Hootr (formerly Vermin) podcast downloader

Post details of freeware that are found to be not portable here. Posts in the submissions forum relating to freeware found to be not portable should also be moved here.
webfork

Hootr (formerly Vermin) podcast downloader

#1 Post by webfork »

It's labeled as a podcast tool but includes IRC, torrents, internet radio stations, RSS, youtube downloader. There's a lot here. Initial testing suggests the most powerful function might be the integrated Podcast and Torrent search tool.

Steps:
  • 1. Download and install
    2. Copy to another folder and uninstall
    3. Launch varmint.exe
  • Not portable - writes to C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\Vermin
Screenshot:
Sites:

smaragdus

Re: Vermin podcast downloader

#2 Post by smaragdus »

Some months ago I tested Vermin version 1.95 and I got the impression that the program was unfinished, it crashed several times and I lost interest.

Now I tested the portable version by thumbapps which webfork mentioned- it seems to be portable and stealth.

I managed to download a torrent but after restart the downloaded torrent disappears from program window so it works as one-time torrent downloader.
I again experienced several crashes. The RSS module is unable to import feeds from OPML files (or perhaps I didn't find how to do it).

Some more nuisances- at program start Vermin offers to:

associate with torrents:

download some standard podcasts:

These offers cannot be permanently rejected so I have to decline them time and again on every program start and I find this extremely annoying.

Although Vermin can be minimized to system tray it doesn't offer tray control.

It seems that Vermin requires .NET.

Some more links:
Twitter Page
Vermin at thumbapps
thumbapps portable version at SourceForge
Vermin at Soft32
Vermin at AlternativeTo

I hope that the upcoming version 2.00 will be a huge improvement to the current version (1.95) which I didn't like at all despite the clean interface- I find Vermin to be very unstable (it crashes at start and on exit), it tries to do many things but does none of them well.

webfork

Hootr - podcast downloader

#3 Post by webfork »

So this program got renamed to Hootr and there's an update:

http://www.softpedia.com/progChangelog/ ... 51335.html