PLEASE HELP! PORTABLE ALDUS PHOTOSTYLER NOT WORKING IN WIN7

Discuss anything related to portable commercial apps here.
CoolnessCat

PLEASE HELP! PORTABLE ALDUS PHOTOSTYLER NOT WORKING IN WIN7

#1 Post by CoolnessCat »

I am using a older program which I thought to be abandon ware called Aldus Photostyler 2.0 I need a portable version running on Windows7
I am DEPENDENT on it and I NEED IT RUNNING ON Win7. I have the program that runs on WinXP and a portable that seems to run on Vista I would pay if someone can help with a portable version to run on Win7!
Please email me at coolnesscat (at) hotmail (dot) com
Thanks

Hydaral

Re: PLEASE HELP! PORTABLE ALDUS PHOTOSTYLER NOT WORKING IN WIN7

#2 Post by Hydaral »

That app is at least 16 years old, I'm actually surprised that it runs on WinXP.

Does it run on Win7 if it has been properly installed? If not, then it will not work portably either.

If you are dependent on Photostyler then I would seriously think about dedicating some time to convert your old files to a format that can be read in the current crop of editors.

If you are a cheapskate like me, then try one of the freeware ones:

http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?sc=2

CoolnessCat

Re: PLEASE HELP! PORTABLE ALDUS PHOTOSTYLER NOT WORKING IN WIN7

#3 Post by CoolnessCat »

Well I need it to do some editing, can anyone help me get a running copy for win 7 Please? It will not run on win 7 even if it installs. Please Help!

Yaron AC

Re: PLEASE HELP! PORTABLE ALDUS PHOTOSTYLER NOT WORKING IN W

#4 Post by Yaron AC »

Hello

I know this post is 2 years old... but still... did u solve this? and if so, how? please share.
BTW, do you have the FULL version or the SE? I'm willing to pay for the full one. I've looked everywhere for it - Nada.
a few years back I bought a copy from some chick in the US who said it was a full version but sent me the SE cd I already had!
Anyway, I've used PS for many years, one of the sweetest things, I guess. When I had to switch to win7, it all ended.

I heard that installing virtual XP on your system can solve this. I didn't try it myself since my system is configured in a special way for
the apps I use for my work and some "system-apps" are not allowed...

You can also get hold of some old and cheap PC and dedicate it to all the old apps. (that's what I did)

Well, if u have a better solution, PLZ tell me.

Regards
Yaron

webfork

Re: Dealing with old abandonware

#5 Post by webfork »

Portable Aldus Photostyler
I don't think there's any such thing that's remotely legal, so I'm going to pretend you asked the question: "how do I make my old abandonware work on my Windows 7 machine?"
Yaron AC wrote:I heard that installing virtual XP on your system can solve this.
Some versions of Windows 7 will indeed let you freely install a Windows XP mode, which is a virtulaized Windows. However, I strongly recommend VMware in combination with an old copy of Windows that abandonware program was designed for. Windows 2000 is ideal, but Windows 98SE is probably what you'll end up using for anything made back in the late 90s.

Running a virtualized version of any operating system generally takes a bit more RAM and processor time so be prepared for your system to slow down a bit or potentially upgrade your RAM.