Evolus Pencil Project

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
I am Baas

Evolus Pencil Project

#1 Post by I am Baas »

Pencil is an opensource tool for making diagrams and GUI prototyping.
http://pencil.evolus.vn/en-US/Home.aspx

Writes to Documents and Settings\User Name\Application Data\Pencil and to Local Settings\Application Data\Pencil\Profiles

webfork

Re: Evolus Pencil 1.2.0

#2 Post by webfork »

Definitely would have made a good addition. Thnx for checking.

tproli

#3 Post by tproli »

That's sad but nothing stops me from JPEing it :)

webfork

#4 Post by webfork »

Update: PortableApps just put out a version:

http://portableapps.com/apps/graphics_p ... t-portable

Works really well. Some of the mockup tools are just fantastic and definitely has some nice Visio-like tools. Will work with Visio fairly well if you export to SVG format.

Functional on Windows XP/Vista/7/8, Wine on Linux/UNIX. Native Mac and Linux clients available, as well as a Firefox plugin.

webfork

Re: Evolus Pencil Project

#5 Post by webfork »

Recently tested this out and actually started to put together some really cool mobile tools. However, the most annoying thing that really stopped me from genuinely digging into the program was a simple copy and paste method (duplicating elements). Almost every user interface depends on a lot of similar little boxes and bits in an organized view so it was difficult to proceed past what is a pretty standard component of any graphical program.

webfork

Re: Evolus Pencil Project

#6 Post by webfork »

I came back to the program recently for some basic mockup work and found it makes a pretty solid basic Visio alternative. You can build some solid flowchart elements, which is great for mockup tools since you're often moving from one visual state to another in sequence.
webfork wrote:... really stopped me from genuinely digging into the program was a simple copy and paste method
The copy paste issue mentioned above is still annoying, but you can do standard copy, paste, and move. The main frustration is that it saves to the exact same space so you can't see the overlap. I guess for a free and open program with a lot of amazing features, I can work around an interface oddity.