WinX DVD Ripper Platinum Portable (custom launcher)

Discuss anything related to portable commercial apps here.
3K3

WinX DVD Ripper Platinum Portable (custom launcher)

#1 Post by 3K3 »

Hello everyone at TPFC. This is my first post here. I hope you’ll like it.

I’m sharing my launcher for WinX DVD Ripper Platinum (WDRP) and a guide how to make portable package.

What is, can do,… (from WDRP homepage)
WinX DVD Ripper Platinum is a Windows-based DVD ripper software capable of ripping both DVD disc and DVD ISO image to mainstream videos, such as rip DVD to AVI, DVD to MP4, H.264, MPEG, WMV, MOV, FLV, 3GP, etc. It can also help users faultlessly convert DVD (including encrypted DVD) to iPhone/4S, iPad/3, iPod, Apple TV, Android, HTC, Samsung, XOOM, Galaxy Tab, PSP, etc. This DVD ripper brings you No.1 fast DVD ripping solution in the market thanks to the cutting-edge technology to support Multi-core CPU (maximally 8-core processor) and Hyper-threading.
Moreover, the latest version is built in 3 innovative DVD copy modes to meet users' up-to-date DVD backup demands -clone DVD disc to ISO image; copy DVD title to multi-track MPEG2 file with all videos/audios/subtitles; backup main content of a DVD for playing on PC, PS3, Xbox, Media Center, etc. The latter two Copy modes cost you 5 minutes only!

Homepage:
http://www.winxdvd.com/dvd-ripper-platinum/

About the Launcher
--------------------------
• Makes WDRP truly (fully, stealth) portable
• The launcher holds no reg info: you must have the serial number to register WDRP
• It’s “universal”: it should work not only with current version but with future ones too (if Digiarty doesn’t changes something major in WDRP)

Launcher Download
You can download WDRP Portable launcher from here:

WinX DVD Ripper Platinum Portable (launcher)
http://www.mediafire.com/?sb3hj4gc5ua1pse
MD5 2F8949CC02A8515A819050CCB311CE73 (zip archive)

Guide
• Extract WDRP_Portable_Launcher.zip to location of your choice (USB,...)
• Download WDRP installer. You can:
1. Extract the contents of installer with Universal Extractor
2. Install in VM or on local computer
• Copy/move all files and folders from the main WinX DVD Ripper Platinum directory to App folder in your portable package.
• Enter your serial number in WinX_DVD_Ripper_Platinum.ini file (App folder in your portable package).
[RegInfo]
SN=EnterHereYourSerialNumber
• Run DVDRipperPlatinum.exe in WinX DVD Ripper Platinum Portable folder to start WinX DVD Ripper Platinum Portable.

Updating
When you make updates/upgrades be careful to not delete WinX_DVD_Ripper_Platinum.ini file in WinX DVD Ripper Platinum Portable -> App folder.
WinX_DVD_Ripper_Platinum.ini file stores your registration info. This matters only if you have upgradeable license, though.

Enjoy.
Last edited by 3K3 on Thu May 10, 2012 9:13 am, edited 3 times in total.

tproli

Re: WinX DVD Ripper Platinum Portable (custom launcher)

#2 Post by tproli »

Thanks. I tried it and works fine. This has nothing to do with "Air_Playit_Server", has it? Just out of curiousity, I don't need it.

What I don't like is the splash on close, especially if it is a 200 kb one (this makes the launcher about 4 times bigger in size, right?) Anyway, it is your decision.

I also don't understand why you created a Setup.exe - the user have to unpack the downloaded zip, so the installer is only an unnecessary step imo.

You have put settings file in the main App directory, which is I think a bad move. If a user tries to update it and deletes the content of the App dir first, he will lose the registration data.

mrpink

#3 Post by mrpink »

Tried it and it works.
I'm waiting for that Chrome launcher...

3K3

#4 Post by 3K3 »

tproli wrote:Thanks. I tried it and works fine. This has nothing to do with "Air_Playit_Server", has it? Just out of curiousity, I don't need it.

I also don't understand why you created a Setup.exe - the user have to unpack the downloaded zip, so the installer is only an unnecessary step imo.

You have put settings file in the main App directory, which is I think a bad move. If a user tries to update it and deletes the content of the App dir first, he will lose the registration data.
The launcher deals only with the WDRP part of the streamer edition.

Why Setup.exe?
From my experience most people actually do prefer some kind of installer to place files,... on computer,... even if it's just for the (one) launcher.

FYI, settings file does not store reg infos, "User.bin" file does. I don't see "User.bin" file being in App folder (portable package) as a problem. You see every new version of WDRP requires new serial number to register. But I do admit it could become a problem if user has upgradable license. So I updated the guide covering this issue.
Thanks for your reply.

mrpink wrote:Tried it and it works.
I'm waiting for that Chrome launcher...
Nice to hear that you are interested in my Chrome launcher.
I recently made some major changes in my launcher. So I need to test some things thoroughly before I'm gonna post.

3K3

#5 Post by 3K3 »

I updated the launcher.
- WinX_DVD_Ripper_Platinum.ini file now stores reg info (App folder in portable package)
- Added option to turn off closing splash screen (WinX_DVD_Ripper_Platinum.ini)
The updated launcher can be downloaded from the link in the first post.

Digiarty is currently running Hello Summer! promotion of WinX DVD Ripper Platinum (valid till May 20, 2012).
http://www.winxdvd.com/giveaway/

Napiophelios

#6 Post by Napiophelios »

Is this an NSIS launcher?
Can you include your script for the launcher or is it a secret?
I hate using NSIS launchers without seeing what the script says they are doing
plus it helps me refine my own experiments :)
anyway thanx for the updated wrapper.

guinness

#7 Post by guinness »

Napiophelios,

Do you code in NSIS out of interest?

Napiophelios

#8 Post by Napiophelios »

I dabble but nothing on the level of complexity of Tpr or Jon T Haller (or you and your AutoIT scripts)
I have kinda taken a liking to autoIt scripts here lately just cus there is so much more help out there

Its an awesome feeling tho when one of my little ghetto portables work the way I want it to. :)

webfork

#9 Post by webfork »

Old thread update:

WinX DVD Ripper is available as freeware with a 5 star rating from softpedia.

There remains a commercial "Platinum" version but the possibility exists that some of the launcher tools considered for this program might portablize the freeware one.

I couldn't find a feature comparison to say why the Platinum version is better.

3K3

#10 Post by 3K3 »

webfork wrote:I couldn't find a feature comparison to say why the Platinum version is better.
Comparison table