Color Schemes - feature rich vintage schemer

Post details of freeware that are found to be not portable here. Posts in the submissions forum relating to freeware found to be not portable should also be moved here.
TalkOrBell

Color Schemes - feature rich vintage schemer

#1 Post by TalkOrBell »

Hello...

Here we'll be goin' back to June 2001 for aan app called Color Schemes. Despite it's rather commonish name and the fact that a couple OTHERS are named that too I can assure you this is the original.

Very feature rich with a wonderful manual you won't believe it's that old...You can install OR UniExtract as all it needs to run is the EXE...I run this from USB all the time on any machine whether it's got an install or not on that machine matters not.

Now it DOES have a clickbox for load last scheme at startup...So it do have a setting written somewhere as when you take that to another machine it loses that setting. But it never cries out & if the scheme is not available it just goes default with no freaking out...

So you can just use it without ever clicking that box if you are USBing it...Your choice...You are grown-ups now!

So go to the BOTTOM of this page & make sure you grab BOTH the archive and the manual-

https://web.archive.org/web/20010602063 ... /tips.html v1.0

Only issue I see with it is there are some buttons on the lower left that are partially obfuscated but you can still click them all even the up-down arrow (gotta be more precise) see this in the example pics-

It may be to your surprise but I'm just showing PART of what this does...Open the wonderful manual & study....STUDYyyyy!

This does not make palettes...To use this with other programs you just have both open either side-by-side or use deskpins or other to keep Color Schemes on top then 'pick' colors off the Color Schemes GUI into your paint prog...or your palette building prog...

I know...Most probably knew that but wanted to clarify....

billon

Re: Color Schemes 1.0 Feature Rich Vintage Schemer

#2 Post by billon »

Code: Select all

HKCU\Software\Color Schemes

webfork

Re: Color Schemes 1.0 Feature Rich Vintage Schemer

#3 Post by webfork »

It might help to have a sort of use case for a program like this: at varying times in my career, I've had to either generate or develop a color scheme for a presentation or to grab existing colors in a document and add more to give it some more life. There are a number of good tools here on the site and some around the web that will do some of the work for you, but this program helps assemble and sort those colors actively.

There is a manual available on the website that helps clarify what the program is providing.

Thanks billon for checking portability.