious about portability. They say it's a license agreement violation.
How does their license stand against sandboxes and virtualization on one's local machine?

Or surfing the interweb on machine_A via RDP/VNC/SSH2 tunnel, a thinclient in effect, with machine_B running AdMuncher in a virtual machine. Assume both machines are in same VLAN.

Napiophelios

Re: Ad Muncher?

#8 Post by Napiophelios »

You can also try out the JauntePE Launcher
I made it a long time ago but still works with updated versions. :D

donald

#9 Post by donald »

Where is it best to download the not portable AdMuncher.
I would like to try out Napiophelios' wrapper.

I know I could download from the developers, but I do not know if that will work, because of the need to buy a license.

I just want to know if there is a freeware version still available somewhere?

Or has this always been payware?
Never mind it has always been payware.
I would not consider this unless they decide to issue portable licenses.
But I would not want to pay an excessive amount for something like this unless ads get worse.

An alternative is PeerBlock, it has an ad blocking function, and when combined with other ad blocking programs (on host), and spyware blockers (on host), as well as browser addons like AdBlockPlus well why should I even leave what already works very well.

Napiophelios

#10 Post by Napiophelios »

:roll: I hear AdMuncher is free if you have a Polish ISP address. :?

joby_toss

#11 Post by joby_toss »

Ad Muncher Now Completely Free for Everyone

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Ad-Munch ... 8440.shtml