WuMgr (Update Manager for Windows)

Post details of freeware that are found to be not portable here. Posts in the submissions forum relating to freeware found to be not portable should also be moved here.
Userfriendly

WuMgr (Update Manager for Windows)

#1 Post by Userfriendly »

I'll just copy paste the developers words from https://forums.mydigitallife.net/thread ... ger.77736/ He actively posts there if you want to follow or participate in the developments. This is basically an open source alternative to Windows Update MiniTool (WUMT).

WuMgr (Update Manager for Windows) by DavidXanatos
Ultimately among all that things that are wrong with windows 10, the forced updates is in the end the biggest issue.
The windows world needs not just a replacement for the retired Win 7/8 update Control Panel, but a tool that would give the users back control over their updates including the ability to automatically install updates by category, for example to delay all feature upgrades i.e. windows re-installation, or choose to only automatically install updates which do not require a reboot, granting the user full control of when his PC will need to reboot.

Given the importance of such a tool to the windows world, a proprietary solution is not satisfying, the longevity and continuation of the tool is of paramount importance.

Hence this tool is licensed under the GNU General Public License version 3 and all sources are public on git-hub: https://github.com/DavidXanatos/wumgr/ anyone is welcome to contribute as long as they follow the rules of the GPL v3 and release their contributions not just in binary form but with full source code.

New features:
  1. Ability to auto download wsusscn2.cab for "offline" search for updates (like when wuauserv is blocked in the firewall)
  2. Ability to "manually" (that is without the use of wuauserv or the windows agent API) download found updates to disk (useful when windows updates access to Microsoft servers is blocked)
  3. Ability to block automatic windows update on pro/home editions of windows 10 by setting the WSUS servers to " " as described in the "Windows Restricted Traffic Limited Functionality Baseline" from M$
  4. hides the windows update page from the settings app when automatic updates are disabled
The plans are:
  1. Install "manually" downloaded updates without using the windows update agent API
  2. To better integrate with means of blocking automatic windows update on windows 10 editions which do not respect the Group Policies.
  3. To provide an optional user friendly automatic update mechanism which (service/background)
    • never forces a reboot !!! (when needed disable wuauserv untill user reboots)
    • only searched for updates when the PC is not in use (optional)
    • allows the user to select what class of updates to install, for example avoid feature upgrades or only install critical security patches, etc
  4. simply put an automatic update mechanism based on consent and not violence, updates are like 6 ;)
  5. more to come...
Here you go: https://github.com/DavidXanatos/wumgr/releases/ build using .NET Framework 4.6.0
wumgr.png

Midas

Re: WuMgr (Update Manager for Windows)

#2 Post by Midas »

Interesting. 8)

I have been using Dism++ to solve (recurring) update problems in my Windows 7 SP1 x64 daily driver but, besides the Chinese opacity of some features and documentation, it doesn't look half as flexible and powerful as WuMgr is promising to be. I'll be keeping an eye on it for sure.

Incidentally, the Windows Update MiniTool forum topic is at viewtopic.php?t=22281 -- and let it be noted that I could never really get the hang of it.

thepiney

Re: WuMgr (Update Manager for Windows)

#3 Post by thepiney »

Midas wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:27 am Interesting. 8)

I have been using Dism++ to solve (recurring) update problems in my Windows 7 SP1 x64 daily driver but, besides the Chinese opacity of some features and documentation, it doesn't look half as flexible and powerful as WuMgr is promising to be. I'll be keeping an eye on it for sure.

Incidentally, the Windows Update MiniTool forum topic is at viewtopic.php?t=22281 -- and let it be noted that I could never really get the hang of it.
I'll be keeping an eye on this as well. I used Portable Update at https://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=2562 for a while and have a ~5GB cache folder. I found it a bit slow (hours to days scanning for updates) although that was mostly on systems that had the Windows 7 recurring update issues. I'll be checking this out but hoping the cache/storage area is divided into separate OS versions/platforms so I can take with me only those I need.