StepVoice Recorder / Real-time recording software for MP3

Post details of freeware that are found to be not portable here. Posts in the submissions forum relating to freeware found to be not portable should also be moved here.
dot

StepVoice Recorder / Real-time recording software for MP3

#1 Post by dot »

StepVoice Recorder http://stepvoice.com/index.html

"StepVoice Recorder is real-time recording software with MP3 file format support. It allows recording from any sound source, such as microphone, line in or any sounds currently playing on your PC (internet radio, movie sounds, etc.).

Real-time mp3 encoding saves hard disk space and time, because you don't need to encode recorded sounds later. This feature is critical for longer recordings."

Link to the old freeware version: http://stepvoice.com/download.html

AlephX

#2 Post by AlephX »

well, it seems to be a free trial...
have you tested it?
[EDIT] Ouch! There is the link to the freeware release you say! Sorry

Anyway, you could use MP3DirectCut which does the same, with lame encoder dll...
http://mpesch3.de1.cc/mp3dc.html
and seems to be portable...

Bye
Aleph X

dot

#3 Post by dot »

Nope, not tested, yet. I must admit I'm no multimedia freak. Am just looking around for software I think I might perhaps need in the future (and mostly never do). ;)

AlephX

#4 Post by AlephX »

Ah, well :)
I am interested in sound recording because one of my hobbies is FM Radio DXing and at this time, in Finland a very good Software Author is developing a recording module for RDS Logging (RDSDX 4.xx). Recentely I started to write some utilities for RDSDX and Radio Listening (all portable, of course! :D )

dot

#5 Post by dot »

Recentely I started to write some utilities for RDSDX and Radio Listening (all portable, of course! )
Well, when you've finished them you can then check whether they will stand the severe testing routines here at portablefreeware.com. Else you'll have to go with your programs to the Italian site. :lol:

AlephX

#6 Post by AlephX »

Hi dot!
If you are interested, we can talk about it: write a pm... 8)

I am not sure that my applications can be interesting for all the people. Radio DX is a "strange" hobby :roll: , I have to say... so an application like RDSDX (which is wonderful in my opinion) sounds unuseful for a person who listen to the radio only in the car (and maybe always the same station)... RDSDX (by Arno Vainio, Finland) was made in order to read and to elaborate RDS signals on computer (specially the ones the car stereos don´t show at all). Now RDSDX lists all the FM radiotransmitter of the entire world... in less than 3 Mb :!: . It´s written in C++

But if it can be interesting... I am glad to collaborate. :)

73!
Aleph X

By the way: RDSDX is terribly unportable by itself! Only the utilities I make are portable...

dot

#7 Post by dot »

Thanks AlephX, but, as I said, I'm no multimedia freak! And I mean it! ;) I rarely watch a film and, to be true, never listen to the radio, even outside the computer. No time or even interest for this kind of pastime. Same with games: always consider those a complete waste of time and only very rarely play around, shortly, with a small, harmless game, and I just can NOT understand the passion of all those gaming freaks! I find, life is too precious to waste it endlessly with entertainment. But to each his own. I suppose, I'm not the typical computer user. The nice thing about the computer is that it can cater for all kinds of diverse interests, just like your radio interest.

I might be interested in some recording technique with the computer, but then I don't have the patience and I found it to be too complicated. (I have some recording of my classical guitar playing on a Minidisc and don't know how to put the Sony ATRAC format on the computer; and as it turned out to be too complicated and expensive, I just lost interest). Come to think of it, I'm not even a computer freak! LOL

usdcs

#8 Post by usdcs »

It writes to the registry, at least this much, maybe more...:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\StepVoice Software]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\StepVoice Software\SvRec]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\StepVoice Software\SvRec\File types]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\StepVoice Software\SvRec\File types\MP3]
"Bitrate"=dword:00000030
"Freq"=dword:00005622
"Stereo"=dword:00000000
"AutoFreq"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\StepVoice Software\SvRec\General]
"Always on Top"=dword:00000000
"Easy Move"=dword:00000000
"Xcoord"=dword:000000ff
"Ycoord"=dword:000000dd
"DialogIndex"=dword:00000000
"LastFileName"=""
"LastFilePath"="C:\\"
"Loader"=dword:00000000
"Minimized"=dword:00000000
"AutoRun"=dword:00000000
"Tool Tips"=dword:00000001
"Show icon in tray"=dword:00000001
"Minimize to tray"=dword:00000001
"AutoName template"="%d%b_%H%M"

webfork

Re: StepVoice Recorder / Real-time recording software for MP3

#9 Post by webfork »

Old thread update:

Last release was back in 2016, now open source on Github: https://github.com/AndreyTomsk/StepvoiceRecorder ... doesn't look like portability was addressed so I'll move this over to not portable.

Feature list:
  • Direct MP3 encoding without temporary WAV files.
  • Input monitoring with peak level indicators.
  • Recording from several devices at same time (for example, microphone+speakers). Can be useful for Skype and MagicJack.
  • Silence detection, pauses recording on low sound levels.
  • Automatically adjusts recording volume for best results.