Screeny (Kaemsoft) - screen capture

Post details of freeware that are found to be not portable here. Posts in the submissions forum relating to freeware found to be not portable should also be moved here.
webfork

Screeny (Kaemsoft) - screen capture

#1 Post by webfork »

Not to be confused with the same-named Screeny (https://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1608), another static and video screencapture program with an editor program. Looks interesting so I decided to check it out but had mixed results:

Steps
  • 1. Download setup and run Universal Extractor 2
    2. Launch Screeny4.exe
Status: Unclear. Unfortunately on my system there's a brief setup process followed by the program auto-closing. For now I'll throw this under "Not portable"

The website is in German but the program starts in English.

Website: http://www.kaemsoft.de/CM/ - brace yourself for music intro
Translation: https://translate.google.com/translate? ... edit-text=

License: Liteware for personal use only

Requires: XP+

webfork

Re: Screeny (Kaemsoft) - screen capture

#2 Post by webfork »

Update here ...

I tried a few more tricks to get it to work but without success (tried the install-copy-uninstall trick). There's no way I can tell to make this portable.

For the program itself, I liked a lot of the ideas behind it including a simple screen capture process, basic checkboxes for nice effects to add, and an easy format selection pane. The editor was clear with bold objects, easy drag-and-drop, and even layers.

Unfortunately the program is still largely in German, some of the editor controls didn't work right (crop doesn't do anything), and it crashed on my first actual test. Maybe this is in some beta stage so I'll probably wait another year before testing.

I am Baas

#3 Post by I am Baas »

It is possible to run Screeny as a standalone program but it writes to Screeny4Pro folder in AppData\Roaming (I have not checked the Registry)

webfork

#4 Post by webfork »

I am Baas wrote:It is possible to run Screeny as a standalone program but it writes to Screeny4Pro folder in AppData\Roaming (I have not checked the Registry)
Hey! Long time :)

Thanks for the detail there.

smaragdus

Re: Screeny

#5 Post by smaragdus »

Links
Website
Feature Comparison
Softpedia
gHacks

Limitations
  • commercial use
  • Up to 3 simultaneous output targets
  • store video in WMV format
  • store video in FLV format
  • store video in SWF format
  • Project file (* .SP4)
  • File Explorer folder freely selectable
  • Save projects as an object file
  • Macro selection in Toolbar
  • Quick Settings in Toolbar
For me Screeny Website automatically switches to English, yet the user can choose the preferred language from the bottom left corner.
Maybe this is in some beta stage so I'll probably wait another year before testing.
Screeny is old- the Softpedia Article first appeared on the Internet Archive on 2010-10-07 when Screeny was at version 3.0.7, so the program is not Beta.

Screeny is fat, as of version 4.2.1 (released on 2018-04-03) the installer (Setup.exe) is 24.6 MB, the installer extracted is 64.9 MB. Perhaps much of the bloat is due to its ability to record video.

Screeny is multilingual- as of version 4.2.1 it supports 14 languages.

Screeny is ugly (for me)- Windows 10 style plus ribbon plus hideous tool-bar buttons is too much for me to be willing to test it. I have the best two commercial graphic capture tools plus the best free ones which is enough for my needs. To test a commercial graphic capture program it should be something exceptional which Screeny doesn't seem to be.

webfork

Re: Screeny4Free (Kaemsoft) - screen capture

#6 Post by webfork »

Update: Updated back in September and now a freemium program called "Screeny4Free" (difference between free and full is here: https://www.kaemsoft.de/CMW/screeny-funktionsvergleich/).

Notes:

* Retested with Uniextract2 without success to have it run portably
* Still lots of the program in German including setup, in the program, the license, and even error codes
* Video recording wasn't an improvement over current options
* Still buggy

I still really like the design of the program but it's still not ready (at least for English speakers).